Getting lost in thought

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
lilly83

Getting lost in thought

Post by lilly83 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi All,

I haven't written on this forum for awhile because ive been lost in thought, literally. Iv learnt a few good lessons while i have been away and that is, by experience i know that i cannot continue to get taken away and lost in my thoughts as it always takes me to the same place of unhappiness and seeking happiness from the external and not from within and it clearly doesnt work as i always end up unhappy and doing things that i know better not to do! Through my meditation and practicing what eckhart and so many like him teach, it is true that true happiness is found within and not from without. When i have become lost in thought, everything feels so unclear, but now things seem clearer again and this has been a big lesson for me. Just thought Id share this with you.

'Have the courage to face your emotions and look them in the eye, dont let them overpower you and take your power so you crumble and react. As you face you fears and emotions, you face years of conditioning and reactive patterns, you pull the old dusty cloth off them that has sat on them for years, now they are bare, out for all to see, nowhere to hide'

Kind Regards'
Lilly83

karmarider

Re: Getting lost in thought

Post by karmarider » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Wonderful! My experience is similar to yours. It's all about being present and releasing.

Releasing is tricky because the fear that comes up in many people is that they think they have to fully face up to their emotions to be able to release, and they are afraid to fully face up. I remind people not to worry about that, because we never have to go beyond the edge of fear.

Awareness and release is the two-step dance of awakening. With practice the nature of effort and attention and acceptance and forgiveness and all the rest which we may be confused about reveals on its own, and it may reveal faster if we don't fixate on particular ideas or views.

Welcome back.

ib42

Post by ib42 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:29 pm

I am aware of my deep, fearful thoughts and emotions. It's releasing them that seems impossible, like not thinking about the color green.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 am

ib - Eckhart talks about people not having the "off" switch for the mind. But you will find it, as the "space between thoughts" becomes more familiar. Pretty soon, that space becomes your home. Thoughts are never resisted. As they surface, let them have their little moment of glory, in your confident presence. They will fizzle. Sometimes they bring along a little piece of fear. Invite that in also. It will fizzle. Learn to love the color green. It will get pretty boring. but never force it away. After a while, it will become a joke.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 am

"We have a fear of facing ourselves. That is the obstacle. Experiencing the innermost core of our existence is very embarrassing to a lot of people. A lot of people turn to something that they hope will liberate them without their having to face themselves. That is impossible. We can't do that. We have to be honest with ourselves. We have to see our gut, our excrement, our most undesirable parts. We have to see them. That is the foundation of warriorship, basically speaking. Whatever is there, we have to face it, we have to look at it, study it, work with it and practice meditation with it."

~ Chogyam Trungpa

Duane

Post by Duane » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Hey ralph how do you practice mediation with it?

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Great quote, Ralph! Well said, Andy.
Whatever is there, we have to face it, we have to look at it, study it, work with it and practice meditation with it.

Hey ralph how do you practice mediation with it?
I would use Self-inquiry and then rest in what is found.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:21 am

how do you practice mediation with it?
......another way is to be 'present' with what arises in this moment (especially the repressed thoughts that keeps showing its face every now and then) and then see what happens. This takes courage because we believe these specific thoughts as who we are.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 am

This takes courage because we believe these specific thoughts as who we are.
Or we believe that we cannot escape them. Thereby we are defined by our fears, and our fears become "an important part of us." It is poobah. And you can prove it to yourself by releasing them The Sedona Method is a powerful tool for this -- the book by Dworskin is sufficient. karmarider has another technique which has helped many, also -- on his website.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce