Did anyone else experience this?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
huggyb

Did anyone else experience this?

Post by huggyb » Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi I am new to this forum, I read The Power of Now towards the end of last year and it blew me away. Since then I have been drifting in and out of conscious awareness until recently where I seem to be now gradually deepening every week.

I have just started to notice how silly people look on TV, especially shows like Loose Women, and some Panel Shows. I never noticed how childish they act, so absorbed in their own opinions and judgements. I struggle to explain in words what I mean but I wondered if anyone else started to see people in a different light and what it felt like?

Its so visible now, before it just looked normal.

azooo

Re: Did anyone else experience this?

Post by azooo » Mon May 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Be wary. This could be a "relapse" of your ego telling you how inferior they are in this "egoic" state.

HandfullaMinerals

Post by HandfullaMinerals » Thu May 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Those opinions and judgments, it's best not to get too attached to them.

Don't know if it's of any help, but look at your own opinions and judgments (I think we all have our share). Notice the complexity behind every one that you hold and every one that you voice.

These lies a gulf between opinions and judgments that you hold and the voicing of those opinions.

You could write for years, but none whatsoever reflects the inner realm.

See those people you judged, they vaguely know where each other is coming from.

2 cents...

-HM
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

Rick

Post by Rick » Thu May 19, 2011 6:19 pm

We are all born with perfect perception. It is the world that works hard to make us doubt it and thereby separate us from it. The world teases, tempts and ridicules us as it can not stand being looked at with innocent eyes. We in turn get upset and angry producing guilt which in turn creates doubt and gradually we lose the Light by which we see.

One day my young son was upset by some mean comment his grandfather made. He voiced his upset out loud and his grandmother said "Don't say such things about your grandfather. He's just saying this for your own good". I stepped in and said "No, he is right. The comment was mean spirited and meant to hurt. Do not try to confuse the boy". I told my son of the game that was being played, that he was being tricked into anger and that is how confusion comes into the mind...and that forgiveness and acceptance was the protector of right seeing. I saw it my job to protect his God given perception until he was old enough to do so for himself.

There is nothing wrong with seeing fools as fools, jerks as jerks or even a good person as a good person as long as we do not add negative emotion to it or puff up in pride. Perception is our protection and doubt is a Light killer. Stay even, stay calm, stay out of your mind, allow, forgive, accept and most of all, do not doubt what you see.
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Sat May 21, 2011 7:15 pm

I experienced a similar thing for a while - it still happens occasionally but the other posters are right, it's the ego trying to worm its way into your spiritual practice. For me, feelings like that serve as a reminder to be present and transmute those feelings. Remember when connected to your true aliveness there's just love, judgements, etc are on the surface and you're free to ignore them in presence.

Easier said than done!! Lol, try not to be disheartened by the rest of the world, it's supposed to be dissatisfying :p

uma

Post by uma » Sun May 22, 2011 8:00 am

I am not a good writer and can't explain myself so clearly but still I am opening my feelings.

I am really impressed with the following lines:

Notice the complexity behind every one that you hold and every one that you voice
Really under how complex situations a particular behaviour of a person is in front of us. It is the resultant of all the
possible possibilities which is not known to that person also.
We in turn get upset and angry producing guilt which in turn creates doubt and gradually we lose the Light by which we see
Yes, all these are mind games.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sun May 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Rick wrote:
We are all born with perfect perception. It is the world that works hard to make us doubt it and thereby separate us from it. The world teases, tempts and ridicules us as it can not stand being looked at with innocent eyes. We in turn get upset and angry producing guilt which in turn creates doubt and gradually we lose the Light by which we see.
Rick you have expressed this brilliantly. I can see this already happening to my 8 year old. We read Byron Katie’s book for children together often. It’s called ‘Tiger Tiger Is It True’. My daughter understands the basic concept that our thoughts are not our friends (need to be investigated) if they cause us pain and hurt, but struggles with the concept that even if they don’t, out thoughts are not really our friends. This tells me she is already vested in the dream, at the tender age of 8.
I saw it my job to protect his God given perception until he was old enough to do so for himself.
Oh, this brought tears to my eyes. Yes, I totally get you. I get somewhat hopeless at times if I think about it too much, until the hopelessness turns into acceptance and the acceptance into bliss.

Natalie

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Sun May 22, 2011 9:22 pm

huggyb wrote: I have just started to notice how silly people look on TV, especially shows like Loose Women, and some Panel Shows. I never noticed how childish they act, so absorbed in their own opinions and judgements. I struggle to explain in words what I mean but I wondered if anyone else started to see people in a different light and what it felt like?
Regardless of whether this is ego in guise it is likely that your recent sudden experience will change your tastes, your perceptions, and where energy is invested, regardless of whether or not this characterization of these people persists. As the others have suggested, don't invest judgment in that either way.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Huggyb wrote:
I went from watching an average of 3 hours of TV a day, to zero. I am not sure if it ever looked normal, but it wasn’t painful to watch then. Now it is. Watching TV now reminds me of the horror I endured 20 years ago when my now 28 year old son became obsessed with Steve Cold Austin, Razor Ramon and The Rock, and made me take him to all kinds of wrestling matches in my tri-county area.

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun May 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Natalie wrote: My daughter understands the basic concept that our thoughts are not our friends (need to be investigated) if they cause us pain and hurt, but struggles with the concept that even if they don’t, our thoughts are not really our friends. This tells me she is already vested in the dream, at the tender age of 8.
Yes. This points to something each of us must come to see through. Most of us can usually disregard the figurative "voice of the devil" whispering into your left ear. "Put your hand into the fire!" "Stab your dog!" "Drive your car into the on coming lane!" "Why don't you kill yourself!". These, perhaps even for the deepest sleeper, are easy to see as not our thoughts, as something we are not in agreement with and can be dismissed as "crazy nonsense" even if we are horrified that we have such thoughts in our head. But to see through the figurative "voice of the angel" whispering into our right ear...the one that speaks to us in our own voice, seemingly to be our conscience, that is the tricky one to grasp as being just as false as the obvious "evil" voice. But alas, it is part of the riddle of our existence and your daughter can not escape it altogether. Your Love for her will keep her from falling too deeply asleep before she awakes. She is very lucky to have you around.
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.

DanWyns

Post by DanWyns » Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 am

Do not judge anything. Judging perpetuates the false notion of separation.

Everything is a learning opportunity, if the mind is quiet.
“Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty” - John Lennon

WhatisMu

Post by WhatisMu » Tue May 24, 2011 5:48 pm

huggyb wrote:Hi I am new to this forum, I read The Power of Now towards the end of last year and it blew me away. Since then I have been drifting in and out of conscious awareness until recently where I seem to be now gradually deepening every week.

I have just started to notice how silly people look on TV, especially shows like Loose Women, and some Panel Shows. I never noticed how childish they act, so absorbed in their own opinions and judgements. I struggle to explain in words what I mean but I wondered if anyone else started to see people in a different light and what it felt like?

At this point in your life you are seeing things in a different way. Isnt that so amazing? To have things you never considered suddenly become visible to you? I can promise you that this will not be the last time you will experience such a shift. Have you ever seen the Ten Oxherding pictures?

http://www.jaysquare.com/ljohnson/ox-herding.html

It is amazing how our journeys are all so much alike over time, and especially wonderful that at one point we come back to "the world". Much like the Master who drinks wine and eats meat... we see that the people on TV are silly, they are childish, and they are us. It is the grandest, most awesome thing of all and we experience it all in different ways depending upon where we are in our journey that isnt a journey. LOL... I dont feel as though I am making a lot of sense, but perhaps you will get me? We cannot see what we cannot see, until we see it. And what we see will change and grow over time. This is only the start.

Cheers!
“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.”
- Tao Te Ching