Ego / Mental

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Ego / Mental

Postby ranell » Mon May 14, 2012 2:29 am

Hello all,
I'm looking for a definition for "the mental", i think that's the thought generator linked with time, is it?
The "Ego" is the product of "the mental" ?
ranell

Re: Ego / Mental

Postby DavidB » Wed May 23, 2012 3:24 pm

The ego and the mind are the same thing.

Ego was a term created by Sigmund Freud in order to describe an aspect of the conditioned human mind. Ego is more or less the moderator between the sense of reality as experienced through the senses and their relationship with the id and super ego.

None of these things such as ego or id or super ego actually exist in any way at all though, they are simply terms used to describe common aspects of human mental behavior.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Golf » Wed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Let's first try to see what is not "mental", but "real you".
In my opinion, "real you" is that awareness which experiences all outer and inner (thoughts, emotions) events. But I think that's just one aspect of "real you". The other aspect is the ability to make free choices, regardless of the outer or inner "stimulus" that acts on you. And another aspect is that it is linked to the intrinsic feeling of "right" and "wrong", or in other words, it has a sense of how much it's choices are in harmony with itself, with others and the universe itself, and having freedom, it can choose whether to work in this harmony or go against it. Maybe "soul" would be an appropriate word to describe it.

"Mental" would be the thing "below" it. Conditioned, not creative. Reactionary, not able to make free decisions. A tool for the "soul" to use, in order to function in this world of matter and time.
And the dysfunction comes when the "mental" takes control. In other words, when the "soul" starts yielding to the "mental" impulses, in fact yielding it's power of choice and it's observing awareness, letting the "mental" wants and impulses drive it, and impose it's judgments, labels and interpretations of reality onto the awareness, covering it up in a way.
So actually maybe the "mental" isn't the main problem, maybe the "weakness" of the "soul", it's susceptibility to be controlled by the "mental" in this world, is the primary dysfunction.

P.s. Regarding Freud's terminology, as far as I know superego is the critical, judging mind with it's opinions. The id is unconscious urges and drives to pursue pleasure and avoid pain of any kind. And the ego might be part of the mind which is "used" by and in harmony with the "real you". Eckhart Tolle's "ego" seems to be all those 3 Freud's terms combined, or maybe just the id and the superego.
"If you're so smart, how come you're working at a gas station?"
-"It's a service station. We offer service, there is no higher purpose."
8)
Golf

Postby DavidB » Thu May 24, 2012 2:25 am

Golf wrote:
P.s. Regarding Freud's terminology, as far as I know superego is the critical, judging mind with it's opinions. The id is unconscious urges and drives to pursue pleasure and avoid pain of any kind. And the ego might be part of the mind which is "used" by and in harmony with the "real you". Eckhart Tolle's "ego" seems to be all those 3 Freud's terms combined, or maybe just the id and the superego.

The term "ego" has been over used much in the same way we have over use the term "god". The terms have taken on multiple layers of meaning, which can increase confusion, especially if we already have a tenuous grasp of the mind and it's relationship with consciousness, which is very likely if we have only just begun our seeking.

I believe when ET uses the term Ego, he is referring to the totality of the human mind structure, the identified sense of self that sees itself as a distinct individual in a specific location, a distinct individual form. As we come to realise though, when we investigate deeper, we find that the forms arise within the formless, arise within consciousness.

From a strict psychoanalytical perspective, the use of the term "Ego" within spiritual discussion, is incorrect, the term is being used out of it's intended context. Another example is the use of the word "egoic", which is not to be found in psychoanalytical literature, where the term instead used is "egoistic".

For the sake of discussion though, we can define the ego as that sense of self which arises within awareness, that sense of me and my thoughts and my things.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion