What is Eckhart Tolle Up To Now?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
zsdman

What is Eckhart Tolle Up To Now?

Post by zsdman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:37 pm

First as a new member of this forum I am very grateful to the people who started this forum. Thank you.

I am a great fan of the writing of Eckhart Tolle but I am curious though about what Eckhart Tolle is "up to" now. He used to have an active Newsletter on his official site but the latest version is quite old. He seems to have a "surrogate" person who gives seminars/lectures and it seems like he has "disappeared" and is not doing any type of lectures or public appearances. As someone who advocates being present he seems to be "absent" in the general world community and I was wondering if he will return to give seminars and again be a part of the community that he started. Does anybody have any information about this or suggest where I might be able to find out more about this? Thanks.

AnEternalNow

Post by AnEternalNow » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Whatever he's up to, let's hope he isn't back to his hermit lifestyle again. The world needs teachers like him.

Now I'm the opposite of a hermit. This may well be a cycle. It may well be that at some point this will come to an end and I will become a hermit again. - Eckhart, 2000

http://www.wie.org/j18/tolle.asp

flower

Post by flower » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:57 pm

I wonder what he's up to also, but I wonder what is left for him to teach us? There are hundreds of recorded retreats and talks as well as his books and videos, and much of the content of these is repetition of the same message: be fully engaged in the now.

Perhaps there comes a point when he should just step back and we should learn to be a 'light unto ourselves' rather than eternally dependent on the portal that is Eckhart. Perhaps that's what's happening.

AnEternalNow

Post by AnEternalNow » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:12 pm

According to the website, he's "taking a break".

http://www.eckharttolle.com/home.php?se ... 0Teachings
Events – Currently, Eckhart Tolle is not accepting event invitations as he is taking a break after writing A New Earth, however we are accepting event invitations for Kim Eng.

zsdman

Post by zsdman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:00 pm

flower wrote:I wonder what he's up to also, but I wonder what is left for him to teach us? There are hundreds of recorded retreats and talks as well as his books and videos, and much of the content of these is repetition of the same message: be fully engaged in the now.

Perhaps there comes a point when he should just step back and we should learn to be a 'light unto ourselves' rather than eternally dependent on the portal that is Eckhart. Perhaps that's what's happening.
That's a good point. Though, it seems that the majority of people are unaware of his teachings and are "unconscious". It seems that the more exposure the world has to him ("in the flesh") the greater the likelihood his message will be spread. How many of us are able to convey his teachings to others? Per the msg by AnEternalNow notes "He is taking a break". Given the insanity in the world now I hope his break is not too long.

mccpcorn

Post by mccpcorn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:14 pm

I guess even spiritual teachers need a break. :lol:

Seriously though, it is only through absorbing the Now around him that ET can be of any value to those who need him. That will occasion periods where he needs isolation. Consider: how many times do you think the guy gets asked the same questions over and over? Naturally he never loses patience or the desire to help and support those around him who need it.

On the other hand there is also a distinct part of the Now - as reflected in PoN and ANE - that comes clear at least to me that quality moments with oneself are what define the message that he is trying to get across. Namely accepting the present moment.

Accepting what is, is not to the exclusion of engineering an environment you find comfortable.

So, bottom line is, the guy's taking break. ;)

zsdman

Post by zsdman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:44 pm

mccpcorn wrote:I guess even spiritual teachers need a break. :lol:

Seriously though, it is only through absorbing the Now around him that ET can be of any value to those who need him. That will occasion periods where he needs isolation. Consider: how many times do you think the guy gets asked the same questions over and over? Naturally he never loses patience or the desire to help and support those around him who need it.

On the other hand there is also a distinct part of the Now - as reflected in PoN and ANE - that comes clear at least to me that quality moments with oneself are what define the message that he is trying to get across. Namely accepting the present moment.

Accepting what is, is not to the exclusion of engineering an environment you find comfortable.

So, bottom line is, the guy's taking break. ;)
I understand completely. We know what is best for us.

din

Post by din » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:28 am

Maybe he's following his own advice:

"In my book The Power of Now, I mention ways in which you can maintain present moment awareness, but the main thing is to allow this new state of consciousness to emerge rather than believe that you have to try hard to make it happen. How do you allow it to emerge? Simply by allowing this moment to be as it is. This means to relinquish inner resistance to what is – the suchness of now. This allows life to unfold beautifully. There is no greater spiritual practice than this."
:)

flower

Post by flower » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Given the insanity in the world now I hope his break is not too long.
Eckhart is just ourselves pretending to be someone else, telling us something that we already know. We just have to find some other way of pretending to teach ourselves and others in this crazy mad manifestation of self that we call the world, while we, in the form of another called Eckhart, appear to take a break.

anton

Post by anton » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:06 pm

suppose if he was super active out there 24/7, then what? now he has left us with an empty chair, to find the that emptiness within. well, still would be nice to see him around, talks/retreats etc. this total absence is hard incluidng no newsletter. this is his true teaching: be with space, be the space.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Perhaps the time for teachers and gurus is over:
The historical Buddha is reputed to have prophesied that when the wheel of dharma would next be turned, the Buddha to come and turn it would be known as Maitreya, "the Friend." The traditional interpretation is that a person called Maitreya would be born, walk the earth, and give teachings. But we could also interpret his statement to mean that when the wheel of dharma is turned again, it would be between friends, free of a hierarchical context. It may well be that the massive arising and subsequent self-destruction of certain guru-centered spiritual organizations in the past few decades were the death throes of a model that we have outgrown.

Arjuna Ardagh
Perhaps this is what this website is expressing.

SharonIrish

Post by SharonIrish » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:47 pm

Yes, this sentiment seems to be pretty prevalent, that the model of in the flesh guru/ disciple relationship is passing. While there are lot's of spiritual teachers around making themselves known through all kinds of workshops and media, not many of us living in an ashram type facility. Besides, these teachers aren't in that mode either they're pointing the way, and it's up to us to be "drawn" enough to apply the , in some cases, self discipline, in some cases loosening up, and being aware of where our inner guidance is taking us. ET mentions that being around a person of Presence quickens the opening of consciousness of those in his/her physical presence. But, most of us aren't under the direction and guidance of such a person, though we can recall being in such a Presence and recall the feeling. We're becoming more present by "no thought" experiences, yet, hearing the thoughts, the spiritual "candle flame" of thoughts of others on this site and in the written word of books, energy of "opening" is there and available. .
I still love the guru /disciple stories, especially Paramahansa Yogananda's autobiography.
It will be interesting to see what we will see upon ET's reappearance.

moonmissy

Where is Eckhart now?

Post by moonmissy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Where is Eckhart now?

He's in the NOW......
No he's living in my mind....or was that a phantom?

Who cares!

"We sleep- a dream has power to poison sleep
We rise - one wandering thought pollutes the day"
Percy Byshe Shelley
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:44 pm

More from Shelley (I think):

Man, proud man,
dressed in a little brief authority.
Most ignorant of what he is most assured,
his glassy essence.
Like an angry ape
plays such tricks before high heaven
as make the angels weep.

-------------------------------

I came across this poem more than 30 years ago and was always struck by it, especially the phrase glassy essence. I didn't know why that struck me then but now I do. Thanks for jogging my memory, moonmissy.

k

Chelsy

Post by Chelsy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:14 am

Thank-you Moonmissy.

(And thanks K too, love both poems)