Money worries

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Post Reply
IndigoStar
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Money worries

Post by IndigoStar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 pm

I find one trigger to losing presence is my anxiety over money. I find it silly when people say not to worry about finances and ones financial future because the world does not always 'provide' and I know people who have this mindset and now have no money and sponge off others as a result. I find money always drags me out to the external world and worries because you need money to survive and do things. Life with no money really is not much fun and is stressful. How can I detach from financial worries? I do not have financial problems, in fact I'm relatively comfortable, yet I always feel worried for some reason...

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6484
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Money worries

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 pm

From a practical point it's relatively simple. Live within a budget that brings you peace of mind. Generally speaking, expansion feels better than contraction. This is key. So live in an atmosphere of growing resources. It just feels better.

You'll want to get a clear knowledge of your income. Then set a budget of income to spending that creates a net positive to your bank account. On average over several months to a year, your bank account and resources should grow. Knowing that your overall resources are growing should bring you peace of mind relative to them contracting. It could take a few months of discipline to gain confidence, but in time it will alleviate much of your concern.

Another way to help alleviate fear is to make sure you have marketable skills. One never knows when or if their current source of income may fail. Having skills that are in demand will bring comfort in case the unforeseen happens.

Of course all of these are suggestions for a practical world. Having a strong connection to your own inner guidance is the best resource of all. Cultivate a clarity of being and much of the world's concerns will transform into interesting challenges that you are ever ready to meet.

WW

User avatar
eputkonen
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Mound, MN
Contact:

Re: Money worries

Post by eputkonen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:06 am

IndigoStar wrote:I find one trigger to losing presence is my anxiety over money. I find it silly when people say not to worry about finances and ones financial future because the world does not always 'provide' and I know people who have this mindset and now have no money and sponge off others as a result. I find money always drags me out to the external world and worries because you need money to survive and do things. Life with no money really is not much fun and is stressful. How can I detach from financial worries? I do not have financial problems, in fact I'm relatively comfortable, yet I always feel worried for some reason...
This will always happen (in some form) as long as you believe you are this body/mind/ego. Be it money (to live) or death itself...the anxiety is for "my" continued existence. Actually, it is quite possible to live without money. There is a German woman who has lived without money for 16 years plus - http://www.businessinsider.com/heidemar ... ars-2012-6. The homeless live without money and homes. You say it is not much fun and stressful, but really...what is the worst that could happen? Death perhaps...and is that really that bad?

I woke up in 2005, but in 2008 (during the recession) I was laid off. As my profession is recruiter and no one was hiring, I wasn't able to find work. I was unemployed for almost 2 years. Luckily, unemployment insurance kept extending and kept a little money coming in until the recession turned around. I did lose my condo in foreclosure. None of this was a worry for me...it was what was. I did what I could to find work, but finding work - having income - not losing the condo - etc. was not a condition of my happiness. I was not stressed because I was not fighting what was. Actually, this time period was a very interesting and enjoyable time. I got married...moved in with my wife...tried to start my own part-time business...etc. After almost two years, the economy recovered and I returned to the profession of recruiting. Worry and anxiety would not have helped in any way...it would have made the time miserable. It is like the Tibetan Buddhist saying, if a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good. So why worry about money and finances? Do what you can...and accept what is as long as it is (while doing what you can to change the present).
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

Robdigi
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Money worries

Post by Robdigi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:15 pm

..." if a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good "
You can apply this to health issues as well.

meetjoeblack
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Money worries

Post by meetjoeblack » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 pm

This is something that I find bothersome. While I was never rich, I wasn't poor either. I think financial health is monumental for a better life. The money can literally buy a better education, lifestyle, and is clearly better than no money. No more is the root of evil lol

Obviously, you can get too extreme chase money.

meetjoeblack
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Money worries

Post by meetjoeblack » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:50 am

Webwanderer wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 pm
From a practical point it's relatively simple. Live within a budget that brings you peace of mind. Generally speaking, expansion feels better than contraction. This is key. So live in an atmosphere of growing resources. It just feels better.

You'll want to get a clear knowledge of your income. Then set a budget of income to spending that creates a net positive to your bank account. On average over several months to a year, your bank account and resources should grow. Knowing that your overall resources are growing should bring you peace of mind relative to them contracting. It could take a few months of discipline to gain confidence, but in time it will alleviate much of your concern.

Another way to help alleviate fear is to make sure you have marketable skills. One never knows when or if their current source of income may fail. Having skills that are in demand will bring comfort in case the unforeseen happens.

Of course all of these are suggestions for a practical world. Having a strong connection to your own inner guidance is the best resource of all. Cultivate a clarity of being and much of the world's concerns will transform into interesting challenges that you are ever ready to meet.

WW
Thanks. I found it ironic. I never put myself in a situation like buying a house or car I cannot afford. I didn't want that burden and yet, life brought it with death. Here, not only do you suffer with loss but the financial consequences that come with death. Bills keep coming.

I am working towards escaping poverty growing up. I've always known scarcity so, its an ego I am trying to break.

meetjoeblack
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:49 am

Re: Money worries

Post by meetjoeblack » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:57 am

meetjoeblack wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 pm
This is something that I find bothersome. While I was never rich, I wasn't poor either. I think financial health is monumental for a better life. The money can literally buy a better education, lifestyle, and is clearly better than no money. No more is the root of evil lol

Obviously, you can get too extreme chase money.
For sure. I was listening to Joe Rogan who had Jordan Peterson on. Peterson was talking about hypergamy. That, women date up across culture. The men compete for resources and women pick the guy who wins that game. Its losing double some. Despite the change or societal gender neutrality attempt, the expectations still is to be a man, and provide security which comes with resources. In order for that education, you need resource's, and without, you incur debt or student loan. You cannot declare bankruptcy on student loans.

I had this view on life, love, and being. Even with meditation or ecky, and yet, there Is some undeniable realities that follow.

I took a girl out on a date. It wasn't cheap. She was so entitled the following week. Very ungrateful. I have stopped seeing her. I will do coffee from now on lol

Post Reply