Doing it wrong - common mistakes and how to aviod them

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
sikor

Doing it wrong - common mistakes and how to aviod them

Post by sikor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:09 pm

hi, in this thread i'd like to gather the problems/dead ends you have met and conquered on your path, so it will save people's time to solve them on their own. i dont want you to talk about the general idea of enlightenment because there are millions of definitions that mean something only when you understand what enlightenment is. i'll start

1. labeling enlightenment.

Labeling is a pure ego characteristic as you probably know. what we often seem to do is we read a big amount of stuff about enlightenment and even though we don't feel it right now/never felt it yet, we tend to have this false mental image of what enlightenment is. and we think about this mental image and we try go inside it. have you ever read a book about a a person, and by the end you had an exact image in you mind of what he looked like? and than you, googled his name, he looked completely and i mean completely different? same with enlightenment. you may even gain awareness, but you won't notice it because it's not the same as you pictured it will be like.

My solution: change approaches. you have this world of enlightenment that you created by reading tolle/adya that you have created. i recommend douglas harding if you got too much tolle. he has completely different perscpetcive on this, but in the end this is the same thing. i think that way to little peopple know about him (i found him yesterday)
do this
http://www.headless.org/experiments.htm
or the youtube movies may be better for you.
http://www.youtube.com/user/headexchange

ask yourself how you view enlightenment. and if you see some sucjective image - change approach.

2. Planning

Ego also seems to function as an organiser that reminds and pushes you to do stuff you said to yourself you will do later. (it's also where the procrastination comes from, you got this thought you cant get rid off that tells you what to do, but you dont really dont feel like it, so you make rational excuses to yourself. ) you have to learn to avoid this. it really disrupts your thoughts.

My solutions:
-learn to let go of ego. fuck this thing that keeps hanging above you reminding you that you have to do meditation today. don't procrastinate, dont say you will do it later, just drop this thing thats coming from your ego. there are 2 ways to do it. either don't do it at all (and don't plan doing it at later time) or do it right now. spontaneously. in awareness state every idea is a good idea, so just do the thing right now without forcing yourself to do it. the second you get the thought decide to either drop the idea completely or do it now. procrastination is your huge enemy

-i also like to write down my plans. this method takes most of the organizing pressure out of ego. when you feel you had important thought that you should remember just write it down, because remembering things or should i say forcing yourself to remember things engages ego. write down anything you have to do, most likely you will remember it anyway, but you consciousness will not be whispering to you. i write very chaotically on my word document just to have a peace in mind that it's somewhere there and it wont fade if i dont think about it. just for calming ego, i noticed that i don't usually read those notes. 1 more thing: when i want to say something important to someone(or actually not really important, but labeled by my ego as important), i tend to simulate the conversation in my mind very often and it's very exhausting. and i keep doing it until i tell him that/drop the idea of telling him/writing down what i wanted to say.

Onceler

Re: Doing it wrong - common mistakes and how to aviod them

Post by Onceler » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:50 pm

From my point of view, you can't do it wrong.

Mistakes, dead ends, pain, suffering, tedium, grandiosity, posting on spiritual forums, etc, are all integral to consciousness and to awareness. To become aware in the middle of all this and just be with it, is all we need to do.

Which part of consciousness/awareness labels something as wrong or right?
Be present, be pleasant.

sikor

Post by sikor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:27 pm

The things that slowed me down and i had to take time and effort to figure them out, to notice them. I "labeled" them as wrong because there is not enough room in the subject field, and i couldn't think of any other way to put it in. Surely someone would gain more by figuring it out by himself, but things are often right in front of us and we just can't notice them. This forum, Tolle's books etc., all of them are pointing out the obvious for us.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 am

I know what you are saying Sikor, and I seek for this as well. But, do we have to have a crystalline sense of "rightness" and enlightenment, or is there peace and awareness in what is wrong? If this is the case, then we are here already. We have arrived when we shake hands with what is wrong, sit with it, and have some coffee, while we watch it unfold in all it's wondrous wrongness, until it is becomes right.

