Stop thinking.

Online videos are an integral part of our online experience, and finally they have their own section on the board.

Stop thinking.

Postby anton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm

this is me working on stopping the thinking box. enjoy
anton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U8CQKNvOTQ

thanks
anton

Re: Stop thinking.

Postby braveheart » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:58 pm

I really enjoyed it, thank you
braveheart

Postby garuda » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 pm

anton wrote:this is me working on stopping the thinking box. enjoy
anton.

Hello Anton,
Your video has demonstrated that you are aware of the redundant process of thinking. You have forgiven yourself for nearly every aspect of the thought process. Very nice sequence of noticing the process.

A few questions. And who or what is it that offers your forgiveness? Can you describe that? (rhetorical question). And who or what is wanting the thoughts to stop? Could your stated insistence on stopping the “thinking” create and reinforce another thought pattern that tries to keep the “desire for no thoughts” at bay? This is a very difficult task for most us, certainly me in the beginning. Some thoughts are necessary and appropriate, if for no other reason than to communiate. I'm sure you know that. Why not notice them mindfully and let them die out on their own?

Your determination is admirable. But be careful in a practice that tries to force the thoughts to stop. I could never do that successfully at will, at least in the beginning of my practice. But if you are in the advanced stages, you may be successful, and I applaud you. It is a challenging discipline. Thanks for sharing the video.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.
garuda

Postby anton » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 pm

hi garuda, thanks for your questions. please see my newly posted video on self-abuse for more clarity on who/what does forgiving on self-forgiveness. like swimming, you can only taste it by trying it, so i welcome you state those self-forgiveness lines of your own, and check the effectiveness of the tool for self.

braveheart, thanks for your comments.
anton

Postby Mouse » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:41 pm

garuda wrote:. And who or what is wanting the thoughts to stop?

It is the self knowledge of the individual that sees thought or thinking as the cause of suffering, and separation from the good of being now.
I have been inspired by Barry Long's teaching and I write this so as to acknowledge my source of inspiration. It is a wonderful help, and it is a wonderful gift.
Mouse

Postby 18andlife » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 pm

That is an extremely impressive approach, I've heard that affermations can have a very transformitive quality. An even moreso it's impressive in the way you routed out thinking and how it arises on many levels. I really appreciate that you brought thinking as it relates to death into the mix as well. I believe it was Trungpa Rinpoche who said "if you don't bring death into your practice, any realizations you make will be superficial at best." :wink:

The only thing that I would add is that coming from my own direct perspective I don't see thinking as anything other than the interaction of a sense object [thought] and a sense organ [mind]. So for me to forgive myself for thinking happening would be like forgiving myself for any other sense object [the wind] and any other sense organ [the skin] interacting.

However, I guess if you'd lived for decades with the wind blowing on your skin and all of a sudden it didn't happen anymore you might need to brace yourself and re-examine things, but thought and the emotions that accompany thought are just the same as the wind blowing as far as I can tell. For me the freedom is in seeing the interaction for what it actually is, not in finding ways to make it happen or not happen. The key of this route is to unmask thought as being a big deal, or being anything personal; I did that by knocking thought off it's pedestal and examining thought with the same directness and simplicity as the other 5 senses, hearing, touch, taste, seeing, smell.
18andlife

Postby anton » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:40 pm

braveheart , garuda, and others, you guys can add me to facebook, i have more self-forgiveness videos posted there. if it helps. ok my id is "anton j fernando" on FB.
anton

Return to Videos