So very vast..

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
sunnyjo

So very vast..

Post by sunnyjo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Today I don't seem to be looking out from within this body. It seems that I am outwith the body but I can't pinpoint any particular place that I am looking from...

Seem to be looking from everywhere!
"We are the mirror, as well as the face in it"

Rumi

18andlife

Re: So very vast..

Post by 18andlife » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Yes indeed, it's quite something to view this saha-world with a degree of clarity and detail which is far beyond the capacity of our physical brains. Everytime things are seen in this way it always occurs to me that even if I could bring one small fragment of it into my physical brain my whole head would probably explode into confetti. It's so vast and so crystal clear that it just wouldn't fit.

I was reading a really interesting qualitative study of awareness here:

http://baumanninstitute.org/bi_study.php

And one passage from the report really struck me:

"There was another experience that I had in deep sleep – it’s close to indescribable if at all describable ‐ where I could see that awareness doesn’t depend on the brain, which was one of the things that I still held to, that there must be a connection between awareness and the brain. But I knew that my electronical (brain) pattern wouldn’t allow for awareness in that very moment because everything was just dead asleep, and yet I was having the experience of spacious awareness. That just showed me that it’s exactly the same awareness in all states."

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 pm

sunnyjo wrote:Today I don't seem to be looking out from within this body. It seems that I am outwith the body but I can't pinpoint any particular place that I am looking from...

How very cool. :D
Rest here often.

WW

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Today I don't seem to be looking out from within this body. It seems that I am outwith the body but I can't pinpoint any particular place that I am looking from...

Janaka said:

Master,
how is Knowledge to be achieved,
detachment acquired,
liberation attained?

Ashtavakra said:

To be free,
shun the experiences of the senses
like poison.
Turn your attention to
forgiveness, sincerity, kindness, simplicity, truth.

You are not earth, water, fire or air.
Nor are you empty space.
Liberation is to know yourself
as Awareness alone—
the Witness of these.

Abide in Awareness
with no illusion of person.
You will be instantly free and at peace.

You have no caste or duties.
You are invisible, unattached, formless.
You are the Witness of all things.
Be happy.

Right and wrong, pleasure and pain,
exist in mind only.
They are not your concern.
You neither do nor enjoy.
You are free.

You are the Solitary Witness
of All That Is,
forever free.
Your only bondage is not seeing This.

The thought: “I am the doer”
is the bite of a poisonous snake.
To know: “I do nothing”
is the wisdom of faith.
Be happy.

A single understanding:
“I am the One Awareness,”
consumes all suffering
in the fire of an instant.
Be happy.

You are unbounded Awareness—
Bliss, Supreme Bliss--
in which the universe appears
like the mirage of a snake in a rope.
Be happy.

You are Self—the Solitary Witness.
You are perfect, all-pervading, One.
You are free, desireless, forever still.
The universe is but a seeming in You.

Meditate on this: “I am Awareness alone--Unity itself.”
Give up the idea that you are separate, a person,
that there is within and without.

You have long been bound thinking:
“I am a person.”
Let the knowledge: “I am Awareness alone”
be the sword that frees you.

You are now and forever
free, luminous, transparent, still.
The practice of meditation
keeps one in bondage.

You are pure Consciousness—
the substance of the universe.
The universe exists within you.
Don’t be small-minded.

You are unconditioned, changeless, formless.
You are solid, unfathomable, cool.
Desire nothing.
You are Consciousness.

That which has form is not real.
Only the formless is permanent.
Once this is known,
you will not return to illusion.

Just as a mirror exists
both within and without
the image reflected,
the Supreme Self exists
both within and without the body.

Just as the same space exists
both within and without a jar,
the timeless, all-pervasive One
exists as Totality.
- Ashtavakra Gita.

:D

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sat May 01, 2010 5:36 am

:D indeed!
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

sunnyjo

Post by sunnyjo » Sat May 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Very beautiful words, Ananda

:D Thank you for the replies

Rumi

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sat May 01, 2010 1:52 pm

made my day, thanks Ananda :D
Who am I without my story?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat May 01, 2010 3:49 pm

An excellent contribution Ananda. Clear and beautiful. However, curiosity arises.
To be free,
shun the experiences of the senses
like poison.
Turn your attention to
forgiveness, sincerity, kindness, simplicity, truth.
To whom does Ashtavakra speak that could make the choice of where or how to turn "your" attention to?
Abide in Awareness
You will be instantly free and at peace

The thought: “I am the doer”
is the bite of a poisonous snake.
To know: “I do nothing”
is the wisdom of faith.
Be happy.
What qualities of being, existing in awareness, allows for the choosing, as suggested in this Gita, of clarity over identification with thought? To whom (and from whom) are these deeply insightful pointers addressed? Does the master speak to Janaka, who as an identity is not real? If not Janaka then who, or what?
Abide in Awareness
You will be instantly free and at peace.
Over and over again a wonderful guidance is offered. But who is the "you" to which the master speaks and encourages to make a choice? What has such capabilities of preferential discernment?

WW

sunnyjo

Post by sunnyjo » Sat May 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Over and over again a wonderful guidance is offered. But who is the "you" to which the master speaks and encourages to make a choice?
Now, there's a question :D

Rumi

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Sat May 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Over and over again a wonderful guidance is offered. But who is the "you" to which the master speaks and encourages to make a choice? What has such capabilities of preferential discernment?
To the Self, which is covered by the veil of ignorance. The Self has the ability of discernment, to discern between the real and the unreal etc.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sat May 01, 2010 7:42 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
What qualities of being, existing in awareness, allows for the choosing, as suggested in this Gita, of clarity over identification with thought? To whom (and from whom) are these deeply insightful pointers addressed? Does the master speak to Janaka, who as an identity is not real? If not Janaka then who, or what?
In this case it would be you, Webwanderer, the one asking the question but since there is 'no other ', I would have to agree with Ananda, because all there is is 'The Self'. The Self appearing as both question and answer, doing and undoing ,etc.

.... it's all Self.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sat May 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Ananda wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:Over and over again a wonderful guidance is offered. But who is the "you" to which the master speaks and encourages to make a choice? What has such capabilities of preferential discernment?
To the Self, which is covered by the veil of ignorance. The Self has the ability of discernment, to discern between the real and the unreal etc.
But isn't discernment an act ... specifically an act of judgment? Doesn't such an act in and of itself introduce an inherent duality? When one is discerned from another there is one, and then there is the other.

Yes, the Self is covered by this veil. Yes, there is the "real" and the "unreal", but the "real" encompasses the "unreal", and here we reach the limits of language to express Reality.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Ralph wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:
In this case it would be you, Webwanderer, the one asking the question but since there is 'no other ', I would have to agree with Ananda, because all there is is 'The Self'. The Self appearing as both question and answer, doing and undoing ,etc.

.... it's all Self.
So there is a doer!

Then could this Doer do from more than one perspective? Possibly from many, even infinite perspectives? Could it not also create unique realms to explore and experience though these many perspectives? And might what we term "you" and "I" (not the egoic me), be these perspectives doing what the Doer does from a temporary blindness to the greater perspective of Source (Ananda's suggestion of a veil of ignorance?)? And if these unique, but somewhat blind, perspectives actually exist, albeit in an imaginary capacity to the Essential Doer, do they serve some purpose to the Essential Doer?

Could there then be a divine purpose? After having learned the hard lessons of the nature of being in countless expressions in a myriad of realms, could there be a miraculous gift of life and ultimate godhood to an awakened perspective, as it returns to True Self awareness - to Source? Could these countless enlightened perspectives, having fulfilled their return endure indefinitely?..and possibly even repeat the process and develop multiple unique perspectives in there own right? Hmm.. this kind of creative doing could go on for eternity and never get boring.

Just having some fun considering the possibilities in the big picture. If a small human mind can envision such possibilities, how much grander must the reality be? Of course delusion is also a possibility. :wink:

WW

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sun May 02, 2010 12:51 am

Hmm.. this kind of creative doing could go on for eternity and never get boring.
it's all happening in imagination ...so I suggest you be done with it , all of it, unless, of course, you enjoy the ride. :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun May 02, 2010 2:02 am

In the AG, Janaka is the pupil, Ashtavakra is the guru. Of course the student is a quick study and soon spouts phrases just as pithy as his teacher. Typical of Vedantic writing, "I", "you," and "the wise man" are used freely. Of course, the audience is the unawakened masses...for whom there is only a world full of "separate selves." As such, we are encouraged to drop our attachments, longings, etc. All direct address is a grammatical device inherent in language. No one self-realized would need the lessons of the Gita.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce