Very Short quotes from Ramana

unbornawakened

Very Short quotes from Ramana

Post by unbornawakened » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:16 am

I took these notes while skimming the book "Be as you are" By Godman ...

*There is only Self. You are the Self.
*There is nothing other than Self to be known.
*Your real form is without a body.
*You are pure awareness. Give up being aware of other things.
*Realization is being oneself, not knowing or becoming anything.
*Realization is stillness, peace. Perfect peace is the Self.
*The very nature of Self is existence-consciousness-bliss.
*Give up the thoughts of the not-Self (external things).
*Give up the thought that you are this body.
*The seer and seen together constitute the mind.
*When the mind merges into Self, there is neither seer nor seen.
*There is no difference between mind and Self.
*The mind turned inwards is the Self;
*The mind turned outwards becomes the ego and all the world.
*Thoughts are the content of the mind.
*Thoughts shape the universe.
*That which is real must persist forever.
*That which is real never appears and disappears.
*The thought "I am the body" is the cause of all the mischief.
*If you are the body there is the gross world also.
*If you are spirit all is spirit alone.
*The Self has created the ego.
*The ego's accretion of thoughts are displayed as the world.
*Your mind is extroverted. It has never sought its source.
*Realization is hindered by habits of mind (vasanas).
*Bondage is the thought "I am different from reality"
*Doubt and confusion result from innate mental tendencies (IMT).
*First step to rooting out IMT is hearing the truth.
*Practice uninterrupted reflection and contemplation on truth.
*The ego is the thought 'I'. The true 'I' is the Self.
*The state free of thought is the only real state.
*Liberation is our very nature.
*What is bliss but your own being ?
*It is your own being which is permanent.
*Be the Self and that is bliss. You are always that.
*We are always the Self only we don't realize it.
*If the mind subsides, the whole world subsides.
*The individual I-thought cannot exist without an object.
*Do not meditate - be !
*Do not think that you are - be !
*Don't think about being - you are !

goldieflower

Re: Very Short quotes from Ramana

Post by goldieflower » Sat May 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Question : What is the cause of tanha, the thirst for life and the thirst for rebirth?

Ramana Maharshi : Real rebirth is dying from the ego into the spirit. This is the significance of the crucifixion of Jesus. Whenever identification with the body exists, a body is always available, whether this or any other one, till the body-sense disappears by merging into the source - the spirit, or Self. The stone which is projected upwards remains in constant motion till it returns to its source, the earth, and rests. Headache continues to give trouble, till the preheadache state is regained.

Thirst for life is inherent in the very nature of life, which is absolute existence - sat. Although indestructible by nature, by false identification with its destructible instrument, the body, consciousness imbibes a false apprehension of its destructibility. Because of that false identification it tries to perpetuate the body, and that results in a succession of births. But however long these bodies may last, they eventually come to an end and yield to the Self, which alone eternally exists.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:02 pm

Devotee : If ‘I’ am always – here and now – why do I not feel so?

Ramana Maharshi : Who says that you do not? Does the real ‘I’ or the false ‘I’? Ask yourself and you will find that it is the false ‘I’. The false ‘I’ is the obstruction which has to be removed in order that the true ‘I’ may cease to be hidden.

The feeling ‘I have nor realised’ is the obstruction to realisation. In fact, it is already realised. There is nothing more to be realised. If there were, realisation would be something new which did not yet exist, but was to come about in the future; but whatever is born will also die.

If realisation is not eternal, it is not worth having. Therefore, what we seek is not something that must begin to exist but only that which is eternal but is veiled from us by obstructions. All that
we need do is to remove the obstruction. What is eternal is not recognised as such, owing to ignorance. Ignorance is the obstruction.

Get rid of it and all will be well. This ignorance is identical with the ‘I’-thought. Find its source and it will vanish. The ‘I’-thought is like a spirit which, although not palpable, rises up simultaneously with the body, flourishes with it and disappears with it.

The body-consciousness is the wrong ‘I’. Give it up. You can do so by seeking the source of ‘I’. The body does not say: ‘I am’. It is you who say ‘I am the body.’ Find out who this ‘I’ is. Seek its source and it will vanish.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Question : What is the nature of the mind?

Ramana Maharshi : The mind is nothing other than the `I'-thought. The mind and the ego are one and the same. The other mental faculties such as the intellect and the memory are only this. Mind [manas], intellect [buddhi], the storehouse of mental tendencies [chittam], and ego [ahamkara]; all these are only the one mind itself. This is like different names being given to a man according to his different functions. The individual soul [jiva] is nothing but this soul or ego.

Yutso

Post by Yutso » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 pm

*The thought "I am the body" is the cause of all the mischief.

Why is that?

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Yutso wrote:*The thought "I am the body" is the cause of all the mischief.

Why is that?
Hi Yutso,

In truth, you are not the body, you just think you are. If this thought is believed in as truth, as is the case for most of us, then as Ramana says, this is the cause of all the mischief. Find out who you really are and then see if this quote makes any sense. In the end 'who am I 'really is the only question that needs answering.

