Talks with Ramana Maharishi

runstrails

Talks with Ramana Maharishi

Post by runstrails » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm surprised there are no entries in this sub-forum. I'm reading Talks with Ramana Maharishi and I just love it (it available for a free download). His gentle, humble, yet no nonsense character really comes through. He never talks down to people and never shirks the tough questions. What other RM books can you recommend?
Here are some passages from Talks with RM. (note: M is Ramana Maharishi and D is the questioner--disciple, I presume).
D.: Why then is samsara - creation and manifestation as finitised - so full of sorrow and evil?
M.: God’s will!
D.: Why does God will it so?
M.: It is inscrutable. No motive can be attributed to that Power - no desire, no end to achieve can be asserted of that one Infinite, All-wise and All-powerful Being. God is untouched by activities, which take place in His presence; compare the sun and the world activities. There is no meaning in attributing responsibility and motive to the One before it becomes many. But God’s will for the prescribed course of events is a good solution of the free-will problem (vexata quaestio). If the mind is restless on account of a sense of the imperfect and unsatisfactory character of what befalls us or what is committed or omitted by us, then it is wise to drop the sense of responsibility and free-will by regarding ourselves as the ordained instruments of the All-wise and All-powerful, to do and suffer as He pleases. He carries all burdens and gives us peace.
D.: What is the nature of the Reality?
M.: (a) Existence without beginning or end - eternal. (b) Existence everywhere, endless, infinite.
(c) Existence underlying all forms, all changes, all forces, all matter and all spirit.
The many change and pass away (phenomena), whereas the One always endures (noumenon).
(d) The one displacing the triads, i.e., the knower, the knowledge and the known. The triads are only appearances in time and space, whereas the Reality lies beyond and behind them. They are like a mirage over the Reality. They are the result of delusion.

Ralph

Re: Talks with Ramana Maharishi

Post by Ralph » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 pm

runstrails wrote:I'm surprised there are no entries in this sub-forum. I'm reading Talks with Ramana Maharishi and I just love it (it available for a free download).
..that's because we are way too busy engaged in our mind activities and not realizing that there is a resting place outside the mind in which Ramana Maharshi talks about or is pointing to. :roll:

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:41 am

But wait there's more! An entry in the recommended books section exists: Talks Ramana
runstrails wrote:What other RM books can you recommend?
"The Essential Teachings of Ramana Maharshi" It's the opposite of the thick tome of text that is "Talks". It has a handful of his most direct pointers along with many pictures of him and his settings at Arunachala. Nobody reaches enlightenment without seeing Ramana in his loin cloth.

His famous Who Am I? inquiry dialog is available right here on the forum.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks for the links, rg. I too love to see images of Ramana Maharishi----such a peaceful glow and lack of self-consciousness (what does that term even mean anymore!). Self is radiantly shining through those eyes.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:36 am

oops ... sorry runstrails, please disregard my previous post .. I misread what was being said.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:49 am

No worries, Ralph.

In talks with Ramana Maharishi, this comes up:
Sri Bhagavan read out, from the Prabuddha Bharata, Kabir’s saying that all know that the drop merges into the ocean but few know that the ocean merges into the drop.
Is this another way to saying that "Emptiness is Form and Form is Emptiness".
I'd love some guidance on this since I'm fairly new to RM's works.

anewmirth

Post by anewmirth » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 pm

runstrails wrote:I too love to see images of Ramana Maharishi----such a peaceful glow and lack of self-consciousness (what does that term even mean anymore!). Self is radiantly shining through those eyes.
I have lots of quotes from Ramana Maharshi that I really love, but for me his most important teachings are the images of him. I have been to his ashram (a very special place) in India and have picked up DVDs of old footage of him and just to watch him walk or gaze at the camera is a far greater and more direct teaching for me than reading a lot of the time. Although of course his words bring great comfort and bliss to me too.

"The waters rise up from the sea as clouds, then fall as rain and run back to the sea in streams; nothing can keep them from returning to their source. Likewise the soul rising up from Thee cannot be kept from joining Thee again, although it turns in many eddies on the way. And when the soul finds the way back to its source, it will sink and be merged in Thee, Oh Arunachala, Thou ocean of bliss!"
~ Ramana Maharshi

runstrails, someone else should perhaps comment on your observation from your previous post (although it feels like the two quotes are in harmony to me). But I wanted to show you this quote from Eckhart Tolle in an Interview from a book called 'Dialogues With Emerging Spiritual Teachers' by John W. Parker

"And there were other teachers who were just as meaningful whom I never met in person that I feel a very strong connection to. One is [J.] Krishnamurti, and another is Ramana Maharshi. I feel a deep link. And I feel actually that the work I do is a coming together of the teaching "stream," if you want to call it that, of Krishnamurti and Ramana Maharshi. They seem very, very dissimilar, but I feel that in my teaching the two merge into one. It is the heart of Ramana Maharshi, and Krishnamurti's ability to see the false, as such and point out how it works. So Krishnamurti and Ramana Maharshi, I love them deeply. I feel completely at One with them. And it is a continuation of the teaching."

