Seeing the face of God

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Seeing the face of God

Postby awyman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:48 am

First of all, I am so grateful for being introduced to non-duality teachings. It has and continues to change my perspective. I've only really been aware/practicing it for 4 or 5 months now, but the process has developed fairly quickly for me, or at least quicker than I expected :D

Yesterday, while at my job in a retail store, I had an interaction with an older guy. As I "do" with most I meet, I kept my attention in the awareness and noticed any emotions or thoughts that might come up and serve as a distraction to the interaction, as well as being the space for that person.

Right as he was saying goodbye, he smiled at me, and all the sudden, his face POPPED out at me....very hard to describe, but it was one of the most vivid things I have ever seen...so crystal clear and pristine. What's more, there was a sort of FELT KNOWING that my essence was one with his essence. This knowing went far beyond any intellectual thought. Another way to put it might be to say that I knew and felt I was looking at the "face" of God/Source. It was so vivid, and unlike anything that I had experienced before, that it was a little frightening, yet there was this underlying sense of complete calmness and peace.

I don't expect these moments to happen everyday, but I sure am grateful for them when they do.

Just thought I'd share that cool little moment.
awyman

Re: Seeing the face of God

Postby Nameste » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 am

It's what happens when we step out of the conceptual mind. Normally our judgements, reactions, social norms, etc kick in even without our knowing it. Then you function on a "social game" level. But when you stop, go into stillness, then observe with no judgement, magic can happen. The best place to practice this is nature, because it reflects our natural essense so well.

I will add one other thought. When I was yourger doing drugs, I recall stepping outside the social norms and seeing people in such a detached and shifted way. Too often however I got freaked out by the experience and went into a paranioa. I add that simply to make the point that the "shift" is real, but you should be centered in yourself - in concious stillness, before doing these things. Then you can hold the experience and not be freaked by it.
Nameste

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:16 am

:D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby DavidB » Tue May 22, 2012 3:02 pm

It is quite an amazing moment when we realize that we all are the same ocean cleverly disguised as individual waves.

Creation is endless infinity, and who we really are, is this endless infinite creation, eternal life, oneness.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Golf » Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 pm

awyman wrote:Yesterday, while at my job in a retail store, I had an interaction with an older guy. As I "do" with most I meet, I kept my attention in the awareness and noticed any emotions or thoughts that might come up and serve as a distraction to the interaction, as well as being the space for that person.

Right as he was saying goodbye, he smiled at me, and all the sudden, his face POPPED out at me....very hard to describe, but it was one of the most vivid things I have ever seen...so crystal clear and pristine. What's more, there was a sort of FELT KNOWING that my essence was one with his essence. This knowing went far beyond any intellectual thought.

Hey, this is awesome!
You just gave me an incentive to try and be more present and give "space to be" to all the persons I meet, regardless of how my mind wants to label them. What a nice way to make a spiritual practice of everyday, "boring" encounters! :D

And yes, I realize that I'm currently in the "intellectual understanding" phase mostly. Maybe I can look forward to shifting to the FELT KNOWING more, the way you describe it seems to me (intelectually :) ) exactly how those "mystical" realizations get to be known, not just believed in.
"If you're so smart, how come you're working at a gas station?"
-"It's a service station. We offer service, there is no higher purpose."
8)
Golf

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion