At last, I 'know'

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Postby kiki » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:12 pm

Hi Barbara,

I like friend's response to your question. I will add, that in my opinion awareness enjoys the 'process' of Self discovery, and that wouldn't be possible without ego. If not for ego awareness would have nothing to do - just my opinion. It's not really an entity as such so it can't really do anything, but as an explanation it works for me.

On a more mundane level, because of ego 'you' turn around when someone calls your name. It is a tool for interacting with other apparent individuals. How that tool is used is unique.

kiki
kiki

Postby summer » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Yet, our pets don't have egos, and awareness operates in them. They respond to being called, and have a sense of individuality.

I seem to remember Eckhart saying that when he experienced his awakening that his ego collapsed. And now he percieves directly from his essence, rather than a conceptual identity called "Eckhart"?

I think I am still wondering what is a healthy ego? Perhaps we still use the conventional terms of "I" and "me", but we know that is not our real identity?
summer

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:53 pm

Yet, our pets don't have egos, and awareness operates in them. They respond to being called, and have a sense of individuality.

Yes, they come when called because they have been conditioned to hear their name - just as we have. Awareness is much less obstructed in animals because they don't (at least they don't seem to) have an egoic structure that keeps them in the past or thinking of the future. How much sense of inidividuality they have is debatable, probably some. If not exposed to human contact and allowed to roam freely in nature they exhibit few 'hangups' that humans have. The difference with animals is that they don't have the capacity for self-reflection as do humans. They are creatures through which awareness flows and they are in the moment without effort.

I seem to remember Eckhart saying that when he experienced his awakening that his ego collapsed. And now he percieves directly from his essence, rather than a conceptual identity called "Eckhart"?

Yes, his egoic structure collapsed suddenly. In most cases that collapse is gradual. When it's sudden the contrast is sharp and can be disorienting. When it's gradual there is a 'getting used to it' adjustment period with a 'going in and out of presence' until it stabilizes. After a while presence gets to be very 'normal'. There is no dwelling on the contrast of one's previous life after a while; that life, when thought about, is remembered as more of a dream life.

What is a healthy ego? I would say the one that promotes personal growth without interference or harm toward others. But 'healthy ego' is relevant only within the context of duality. I used to be concerned about having a 'healthy ego', but such concerns no longer arise.

It would be very awkward not to use conventional terms such as 'I' and 'me' in reference to awakening. That's why I sometimes put quotes around them, or capitalize You when referring to your core reality.

Postby quitesane » Wed May 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
Patrick

"Whatever works." - Tolle
quitesane

Postby ECM » Thu May 19, 2005 4:17 am

Most of the influences around are all so materialistic... all these people who are so deeply caught up in the illusion, and keep pulling me in, and so few things around me are there to remind me of the spiritual. And reading some of the posts on this board has a really good effect on me, of reminding me that there is so much more to life.

Yes-
I feel this as well....I work in retail... this is a materilistic

But to challenge this quote a bit in a very well meant and constructive way-
Isn't what you are saying a bit in an "egoic" state of mind. I tend to do this to folks I come in contact with and since I've gotten into the POW that tends to be my reaction-
Isn't saying that people caught up in the illusion is judging them and resisting their actions? I am 100% guity of this ...
Again- I have a hard time with this as well. All we are is Dust in the wind... come on folks.. we will all be in the ground one day rotting away right??!

;)
ECM

Postby heidi » Thu May 19, 2005 1:13 pm

Isn't saying that people caught up in the illusion is judging them and resisting their actions?

That's one of those divine paradoxes. There's an aspect to consciousness that needs to observe without judgement. But there's the bridge where one needs to judge (discern) what's judgement in order to get clear of it :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby quitesane » Thu May 19, 2005 2:10 pm

ECM wrote:Most of the influences around are all so materialistic... all these people who are so deeply caught up in the illusion, <snipped for space> Yes-I feel this as well....I work in retail... this is a materilistic

Hear ye, hear ye!

It matters scarecely a whit's worth what you do. It is how you do it. Practice acceptance in your job/life situation and your peace will flow into whatever you do and whomever you come in contact with. Internal reality is primary (acceptance + peace = ), external reality, secondary (transformation).
Patrick

"Whatever works." - Tolle
quitesane

Previous

Return to Personal Experiences