Getting off the treadmill of "importance"

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
MatthewCromer

Getting off the treadmill of "importance"

Post by MatthewCromer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:14 pm

For a long time I felt that I should only do things which were "important", which would help me "progress" on "my journey towards enlightenment".

Seeing that everything is consciousness, that there is no "arrival" because we are already here, the realization came that I can fully enjoy every experience without the nagging non-presence of ego demanding that I do things that are "important".

So I broke out a thriller novel written by a friend of mine, and read it through. He's a great writer, and I really enjoyed the play of nested identities. The unconditioned experiencing being Matthew experiencing being a character in a novel. Nothing to do with any kind of self-important supposed "spiritual journey". And I didn't nag myself afterwards about "wasting my time".

Life is like that, we can dive in to experiences, live them, and come up again into the clear air of emptiness. No need to force-fit them into some kind of mind-made story of a "struggle to find oneself". Just the pure freedom of consciousness watching life unfold.
Last edited by MatthewCromer on Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:32 pm

Matthew wrote:Life is like that, we can dive in to experiences, live them, and come up again into the clear air of emptiness. No need to force-fit them into some kind of mind-made story of a "struggle to find oneself". Just the pure freedom of consciousness watching life unfold.
Matthew, I really enjoy how your insights are posed with such sparkling clarity.

In my life I was always looking for that career path which I thought would really make me special, not only special in my eyes but in the eyes of others. Being special in what I did for a living was the defining characteristic I was looking for. When I finally saw through this as egoic a huge weight lifted. The "story of me" dynamic was exposed for what it was: an illusion, pursued and believed in by an illusion.

k

lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:38 am

I was thinking of this general topic yesterday. It is great to know we don't *have* to do anything in particular. :D

I think pretty near all my actions were previously driven by this kind of thinking. It is like a huge weight off my shoulders to realize this isn't necessary. So freeing. :D

Keith--I also had similar feelings in a way. I wanted to do something "important." It didn't have to be seen as important by the world but I had to feel it was "important." Tolle's The New Earth talks about this kind of thing in the section on egos, I think. One time I remember kind of early on when I started seeing through this was my sophomore year in college. We were on the bus on the way back from a swim meet and I suddenly realized that I no longer cared what others thought of my swimming and that all my motivation to swim competively just *vanished* with this realization. I was *shocked* to realize *all that work* (I really worked hard!) and all those hours, etc were really all about making other people think of me in a certain way. Take that away and I didn't feel like swimming anymore at all! At the time I found this very upsetting and thought something was wrong and wanted one of the coaches to help me get back my motivation. I was never able to regain my motivation to swim that way again and I never was able to regain motivation to do *anything* with the intensity I put into swimming because of that realization. It might have been the beginning of the end. :D