Has your happiness improved since discovering Tolle?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Postby hughesa » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm

I first read TPON Oct 2010 and read it 3 more times since. I have also read ANE 4 times. I have also read STILNESS SPEAKS a couple times or so. A lot appears to have changed for me, but it is mainly the way I see the world. And I admit, there have been things that if I had not discovered Tolle then maybe I would have not got through them. However, before Tolle, my life was not great, I suffered a lot of depression. But I was young, I had my whole life ahead of me. I was doing something (I was at university). But since I first read Tolle, my life has been Hell. I feel so hopeless. I feel like I cannot achieve anything. I do not have a job. I have never had a job. I have physical problems. It just seems to be one thing after another. Achieving presence is something that feels impossible. Well, sustained presence, that is. I have had short periods where things feel so peaceful and great but it never lasts. I feel like for the past year or so I am constantly trying to focus on the NOW, but it is just impossible. I am 24, nearly 25, my life is a joke. I feel worse than ever. I am starting to feel old. Starting to feel useless, that I am wasting space on this earth. My mind and emotions are just too active. They have become more active than ever - ironically - since reading Tolle.

I feel like I am trying to live the Enlightened life, then some other time I am trying to fit in, or live a normal life. I am on the fence. Or no mans land as Tolle likes to call it. I have all kinds of mental/pyschological disorders that seem to be getting worse and worse. I have all these goals that I feel nowhere near achieving. I can never be bothered to do anything. My life is basically: get out of bed sometime in the afternoon, doze about, surf the web aimlessly till early hours, then go to bed at stupid o'clock and repeat the process. I AM MESSED UP.

What about you? Has your life really got better and better or worse and worse? Be honest. It is very easy to be in denial, as I have been for a while. Be honest. Is your life just as shit, or maybe worse as it was before. Tolle has not quitened my mind, it has completely fucked up my mind. My mind does not know which direction to go in. I am stuck in no mans land.
hughesa

Re: Has your happiness improved since discovering Tolle?

Postby Webwanderer » Tue May 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Hughesa, Tolle has been great for me in that his teachings helped me realize the nature of presence awareness vs identification with thought, and thought streams, spinning through my mind. But while I had frequent moments of happiness in the clarity of presence, I was still prone to get caught up in mind stuff that only brought pain and distraction.

Last year however, I was introduced to the teachings of Abraham-Hicks. Abraham's teachings on the Law of Attraction and how to purposefully apply it in one's life was a sea change in my experience. It wasn't an overnight change, but after a few months of study and application, there was no doubt about its effectiveness. This has not taken anything from what I learned via the teachings of Tolle, it was just the next step that built upon the clarity of presence, to the value of how focus of attention brings experience into one's life.

Attention focuses energy and produces experience whether by design or by default. It is the Law of Attraction and it is in effect at all times, like it or not. If you are in a lot of emotional pain and anxiety, you can look to that experience as the effect of where you attention is. Look at your own post:

I have all kinds of mental/pyschological disorders that seem to be getting worse and worse. I have all these goals that I feel nowhere near achieving. I can never be bothered to do anything. My life is basically: get out of bed sometime in the afternoon, doze about, surf the web aimlessly till early hours, then go to bed at stupid o'clock and repeat the process. I AM MESSED UP...

Tolle has not quitened my mind, it has completely fucked up my mind. My mind does not know which direction to go in. I am stuck in no mans land.

Continue to focus on these beliefs, both mentally, verbally and emotionally, and life energy will continue to pour into the consistent creation of more of this same experience in your life. There is no good or bad from the perspective of Life energy. There is only your choice, conscious or unconscious, as to where the creative flow of life will go.

It doesn't have to be this way. The teachings of Abraham will show you how to break this cycle and turn your life toward a direction that you would prefer. Many thousands have found this to be so. Go to YouTube and listen to some of audios, lots of them. There are many hundreds there. Buy some books and immerse yourself in a teaching that will show you the way out of your painful focus.

Don't buy into the nonsense that some have claimed that Abe's teaching is about how to get money. It's not. It's about how to align with your greater being, your true nature, with Source energy; and then allowing that Energy to transform your life through a chosen and intentional focus. You don't have to spend a dime on this teaching. You can of course, buy a book, but there is more than ample teachings, endless hours of talks, available for free available on YouTube.

Life can be a joy. It's Intended to be so, and it awaits your conscious choice to make it so. It's just a matter of choosing a better feeling thought. Go read some of my posts over the last few months. There's a search function if you're interested. My clarity on the issue, and my appreciation for life continues to grow. The same awaits you if you will explore with openness, consistency and self-honesty.

What have you got to lose besides your current experience and focus of attention - and wouldn't you really rather be somewhere else in conscious experience? Here's a channel that's a good place to start. (there are many more)

http://www.youtube.com/user/primresp/vi ... =da&view=0

WW
Webwanderer

Postby hughesa » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Continue to focus on these beliefs, both mentally, verbally and emotionally, and life energy will continue to pour into the consistent creation of more of this same experience in your life. There is no good or bad from the perspective of Life energy. There is only your choice, conscious or unconscious, as to where the creative flow of life will go.

WW

That is just the thing. Over the past year and a half I have started to see that I have no choice and life is determined for me already. I could make these choices NOW but tomorrow I will fall back in to old pattern. I have been in pain with my leg for months and the hospital told me I have to push through it, which basically means, exercise. The first time he told me, he said come back and see him in a month. I went back with PAIN. I never exercised as much as he said. Why? I do not know. I intended to, but it just did not happen. He discharged me and told me to carry on pushing through it. A month later and I have been for one single JOG. I feel I no longer have a choice. I could say to myself, I am going to practice guitar every day for 1 hour for the next month, but a month passes and I have not even picked up the guitar. I say I am going to look for a job this time, but month after month passes and IT STILL HAS NOT HAPPENED. I am still in the same RUT. No matter what I say I am going do it does not happen. I feel I have no choice. The only thing I can control is the NOW. And I just always seem to be in this NOW (throughout the day I realise it). Therefore I just feel like there is no point in saying I am going to do this or that as I cannot control it. I could pick up the guitar NOW but there is no guarantee I will pick it up tomorrow or anytime of the following month. It is just so hard to accept the NOW. I just feel absolutely hopeless. Like no matter what I wanted to do, I could not.

I have watched the DVD of THE SECRET which is about the LAW OF ATTRACTION and also read another book on the subject a few years back. I feel like all this stuff does not go hand in hand with Tolle and here again I find myself in no mans land. I am also sick of reading books and learning things (self helf wise) as none of these stuff have actually done anything for me. My life-situation is still a mess.
Last edited by hughesa on Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hughesa

Postby ashley72 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:29 pm

hughesa wrote:What about you? Has your life really got better and better or worse and worse? Be honest. It is very easy to be in denial, as I have been for a while. Be honest. Is your life just as shit, or maybe worse as it was before. Tolle has not quitened my mind, it has completely fucked up my mind. My mind does not know which direction to go in. I am stuck in no mans land.

Asking the question has your life got better & better or worse & worse... is off the mark!

Why is it off the mark? Well because when we look at external things we naturally label them good or bad. But what we're trying to rediscover can't be labelled... because it cannot be found... because it's not a thing to be found. It's actually not a thing, it's what senses all things!

This no-thing-ness is our attentive nature. Its formless so can't be described or defined like "things" usually are. Our attention can only be sensed when our attention is attending to itself.

Tolle says very clearly that his teaching is very simple. There is very little to it. Most of his books describing the nature of the Ego has no relevance to his core teaching.

The core teaching is attending to attention itself. Which is being present. Or you could say awareness watching awareness. Or Consciousness becoming Conscious.

You don't become anything to awaken. You unbecome what you've added to yourself. What knowledge you've added to yourself is labels. When attention attends to itself... we suddenly are free to drop the labels about yourself and your getting very close to the truth.
ashley72

Postby hughesa » Tue May 29, 2012 11:39 pm

ashley72 wrote:
hughesa wrote:What about you? Has your life really got better and better or worse and worse? Be honest. It is very easy to be in denial, as I have been for a while. Be honest. Is your life just as shit, or maybe worse as it was before. Tolle has not quitened my mind, it has completely fucked up my mind. My mind does not know which direction to go in. I am stuck in no mans land.

Asking the question has your life got better & better or worse & worse... is off the mark!

Why is it off the mark? Well because when we look at external things we naturally label them good or bad. But what we're trying to rediscover can't be labelled... because it cannot be found... because it's not a thing to be found. It's actually not a thing, it's what senses all things!

This no-thing-ness is our attentive nature. Its formless so can't be described or defined like "things" usually are. Our attention can only be sensed when our attention is attending to itself.

Tolle says very clearly that his teaching is very simple. There is very little to it. Most of his books describing the nature of the Ego has no relevance to his core teaching.

The core teaching is attending to attention itself. Which is being present. Or you could say awareness watching awareness. Or Consciousness becoming Conscious.

You don't become anything to awaken. You unbecome what you've added to yourself. What knowledge you've added to yourself is labels. When attention attends to itself... we suddenly are free to drop the labels about yourself and your getting very close to the truth.

I know all this and I am past all this. I have read both books a combined 8 times. You have just given me more words, more pointers, but it is of no use. If Tolle cannot point me there I do not believe any more words are going to direct me to the Source. I could read Tolle 10 more times and still would not make a difference. Everything he says, and even with realisation, the ego does not allow it to be. I am too identified with my mind. So identified that when someone at home says something, even when they do not say it to me, I have to know what they said. I cannot just drop it. I cannot watch the thinker or feel the pull. I have to know. When I bang my knee or put my leg in slighty awkward position I am stressed for hours convinced I may have done some damage, until I finally accept nothing is wrong. Even though I play out that same scenario day after day and have done for months and months (since getting kicked in the leg playing football over 8 months ago) I still do it again and again. Even though I know what someone says is not important in the slightest, if I do not know what they said (i.e. they sick if me asking them to repeat what they said over again so do not tell me / or they just forgot) then I feel some sort of incompleteness or open loop and this can cause me stress for hours. My ego is just too strong.
hughesa

Postby karmarider » Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 pm

I've had similar feelings about Tolle. I will always be grateful to Tolle, because through his simple words I saw that there is another possibility. That was a critical and essential insight, but beyond that, I haven't found much help in Tolle.

I studied Tolle for over a year and then realized that his suggested practice of "presence" can be highly misleading. What I saw were people trying to practice "presence" and make it "abiding"--to me the practice felt lifeless and boring. And so through Tolle, I also learned self-honesty.

Tolle speaks about what it means to be unawakened (ego, pain-body) and what it means to be awakened (awareness, acceptance). But he can be unwittingly misleading. People often take his conceptual pointers of the ego and pain-body and come to believe that they are real entities inside us--things we have to wrestle with and tame and kill.

Tolle's enlightenment was accidental. I wanted to find someone who had worked on awakening. I am thankfully not prone to spiritual beliefs and practices, and so I wanted to find someone who had done something to awaken, something prosaic, something other than take on yet another system of beliefs. As you pointed out, I did not want more words or more concepts and I certainly did not want to be trapped in some feel-good belief system. Whether a system of belief is true or not, the attachment to it gets in the way of awakening.

I ran across many fine teachers: Krishnamurti (both of them), Jed Mckenna, Anthony de Mello and others, but most of them in my opinion are not clear enough. JMK had been probably the most direct, but his technique of spiritual autolysis did not resonate.

I found Nisargadata who had awakened simply by resting in the sense of I AM. No spiritual beliefs or concepts were required. There were no promises of manifestation or transcendence or any of the other crap which gets in the way. Just the technique. Ramana is very similar.

But I didn't really understand what Nisargadatta was suggesting. Until I ran into John Sherman. Then it all cleared up nicely.

So I suggest to you that if you feel stuck with Tolle, explore the field.

Your experience is not at all uncommon. You are nudging yourself to keep looking. Sometimes the nudging is unpleasant.
Last edited by karmarider on Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
karmarider

Postby Webwanderer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 am

hughesa wrote:That is just the thing. Over the past year and a half I have started to see that I have no choice and life is determined for me already.

Start seeing something else. You're only creating, or adding to, a belief.

I could make these choices NOW but tomorrow I will fall back in to old pattern.

Maybe, but the world won't end tomorrow. There is the next day and the next. Laugh at that stupid belief. It's an ego construction, and while you may have an ego, you are not one. Create a new belief. It can be done if you're willing to apply a little discipline and consistency. Don't take no for an answer. You are much stronger than you currently believe, and it's only a belief that keeps you from seeing it clearly.

I have been in pain with my leg for months and the hospital told me I have to push through it, which basically means, exercise. The first time he told me, he said come back and see him in a month. I went back with PAIN. I never exercised as much as he said. Why? I do not know. I intended to, but it just did not happen.

Cool, now you know how strong existing beliefs can be. So fear the pain, it's okay. Embrace it. Look forward to it. Give thanks for a challenge, that just on the other side of a little fearful resistance, will reward you greatly. It's the pot of gold of a new life that awaits you. A little pain, or even a lot, is a small price to pay for a whole new experience of life.

No matter what I say I am going do it does not happen. I feel I have no choice. The only thing I can control is the NOW. And I just always seem to be in this NOW (throughout the day I realise it). Therefore I just feel like there is no point in saying I am going to do this or that as I cannot control it.

Look closely at this. You say one thing but feel another. Which do you think holds the most power? Look for thoughts that feel better than the ones that bring you pain. They don't have to be joyous, sky high thoughts, just something that you can sense feels better than anxiety and despair. Listen to some music that inspires you. Watch some nature videos and enjoy the beauty. Smell the food cooking on the stove and feel the sense of appreciation that it makes your mouth water. Be on a constant alertness for such opportunities for a happier, more enjoyable moment. How you feel is where the power for change is. Build on moments that feel good. Discount and ignore moments that feel bad - they're only as important as you make them, so cut them off from your attention. In time the focus on better feeling thoughts will refocus your natural energy that will make your choices for feeling better easier until thinking this way is automatic.