There is no where else to go is there?
Be present, be pleasant.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Bit by bit!!
1. Enlightenment.....totally agree with you sikor....but then why bother with Harding? LOL

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Great post!

Awakening is so very simple, just being right here, right now--the mind of course screams at the simplicity and runs off. The obstacles come in many forms--but generally it's about clinging to concepts, whether we chase spirituality, meditation, cling to beautiful methaphors about awakening, think that we're on a noble and sensitive, maybe this is why there so many "life coaches" around--whatever it is, it is the ego clinging to concepts. It is so simple that if we are not awakened, it is only because of an obstacle we've created...and thinking about it will not expose, just being right here right now will suss it out.

I like Leonard Jacobson's simplicity on this: just be present, and watch out for the things that take you out of presence.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Planning.....erm....this got a bit confusing for me! All I know is "thinking" is the cause of a lot of problems! Lack of acceptance is also the cause of a lot of problems! Negativity is the cause of a lot of problems! Impatience/intolerance is the cause of a lot of problems! No Self No Problem! That way NOTHING can be WRONG!! lol :lol:

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:55 pm

just be present, and watch out for the things that take you out of presence
Tolle says to be like a cat watching a mouse hole.
I think it can be elaborated to being like a cat inside the mouse hole itself which is vast and where most anything can happen, listening for anything and for nothing.
In the living room, eating oatmeal, am I in a state of mind, such that if a meteor crashed through the roof, the event would be immediately accepted?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:59 am

I don't often laugh out loud in reading these posts, but this one made me do it:!!
In the living room, eating oatmeal, am I in a state of mind, such that if a meteor crashed through the roof, the event would be immediately accepted?
What a funny, poignant question. Unfortunately, I think the brain-stem would send up a big fight-or-flight signal - at least for me. If I could get past that, then, maybe the event could be accepted. It kind of reminds me of the skydiving scene in "Enlightenment, The Damndest Thing" by Jed McKenna (whom several believe is Adyashanti...).

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:56 am

I don't often laugh out loud in reading these posts, but this one made me do it:!!
I'm happy to have amused. :D
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm

I laugh all the time...... " Who the hell is General Tolle!" :lol:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 pm

He's a guy who liked sweet-hot chicken...General Tolle's Chicken. And if it was cold, he would send it back. :)
Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 pm

A cold dead chicken?!! :lol:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Doing it wrong, etc....

Hating and fighting what you define as the ego is doing it wrong. Although it is the vestigial and unnecessary oppositional, self-defensive, barrier-building ego that has missed the mark, that "false self" is not the true expression of your uniqueness.

In form, in duality, you are unique. It is through this infinite variety, of the many "individual little me's" that the full magnificence and love of the absolute Being is expressed, is manifested. You can have and enjoy a loving, happy unconditioned personality and be thoroughly comfortable with it and thereby radiate, in your own special way, a singular wavelength, a Sourcebeam of pure Presence. From John Welwood in "The Sacred Mirror", chapter 6:
Individuation is the process of bringing the absolute into human form -- the "form" of our person, animated by our capacity for personal interrelational presence, embodied in the world.

Namaste, Andy

Susan

Post by Susan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:14 pm

As a teacher of meditation, I think it is important to realize that the so-called 'guru's' do have access to information which the rest of us may not. Having said that, we are at risk of venerating them and attributing beliefs to them that are not true. We struggle in our own humanity as do those we venerate. Doing that, puts us in their business and not our own. They are merely our teachers. We don't live or experience their struggles. We only hear what they are willing to share.

I took a two year break from teaching meditation. I was burned out in my own journey and didn't feel I was at a high enough evolution to teach others. Clearly, I was being too hard on myself. Back to teaching now, I still feel the same way and have considered going back on another break. My point with this is that no one gets it all.

When we focus on "TRYING" to be perfect in our own journeys, we miss the mark completely. Consciousness is not about perfection. Nor is it about "TRYING." Rather, it is about "being." Sometimes we feel as though we are in the zone, other times we feel as though we struggle. Holistically speaking, be easy on yourself. Laugh often and do enjoy the journey. As my late Mom used to remind me, "no one gets out of here alive."

Smiles. And give yourself a hug. :D