Here is someone who gets a glimpse of his true nature .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewevWhvO_M

Yutso

Post by Yutso » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:05 am

My home is my body.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 pm

D (devotee).: When I seek the 'I', I see nothing.

B. (Sri Ramana Maharshi): You say that because you are accustomed to identify yourself with the body and sight with the eyes, but what is there to be seen? And by whom? And how? There is only one Consciousness and this, when it identifies itself with the body, projects itself through the eyes and sees the surrounding objects. The individual is limited to the waking state; he expects to see something different and accepts the authority of his senses. He will not admit that he who sees, the objects seen, and the act of seeing are all manifestations of the same Consciousness - the 'I-I'. Meditation helps to overcome the illusion that the Self is something to see. Actually there is nothing to see. How do you recognize yourself now? Do you have to hold a mirror up in front of your self to recognize yourself? The awareness is itself the 'I'. Realize it and that is the truth.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Ramana Maharshi Quotes from Guru Vachaka Kovai

1. For those who allow their mind to wander here and there, everything will go wrong.

2. Just as the sun cannot be seen in a densely clouded sky, so one’s own Self cannot be seen in a mind-sky which is darkened by a dense cloud of thoughts.

3. All the benefit to be obtained by inner enquiry is only the destruction of the deceptive ‘I’-sense [the ego]. It would be too much to say that it is to attain Self, which always shines clear and ever-attained.

4. Firmly abiding as ‘I am I’, without any movement of the mind, is the attainment of Godhood.

5. When scrutinized, among all the many qualities necessary for those who wish to attain the imperishable Liberation, it is the attitude of a great liking to be in permanent solitude that must be well established in their mind.

6. According to the outlook of different people the same woman is considered to be wife, husband’s sister, daughter-in-law, wife of one’s brother-in-law, mother, and so on. Yet in truth she does not at all undergo any change in her form.

7. Unless one realizes oneself to be the unattached Self, which is like the space that remains not even in the least attached to anything, though it exists inside, outside and pervading everything, one cannot remain undeluded.

8. One who has destroyed the mind is the emperor who rides on the neck of the elephant of supreme Jnana (self-knowledge). Know for certain that the turmoil of the mind is the sole cause of the miserable bondage of the cruel and fierce birth [and death].

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Abhyasa [spiritual practice] consists in withdrawal within the Self every time you are disturbed by thought. It is not concentration or destruction of the mind but withdrawal into the Self. ~ Ramana Maharshi
When you give up thinking of outward objects and prevent your mind from going outwards by turning it inwards and fixing it in the Self, the Self alone remains.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Thank you for these wonderful instructions
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:48 pm

unbornawakened wrote:...
*There is only Self. You are the Self.
This is all there is to do, to look at you. Even though Ramana and Nisargadatta are very clear about what it takes, I had a difficult time understanding this simple thing when my mind was full of spiritual ideas. But I understood it right away when I heard John Sherman describe what this means.

goldieflower

Post by goldieflower » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:03 pm

karmarider wrote:But I understood it right away when I heard John Sherman describe what this means.
Yes, sometimes the same pointer, stated by another, may ring a particular bell.

A place I visit gives me a wide variety, yet they all are pointing in the same direction. Just keep hitting "random" and you will see what I mean. Haha - I just noticed that even the name of the website is a pointer. :D

http://keep-quiet.com/

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:24 am

Nice site, Goldie. Thanks :D.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:21 am

Every thought that you ever entertained had its origin in one specific thought (symbolic). The source of all thought is the thought of 'I' (symbolic-self). The original 'I' thought arises and matures to the thought 'I am' and existence is manifest. The very moment 'I am' presents, there exists an idea that burgeons with potential for identification. Identification gives rise to form (symbolic form). As that potential is realised, I am something or someone comes into being. As long as you believe that you are that physical form presented by thought, suffering will ensue: that is the package. ~ Jac O'Keeffe
Goldie,

I was just checking out your nice website... this quote above was displayed and I pondered it for a moment.

I agree with the first part of the quote... but not the last part.

The human species has two-integrated levels:-

1. physical (nervous system)

2. Symbolic (thought)

The questionable part of the quote is..."As long as you believe that you are that physical form presented by thought, suffering will ensue: that is the package."

I think it should state... "As long as you believe that you are merely a symbolic mapping (target domain) of the 'physical' body (source domain) presented by symbolic thought, suffering will ensue".

The physicality of life is real... No question. It's the active symbols that map our 'physicality' which is at issue.

I think a lot of spiritual seekers confuse the symbolic level with the physical level, they then further confuse the issue by re-labelling the physical level as the non-physical.

Labelling, naming & the objectification process is the symbolic level. Science labels everything (target) based on the physical (source domain) so spiritual seekers mistakenly think the physical level must be false.

To deny the physical, moves you closer to the symbolic (target domain). Anyone who believes that their physical being, is somehow non-physical, is stuck in symbolic thought. :wink: