physical pain

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
jkhonghun@yahoo.com

physical pain

Post by jkhonghun@yahoo.com » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi,

I am wandering if there is anybody here who has a chronic illness? For several years now i have expreienced different kinds of symptoms of a phsycosomaic illess. symtpoms like, tension, fatigue,panic attacks, indigestion , acid reflux etc.. All my researches lead to anxiety as the main cause. I understand that this is the result of a heavy ego or painbody. I also remember eckhart sayinh that the pain body acts like a parasite leaving your body weak and deteriorated after its feeding.

Is there anybody out there who can share their experiences and give some advice. thanks!

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Oh dude....

I have suffered from non stop chronic and / or acute physical pain for some 13 years now. Chronic pain syndrome, basically nerve damage. Some nerves are permanently switched onto pain long after the original injury has been healed. And the condition spreads as the naughty nerves seem to switch adjacent nerves onto pain as well. So headaches, neck and back pain, groin pain and general body ache are the dishes on my menu for the day! :D

How do I deal with it?

Well firstly I realised that the story in my head that I built around the pain was crippling my mind, destroying my life and making myself and those around me deeply unhappy.

The story starts with "It is not fair" and ends in "I want to blow up the entire planet" taking in self - pity, anger and desperation along the way.

The story is the incessant resistance to my pain that I underwent day in day out, year in year out. I seemed to think that if I hated my pain strongly enough it would go away. But all it did was create a level of psychic pain to match the physical pain.

So I dropped the story. I began to notice birdsong...the laughter of children. Wind on water and sun upon the leaves that flutter in the breeze. In short, I noticed that it was, is a beautiful world. And that my pain didnt alter that fact at all.

I acknowledged that the story was worse than useless, and began to be present to it whenever it arose. So as soon as that voice said "This is so unfair" I was able to spot it and say "aha! thats the story, Im not going there!"

And when the story goes all I had was the pain. And strangely the pain is so much easier without the story. I can hold pain in the palm of my hand. But with the story I cannot help but be overwhelmed by the pain.

As time went on and Eckhart Tolle came into my life in a meaningful way, I simply see this pain as an appearance to mind. I no longer invest a sense of self into it. Its no longer "I am in pain" but rather, "there is pain".

And again, total acceptance. And from there absolute peace.

It has certainly helped me to live for the day!

And to find the sufferings of others as being significant.

Hope this helps. And good luck with your health. Don't get me wrong, if there was apill they invented tomorrow that would remove this pain I would be there like a shot!

But I wouldnt expect being pain free to be a cause of happiness. if it was then pain free people would be happy. And for the most part they are not.

I can strongly recommend acupuncture and Brandon Bay's The Journey therapies though.

So don't let that story take over your thinking. And enter the now, presence, source....and realise that pain is simply another appearance to mind. it isn't personal...

Lots of love and much healing to you...

Larry of Froot.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:27 pm

LarryFroot, what a wonderful post. Beautifully written and heartfelt.

I think you exemplify how adversity can be beneficial to awakening. Pain, especially cronic pain, is only a thing. By adding a story to it, suffering then becomes an ever present distraction or, more accurately, an identifyer. It becomes part of that separate identity that we believe we are.

By seeing pain as just more content within that which we are, it not only becomes tolerable, but also, if we see it without judgement, clarifying.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:08 pm

Thank you webwanderer.

It seems as if my experience has been two pronged. firstly there is the story about the pain being (mercifully) released. This is pretty straightforward and commonsensical. So perhaps we can call this a conventional realisation.

Secondly is the experience of pain as an appearance only. When there is no self mixed up in that construct of personality and personal history and indeed body, then the experience of pain isn't personal. it is rather like watching a movie. Perhaps we can call this an unconventional realisation.

Yes there is pain. And no, there is no suffering.

Fear, frustration and anxiety are all part of the trip with chronic pain. With these factors gone, one can live a fine, full life irregardless.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

jkhonghun@yahoo.com

realilzation

Post by jkhonghun@yahoo.com » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Hey dude,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I realize that i do have a voice in my head that keeps telling me not to accept my situation. When i start to feel some pain, my thoughts switch to thoughs of resentment and anger which makes my body tense and eventually worsen the pain.

I also realize that maybe my ego is disguised as somebody who wants to cure the pain therefor it is always thinking about it, but the reality is that the more i think about it the more pain i get. And the thoughts can be so overpowering sometimes that i really feel that i am going to die?

i think i'll be able to manage this and just take it as challenge. thanks again fopr reminding me acceptancec. Hope you continually get better.

weichen

Post by weichen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Great post LarryFroot!

I want to add my two cents

1. short term
full attention to the pain seem to reduce the pain. When I am getting my blood drawn for medical test, (instead of looking away as I did in the past) I now put full attention when (and where) the needle enter my arm, I do not feel a thing, completely no pain. very strange.

2. long term
full attention to the pain is (implicitly) full attention to the body, it turns off thinking, it quench the thirst of the body (body needs far more attention than we normally give them). It nurishes the body and boost immune system and speed up body recovery. I believe the habit of inhabitating the body (as ET put it) in the long term would help resolve the underlying physical problem.

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:10 pm

I get stressed easily and now I also feel I may be suffering depression. I think this might be something I've had for a while but just never realised before. I also suffer acid reflux and doctors can't figure out why despite all the tests. I hate having to take these darned proton pump inhibitors... :(

weichen

Post by weichen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:41 am

Originally posted by mccpcorn
I also suffer acid reflux and doctors can't figure out why despite all the tests. I hate having to take these darned proton pump inhibitors...
Mccpcorn,
I assume you have checked that it is not due to bacteria in stomach.
Proton pump inhibitor can help the SYMPTOM of some type of Ulcer, doctors claim that it can even cure ulcer. But we know it is not permanent cure, because the root of ulcer is identifying with the mind, overthinking (and suffering). So real cure of ulcer can only come fromh BREAKING UP with mind identification.

Breaking up with mind identification is extremely broad. It could be simple changes such as breaking away from old destructive hobby (e.g. playing computer game) and replace with new hobby such as "spending more time on ET forum". It could be doing meditation half an hour every day.

But it often means making difficult major decision ("difficult " is old mind's label, when you disidentify from your mind, they are no longer difficult anymore), If you are a graduate student pursuing a Ph.D degree in science, breaking up with mind identification may mean quit Science. If you have a deadend demanding job and have many unresolved issues, it may mean quit the job. ET quit his narrow sense academic job and live without income for several years (his money runs out just when his PON is completed).

Hope your suffering gives you strength to withdraw from your conditioned mind and do the needful

weichen

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:26 am

Thanks for that, weichen.

Yeah I have no bacteria or ulcers - they made me swallow one of those camera things and had a good look round and all they could was that the stomach lining was red. They just don't know why.

I suspect it may be tied into stress or emotions so I'm actively trying to explore the Now in relation to my help. I think my pain body is fighting back because all of a sudden I have all these little niggles whereas before I've always been disgustingly healthy and hardly ever needed to visit a doctor.