And this:
"Nobody reaches enlightenment without seeing Ramana in his loin cloth."
~ randomguy
:lol: Love it.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:40 am

'mirth, thanks for your post and your presence on this forum.
What made you decide to go all the way to Arunachala? Would love to see any pics of the visit. Did you feel any kind of special presence? I've heard some other teachers mention that (Jac O'Keefe maybe?).
That's an interesting quote from ET about RM and JK. They have quite different styles of pointing to the same thing.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 am

Gary Weber felt the presence of RM during his moment of awakening (after 10,000 hours of yoga) -- Gary has been to Arunachala many times, is a good friend of mine, and has transliterated some of Ramana's Upadesa Saram in his fine book "Happiness Beyond Thought." I feel badly that you, as a fine member and fellow moderator had not dived deeply into Ramana, and also that our forum had not elevated his work into higher relief so that you would have explored him earlier.

But the universe has its timing for everything :) . Ramana is an infinite well and a blessing to all who find his works. oh yes, he does answer the question "Who Am I?" in verse 22 of the US..you won't be surprised... :D

I think that "Happiness" is an excellent introduction to Ramana Maharshi (and many other surprises and delights) -- anyone who has flipped through the pages of "Talks" would be well served by the magnificent powers of distillation offered by Gary.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

anewmirth

Post by anewmirth » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 pm

@runstrails
Thanks for your thanks! It feels so nourishing to be a part of a forum that is focused on supporting and sharing. Nice to feel comfortable about being nice. :)
runstrails wrote:'mirth, thanks for your post and your presence on this forum.
What made you decide to go all the way to Arunachala? Would love to see any pics of the visit. Did you feel any kind of special presence?
I had the opportunity through a round the world ticket. I had not been to Tiruvannamalai (where Ramana's ashram is) the last time and really wanted to see it. Over the previous few years prior to my second trip he had grown in my heart as being the teacher that I most trusted as an example of an enlightened being.

Tiru is such a powerful place. There is the usual chaos on the street outside the ashram but the moment you step through the gate into the ashram, you can feel a deep peace. I have read that after his death, Ramana's Presence is, "not merely as potent but even more potent now than before". Thinking of my time there now fills me with great bliss.

Mooji was giving talks in town as he does each year I think and this was also a great experience. The first time I went for satsang with Mooji in a local guest house they were playing some music after his talk and it brought me to absolute tears. This is the music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-C65zEu1Uo
It's still my favourite piece of spiritual music (besides the occasional good chant of course).

Photos... hmmm. I could put some together on flickr maybe and post a link to it. I'll see what I can do.

I'm so glad that you're discovering Bhagavan's words and images. Thank you for starting this thread. Bhagavan's reserved posting area was looking a bit lonely and in the context of ET's teachings, RM deserves some love!

RCharles

Post by RCharles » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks so much for the pointers to Maharshi and The Wanderer. These have a strong (and mysterious) draw for me as I read The Wanderers stories. Amazing stuff!

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 am

I feel a very special connection with Ramana Maharshi.
I know of no one else who touches my heart so deeply that tears flow and whose teaching resonates so deeply within my innermost being that I shake.
Unlike any other pseudo-spiritual teachers, this one is authentic. You can feel it in your bone.
And his life, actions, are congruous with his teachings and his highest teachings have an abstract quality that is almost mathematical in precision yet they can be experienced at once by anyone who has the dogged determination required.

We had a Buddha among us in the 20th century.

Ramana had a way of reaching everyone's heart. His teaching was transmitted in silence. On those rare occasions when he spoke, he always tried to shape his message to the recipient's mindset, with compassion, to be of most help. Yet the highest teachings that he transmitted are incomparable in purity, depth, and truthfulness. And only our heart knows this.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:31 pm

His face floats before the eyes, a pointer turning everything within. He does not need to be in form to answer cries of, "Help."

http://www.beasyouare.info/beasyouare.pdf

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 pm

'I exist' is the only permanent self-evident experience of everyone. Nothing else is so self-evident as 'I am'. What people call self-evident, that is, the experience they get through the senses, is far from self-evident. The Self alone is that. So to do self-enquiry and be that 'I am' is the only thing to do. 'I am' is reality. I am this or that is unreal. 'I am' is truth, another name for Self.

-"Be As You Are"
The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
Edited by David Godman

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 pm

goldieflower wrote:"Nothing else is so self-evident as 'I am'. ..."
True. Ramana gave the world a beautifully simple and effective technique. The "Who am I" inquiry leads to the looking at the sense of I am. The 'I am' is self-evident. As self-evident as it is I missed it for several years because of all the spiritual concepts in my head.

It's just looking at the very ordinary, everyday sense of you.