This is a process, right?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

This is a process, right?

Postby Jbrooke » Thu May 03, 2012 4:18 am

Hi there,

I realize that the ego is telling me, "Practice the techniques each day. 24 hours a day. Be in the present as often as possible. The moment you catch yourself "out of the moment" focus on your surroundings and breathe. Do this every time an obsessive thought starts to multiply into a state of combustion." and on and on and on...

I realize the ego is telling me this to some degree. And yet, I'm not sure what else to do. I can't always be in the moment. I stray from the present incessantly. I catch myself "wandering" and try to bring myself back. It's a nonstop battle.

Being present is a process, correct? Allowing yourself to be present doesn't necessarily mean that it will be. And doesn't mean that it will "be" without retraining oneself. Or is this entirely untrue? Initially approaching this new level of being isn't easy. It seems to take a LOT of work much of the time. At least for me it does.

For those of you who have been aware and more present for some time now: Was this more challenging initially? Did it get easier eventually? More natural and with less and less effort? Is being and remaining present a process?

Thank you for reading this,
Jen
Jbrooke

Re: This is a process, right?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 am

Absolutely it is Jen (hi by the way)

Depending on your experience of/in/with life and your reaction to it/the experiences, you'll 'notice' when you're out of kilter, with this knowledge you'll likely be able to trace any out-of-kilterness to false notions or judgements or 'whatever' (and sometimes not immediately or even for a very long time).

One of webwander's notions of 'sin' merely being a mis-guided thought becomes in time as plain as the nose on your face as soon as its uttered, imagined, thought and the 'correction' can be more immediate. The length of time it takes sometimes depends on how attached we are to that misguided thought - which sometimes comes down to our 'expectation' or 'perspective' of a thing added with the ego's sense of fear and wanting to rule the universe yadda yadda.

You'll find you can make the most glaring mis-takes and not take it all so seriously.

If I can add a couple of my own mantras... no choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience.
If you apply that to some of your life experiences and however they turned/turn out, is just however they turned out based on responses to situations.
If you have issues with any of it I tend to check 'expectation' - for me 'suffering-resistance' emerges in the distance between our expectation and our reality. Once you learn to use this you can quickly 'notice' which one is out of kilter that can change ala the Serenity Prayer, either change your reality or change your expectation.
Another slightly on it's head notion is about response ability - 'noticing' who most has the ability to respond to a thing stops most 'judgements' in their tracks.

:)Jen
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Re: This is a process, right?

Postby DavidB » Tue May 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Yes, in some respects, it is a process.

It is the process of undoing past accumulations of learned obsessive compulsive behavior and reactions. It is the process of dissolving the identified sense of self. There will always be some of this identity though of course, as not all of the human self needs to be dissolved, only the aspects which are compulsive and destructive.

The longer you practice this process of dis-identification, the easier it becomes and eventually it becomes a second nature, so to speak. You eventually find that you are not practicing anything any more, only being present, only being aware, not 'doing' anything, and then the peace which is is beyond comprehension, arises on it's own.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion