Tattoo Ideas

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Tattoo Ideas

Postby Learner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 am

Something a little more lighthearted. I've been thinking about getting some tattoos to point to presence since it has changed my life so drastically and also to help me remember to stay in the now.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I was thinking of getting "Presence" on my arm or maybe something like a big X crossing out the word FORM or "NOW" Written on my fingers or "NoTHING matters." I was thinking about some direct quotations of Tolle's as well but they may be a bit too lengthy for the areas I want to tattoo. Are there any insignias or signs that represent any of Tolle's teachings or spirituality? It would be nice to make it look a little pretty too.

And yes, I know Tattoos themself are form and words are only pointers... But since I know that form (including the aesthetics of the body) ultimately don't matter, why not have fun with it and perhaps help myself remember to stay in the now in the process?
Learner

Re: Tattoo Ideas

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Learner,

I once knew of a guy who created a watch that always read "NOW" as a way to help him remember that it is always Now. Ultimately, all aids must be set aside for the experience of actually living in the Now. So I am not sure how effective such devices are in the long run. I suspect not very.

But about tattoo's specifically. One of the more common reasons people will get a tattoo is for the feeling/memory it imparts...a remembrance, an attitude, an experience, a connection to a dearly departed, etc. The problem with clinging to anything at all is that it keeps one earthbound or, if you rather, body/mind/feeling identified. It can be like a post-hypnotic suggestion in that every time you see it it reinforces the idea or concept that originated it. This is antithetical to living in the Moment free of past or future. Rather it keeps you bound to just another old mind construct, the hidden purpose of which is to keep one out of the Now. Concepts, no matter how high sounding, are still only concepts which, when bought into and reinforced, tend to block True Realization with Power to set you free. That is the danger I see with tattoos, body markings, piercings etc.

Rick
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.
Rick

Postby Learner » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 am

Rick, you raise some great points. Thank you. :)
Learner

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 am

Learner wrote:Rick, you raise some great points. Thank you. :)

You are welcome Learner.
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.
Rick

Postby Pete88 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Rick wrote:Hi Learner,

I once knew of a guy who created a watch that always read "NOW" as a way to help him remember that it is always Now. Ultimately, all aids must be set aside for the experience of actually living in the Now. So I am not sure how effective such devices are in the long run. I suspect not very.

But about tattoo's specifically. One of the more common reasons people will get a tattoo is for the feeling/memory it imparts...a remembrance, an attitude, an experience, a connection to a dearly departed, etc. The problem with clinging to anything at all is that it keeps one earthbound or, if you rather, body/mind/feeling identified. It can be like a post-hypnotic suggestion in that every time you see it it reinforces the idea or concept that originated it. This is antithetical to living in the Moment free of past or future. Rather it keeps you bound to just another old mind construct, the hidden purpose of which is to keep one out of the Now. Concepts, no matter how high sounding, are still only concepts which, when bought into and reinforced, tend to block True Realization with Power to set you free. That is the danger I see with tattoos, body markings, piercings etc.

Rick

A tattoo will never truly reflect the limitless/timeless, but you can see it as a way of constantly reminding your mind to remember what part it plays in the whole. To me it's the same as reading books about enlightenment. Books will never capture the full essence of being, for they are a collection of words. Does this mean that you shouldn't read any books about the subject?
Pete88

Postby kevin89 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:24 pm

“Forget the past, remember the future” this line looks good on your wrist part, you can select old English fonts to make this stylish.
_______
Moderator edit: removal of commercial link
kevin89

Postby kiki » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:55 am

“Forget the past, remember the future” this line looks good on your wrist part, you can select old English fonts to make this stylish.

It may look good in some stylish English font, but it isn't a good reminder to remain present.

How about something like this, "Is it still now?"

Or, to be a little more light hearted, "Smack me when it's not now." Sort of a zen approach.

Now is where it's at

Presence: now or never

It's never not now

It's always now

It's all about now

Be Here Now (Ram Das would love it)
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby BJA28 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Those are good ones, Kiki. Not into tattoos myself, but those would be pretty good ideas.
BJA28

Postby heidi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:37 pm

This too shall pass.

Except maybe the tattoo, until you do. :mrgreen:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby mykebob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Your idea is appreciable and I agree with it. You should get a tattoo which reminds you about it and you would learn many things from this. Tattoos are the way to connect with feelings or some memories which show your feelings towards something.
mykebob

Postby mykebob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Your ideas are appreciable and nice. You can get any tattoo which suits you the most according to your feelings. Along with this there are many tattoos desings available. You can consult to any tattoo artist also about this.
mykebob

Postby karmarider » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 am

My daughter is a tattoo artist. And a very good one, with an international following.

My advice is don't get a tattoo with a spiritual message. More than likely it will be somebody else's message, not yours, even though it may resonate right now. Your idea of spirituality change.

Tattoos are like permanent jewelry or fashion. They express something personal, some interest, something fun, something sentimental, something artistic.
karmarider

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion