Grain of Salt

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Grain of Salt

Postby Narin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am

I sometimes have the feeling that there are more landmines to this "Path" than some people assume. I would know, I've stepped in a lot of them. I do not claim to have much firsthand experience with "altered" (or natural, depending on your point of view) states of consciousness. I suspect I am much closer to the beginning than to the "end" of my journey, so you may want to keep that in mind. 8)

There's something I wanted to bring up with this community in particular, and that is some popular interpretations of the Teaching. I do not in any way dispute the reality of your experiences or the experiences described by many books and teachers. I do have some reservations about the conclusions some people are coming to however.

I'm betting that some of you are already familiar with brain scientist Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, (for those who aren't, you should check out her fascinating TED speech) In brief, she experienced a stroke which silenced her left-brain functions (the thinking mind) and experienced a state of unspeakable bliss and Oneness, and went on to make a full recovery while retaining the spiritual insights along with building a new ego block-by-block, and documented her experiences in a book about the stroke from the perspective of a neuroanatomist. She points out how the "observer" function is located in the right hemisphere of the brain, along with what she calls the "spiritual circuitry." She was later interviewed by Oprah where big parallels were drawn between her experiences and the spiritual teachings of Eckhart Tolle (also on YouTube somewhere.)

What I find most intriguing about this is that it poses the question, "Is the Teaching metaphysical or not?" For someone trapped in the ego-mind, which is about the size of a peanut in our left brain, to suddenly catapult into the "right-brain" functions of present-moment awareness, observer self, compassion and oneness must be quite a ride. Is it ultimate Truth? That's what I've been pondering lately. :)

I sometimes think people are a bit too eager to get away from their left brains, and that's natural, (after all it's the left brain that's caused all this trouble on Earth in the first place), but perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to jump on the super-consciousness bandwagon. Our right brain does die with our left, and (supposedly) with it the "observer" function. So what do you think? Would it bother you in any way if "consciousness" was not a cosmic function but a brain function? The "paper" for the "pen," so to speak, and that practicing ego-disidentification, while wonderful and beneficial, isn't necessarily more metaphysical than anything else we can't explain yet? What if the awareness dies with death after all?

I dunno, I think it's a fascinating topic. I hope I can spark up a little conversation on this point! :D
Narin

Re: Grain of Salt

Postby snowheight » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Narin wrote:Would it bother you in any way if "consciousness" was not a cosmic function but a brain function?

Why should it?

By shutting up, the left learns some deep insights from the right ... they can both have some fun together and spin extrapolations about what it all means, but one of the bedrock lessons that's taken away is that ultimately, what the left rests on is smoke ... including any metaphysical viewpoint that gets developed. The idea that we are all One is just an idea.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby arel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Narin wrote:Would it bother you in any way if "consciousness" was not a cosmic function but a brain function?

It's simply irrelevant to the immediate experience right now. How it is qualified has no effect on it at all.
What I say is only my viewpoint.
arel

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:02 am

What if the awareness dies with death after all?

I'm no neurologist, nor pathologist but what you're saying makes no 'universal' sense. As in - in order for a thing to be universally true it has to be true universally. Absolutely people will encounter a variety of different points from which to view via experiences of a thing, but the universal nature of it may not be experienced universally to the same degree of awareness.

she experienced a stroke which silenced her left-brain functions (the thinking mind) and experienced a state of unspeakable bliss and Oneness, and went on to make a full recovery while retaining the spiritual insights along with building a new ego block-by-block, and documented her experiences in a book about the stroke from the perspective of a neuroanatomist.

Our 'perspective' of points from which we view it, may be hampered by lack of awareness of other pov that we haven't experienced. eg nde - I left my brain and body behind lol... both sides of it... and 'silenced' all physical sensations outside of the 'unspeakable bliss and Oneness, and came back into the body to make a full recovery while retaining the spiritual insights...
The neural pathways of the brain are the conductors of creation energy (awareness) - not the energy itself. Creation energy flows through other conductors outside of the human brain as well - biologically, chemically, physic-ally, astro=physic-ally, psychically etc etc etc

She has 'felt/experienced' this experience of the stroke and has re-ordered her experiential knowledge based on other 'acceptable to her perspective' available information.

Much of this discussion goes on here in the Beyond the Physical section, rather than General Eckhart Tolle Discussion area.
If you mean to compare ET's pov with Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor's pov you probably need to quote specifics of ET's teaching.

Take everything with a grain of salt - the salt merchants need the money :lol:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Mariposa » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 am

Hey, just so you know, the link you posted no longer works, but I am going to find that TED talk! Interesting, not sure if I got your questions though, kind of scary, probabbly don't wanna go there... :mrgreen:

Oh my goodness, what an amazing speech, it brought me to tears, so much amazing energy, WOW.... GOD BLESS YOU for sharing this with me, here is the link where I found the video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_tay ... sight.html

Peace, peace, peace....
Mariposa

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 pm

:D Lots of peace Mariposa.
Zengirl has added links to a discussion between Dr Jill Bolte-Taylor and Oprah Winfrey in this topic -
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11100

Nothing to 'fear' here.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion