Pain body when waking up

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Pain body when waking up

Postby pausesmile » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 am

When we wake up, it seems like the pain body is at its worst. I try not to have breakfast with my wife because I know her pain body is so strong before she gets her coffee and some food. I am also not the nicest person when I wake up. I like to go jogging in the yard first thing in the morning. My worst pain body is when my wife wakes me up for some unjustified reasons. Eckhart Tolle explains the pain body in great details but never mentions the waking up pain body.
pausesmile

Re: Pain body when waking up

Postby Mystic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:33 am

Negative thoughts and emotions can bring you immediately into the present moment when you learn to recognize them and not identify with them. As Eckhart Tolle says, it can be a great spiritual practice.

Usually in the morning right after waking up, I become still for five or ten minutes and meditate upon the breath.

Pain bodies are very seducing and they love to feed on violent movies ...with popcorn... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOYERp-2nA

Mystic

Postby painBody » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:45 am

Your post's title was all I needed to read :D

I'm no expert, but I do have an observation to share. Now, keep in mind that I live with the most unconscious/unenlightened person you can imagine.

When she wakes up, she is unbelievably unconscious - ferociously angry for no reason, throws things around (at me and otherwise around the room), breaks things, complains about the neighbors, about me, about her life, about "the world not being fair to her", etc. Almost all my fights with her have occurred right after her waking up in the morning.

So, yes, it does seem that way.

As for my own pain body, I don't think it's particularly strong when I wake up. I can say that I am most depressed when I wake up, because the sunlight and having to face another day of human insanity depresses me. I am most peaceful (and perhaps even "happy") at night.
painBody

Postby pausesmile » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks Mystic, deep breathing and becoming aware of our unconsciousness is a great way to overcome the morning blues. Thanks Mr Painbody, are you sure we don't have the same wife? My dear significant other, not only throws things at me, she also throws things at the wall and is very gifted at making holes... She finally started counseling about a month ago, we also went on vacation for 2 weeks, so she was free of her anger outbursts. Then last week end, after I criticized her for putting our toddler in front of the computer too early in the day, she relapsed. Her relapse was so severe, I had to call her therapist to ask her to see her more often. The wife pretending to be busy was only scheduling herself twice a month. I know ET doesn't like us to label people, but I believe she has a borderline personality. With her constant slamming the doors, hanging up on the phone etc, she fits the profile. I really want her to get better, separation does not seem to be an option because I don't want to lose my son and I would be too afraid to leave him with her. I really try to not react to her provocations and to reinforce her positives...
pausesmile

Postby painBody » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:41 pm

pausesmile wrote:Thanks Mr Painbody, are you sure we don't have the same wife?

Oh God, no ! This person is not my wife. She is just an acquaintance. No one deserves enough punishment to be married to her. She's got a good heart, and I can see it on the rare occasions when she's relaxed. But, I honestly do feel that she is too far gone. Also, she is developed in years, so the conditioning really has a hold on her. It's much harder to undo 50 years of bad conditioning than 25 years. She's definitely borderline (yes, I'm familiar with BPD too), and I would even venture so far as to say borderline psychotic. If there is a "bright side" to my life, it is that I'm not stuck being married to someone like her, because one of us would end up dead. She is going through hell, and I feel sorry for her, but also clearly see that she is certainly beyond my help and probably beyond all help.

I feel a deep empathy for you, because I understand what you must go through. Your situation is much more challenging because you can't just walk out. I wish I could offer you any advice. Honestly, with a person like that, I don't know if anything helps or even can help. With my roommate, I've tried being patient and present, I've tried shouting back, I've tried having calm but serious talks (even long talks about ET), I've tried it all. In the best case, she calms down for a few minutes or hours, and then the following morning, it starts all over again, as if our talks never happened. The conditioning ... the pain body ... is just too strong, its momentum too great. It's like putting up a picket fence to hold back an avalanche coming down a mountain ... futile.

At the end of the day, I know I'm going to run far far away from this person someday ... and that that is the only thing that will resolve the situation. Every person's first loyalty is to him/herself, whether one wants to admit it or not. I need to preserve my sanity, which is, after all, all I have.

I can't decide what's best for you, but, at some point, you might consider saving yourself. And, I think you could do that without abandoning your son. I don't know how, but I just know. It is just not easy. I really feel for you.
painBody

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion