humble beings

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
thenow

humble beings

Post by thenow » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:53 am

While driving on the street to work the other day, I noticed the bags and bags of trash overflown out of the trash barrels in front of houses and stores.

It occurred to me the other day how much trash I am generating all the time. Sometimes I am surprised how fast I have to throw my trash out, while I am not even using much or buying much. But I constantly am bringing out trash. Where do they come from?

While walking in the woods, I often am amazed by how clean the woods is. All I see is leaves, twigs, dirts, all natural, all from nature, and going back to nature.

All animals in the nature are all so humble in the way they live and die. They come to this world, live, thrive, suffer, and die, following the natural cycle, bringing nothing to the world and bringing nothing with them when they leave.

Look around our human society. What a egocentric way of living. We somehow think that we can do whatever we want and we can change this world into the way we want it to be. We create so many stuff out of our litte heads to "solve problems" or to "make our lives better." We accumulate, resist, never satisfy, change, thinking that there is always somemthing wrong with where we are or who we are or what we do. We constantly want to be somewhere else better, going soomewhere else or creating something, or thinking something.

Why can't we just learn from the animals and the nature? Be humble. Surrender. All animals have come and go in all type of circumstances, why think that we should be any different or that we should always be comfortable, happy, healthy, strong, successful?

Tears come pouring out from my eyes.

Can't we be like a tree or the grass and be humble and flexible?

Only then can our true nature shines through.

Webwanderer

Re: humble beings

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Why can't we just learn from the animals and the nature? Be humble. Surrender.
It sounds so idyllic, so Utopian, but the truth isn't so attractive. I like to watch the nature shows: "Life", "Planet Earth", etc. Last night I was watching one on birds. In it it showed an island off South Africa where White Pelicans nested. As local fish stocks were depleted the pelicans changed their normal behavior and flew to a neighboring island and began eating the young chicks of another bird species. It was hard to watch. The point is that the animal world on pretty much all levels is brutal. It's about survival and power and control. Fighting over territory and breeding rights is the norm. There's no justice as humans know it. It's just strength and power.

Life in the insect world is even tougher. It is an ongoing slaughter. Eat or be eaten. Even the plant kingdom is a predatory environment. Plants constantly feed off of and strangle each other for control of territory.

I'm not suggesting there is something wrong in this. It's just the way things are. But that also goes for the world of humans. We have a niche in the world, and fortunately a level of awareness that allows us to see the cause and effect of our actions. Your post was an expression of that. You see some of the negative effects of a developing society. But as you and others see these effects, something can be done about it. What a blessing it is to have a trash pickup. Someone saw a problem and created a system to address it. Yes it's usually just hauled off to a landfill somewhere creating another problem, but even that is improving. There are now movements to recycle much of our waste and treat the the landfills to negate the environmental effects. Many places have public incinerators to destroy our trash so it never gets to landfills.

There is certainly a long way to go, but at least we have a consciousness that sees the necessity in improving the structures we live in. Meanwhile our primary task is to see the truth about our self/Self. The clearer we become, the more willing we are to work together to create better living environments.

WW

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:50 pm

More than the physical trash, which is daunting enough, I think of all the mounds of psychic trash I generate. I'm constantly carrying this to the curb or simply letting it pile up... in this case, awareness may be the ultimate recycler.
Be present, be pleasant.

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 am

thenow wrote: Tears come pouring out from my eyes.
Can't we be like a tree or the grass and be humble and flexible?
Same here- Do we need a 300hp SUV? Do we need a 4000sq ft house?
Many of the things our society treasures exploits the planet.
Many economists may say how wonderful now that China and India are expanding the middle class.
A Zen moment, maybe :?

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

As WW points out, life is fundamentally unfair. We cannot comprehend the reason for this, but one reason may be this: If we can accept the fundamental unfairness of life and yet allow it to unfold as it supposed to then we are really on the path to awakening.

Awakening means giving up all opinions, including those which you think are correct or good :)

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 pm

For what it's worth, I'd offer the speculation that perhaps the reason dualistic frameworks have been so successful in recent human history is due to their cynical pragmatism.

"SOME fool is going to act like a savage and slaughter his neighbor, so we gotta' have some LAWS, right?"

Only through the duality of "true" and "false" do we derive the dependent dichotomy of "right" and "wrong" and the cultural-based value judgments that follow.

Ultimately, the world of Form is dualistic, and to live in it we have no choice but to surrender to the necessity of making choices.

Namaste,

snowheight
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Ultimately, the world of Form is dualistic, and to live in it we have no choice but to surrender to the necessity of making choices.
That's right. Make your choice and then accept whatever the outcome of that choice without resistance.

Barb

Post by Barb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 pm

thenow wrote: Why can't we just learn from the animals and the nature? Be humble. Surrender. All animals have come and go in all type of circumstances, why think that we should be any different or that we should always be comfortable, happy, healthy, strong, successful?
What you've said resonates so truly for me right now. I took a beginner course in bee-keeping over the week-end and came away in such awe of the life and world of bees. At one point the thought occured to me, 'what could humans accomplish if we functioned like bees - each individual a part of the whole with no thought or concept of self?' It was a humbling experience.

BTW, i can't wait to get a hive going so i can continue to connect with and learn from all those little girls. :)