If you believe this won't work for you, you will continue to create that experience as a reality. But you can go another direction. If you just see its potential and believe it's worth an honest investigation and test, you are on your way. Give it a few weeks or months. Had you started a few months back, your life would already be much improved. Where you will be a few months from now is really up to you. Understand, you don't have to do anything, it's just many available options that you may choose from. You have chosen one option in a life experience that causes you pain. You can just as well choose something else.

Life doesn't have to be so painful. Life is waiting to reward a new perspective. It always will be - now, next week, next month, next year. It doesn't matter. You are deeply Loved and Worthy and Valuable, and when you're ready a new life experience will be there for you.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:50 am

I have also read ANE 4 times

May I suggest a re-read of the section The Three Modalities of Awakened Doing towards the end of the book.

If I have one hmm about ET's work its that he spends so much time discussing the pain and suffering etc etc etc and so little on this most precious aspect of awakened living - aligning yourself with the energy-frequency of creation.

Once you recognise these frequencies falling into other than them is 'felt' and can be breathed out - or not, no choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience.

ET, or god, or the universe is not making your choices in perspective and in action, you are.

This section can help you with different choices to the ones you are choosing now and pretending that you aren't.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby ashley72 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Look.... what the hell is that?

... It's a bird, it's a plane. Nope just another "Thinking Addict"! :lol:
ashley72

Postby Natalie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:05 am

Has happiness increased? No, not really. Happiness is no longer sought. It stopped being important.

When I feel 'happy' now I allow myself to enjoy the feeling. When I feel sad I do the same. I've learned to enjoy unhappiness as well. It's like happiness no longer means the same thing anymore. The ups and downs have lost their sharp sharp edges. Everything feels deliciously dull. Dull as in balanced and natural, like spiritual lithium. :)

It sure feels 'good' to have lost the need to engage life to exhaustion. Some may disagree, but I do like the new non-temperamental me, and relatives are taking notice. The dynamics of relationships have changed, they are more functional. Boundaries are set easily and the freedom they bring is very tangible.

So I guess I am 'happier' after reading Tolle's books than before, only that calling it happiness feels somewhat wrong.

Best wishes,

Natalie
Natalie

Postby powerbowler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 pm

The Power of Now gave you the key not an answer, you have to use that key to open more doors of wisdom, within yourself and in other people's books or talks or what we write in these discussions. Keep searching , you will find the answer.
powerbowler

Postby Ralph » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:54 am

Yes !!! .. Big time !!! :D

Tolle was the first teacher that finally, finally led me on the right path. This led me to many other good teachers but all of them speaking from the same Truth but with a different style . I am soo grateful to having found Eckhart Tolle .
Ralph

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:39 pm

I felt like you OP, for a long time. I'm about the same age.

When introduced to Tolle's teachings I kind of didn't fully grasp them yet. I constantly thought "What would Tolle say and do" in this or that situation and I couldn't focus on making an effort of improving my life. I also read stuff like The Secret, and listened to motivational speakers and it all seemed to have little effect. It brought short highs but nothing consistent. Some things were very contradictive even and created a lot of cognitive dissonance in me. Combine that with a lot of bad habits, a lot of stress, anxiety and inner resistance, seeking escapism, etc. I constantly had to go back to Tolle's video's to truly understand them.

But slowly, I feel it's happening. I can take the concepts and the pointers that Tolle has given me, and apply them myself, without thinking involved. I can be "at peace" with my mind, and stop the mental noise. It's not a magic pill, but I feel present moment awareness and conciousness of thoughts can definately give me the inner peace to get my goals done and live a more peaceful life. I have practiced it while working on things, and things DO seem to go more easily. Previously I had to down 5 cups of coffee to get started with my day and wear myself out with fatigue. Now I can basically have a small moment of awareness and go back to that every time. It energizes me.

I think although the teachings are quite simple, I think because of our enlongated state of depression and anxiety, it takes a little longer for us to truly grasp and practice them. Our minds are patterned in a way so that they constantly revert back to the old anxious and depressed state. And of course the world itself tends to drag you back to that state. Doubts arise such as "these other people seem to be doing fine without meditation or present moment awareness." We have to take into consideration that many people tap into that without knowing it and have a lot to fall back onto.

Anyway, for me it seems to be working now, but it took a while. Maybe it's not for everyone.
Heisenberg

Postby DavidB » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I am definitely much happier now than I was before. I am much more content and at peace. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby DavidB » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 pm

ashley72 wrote:Look.... what the hell is that?

... It's a bird, it's a plane. Nope just another "Thinking Addict"! :lol:

I thought it was a hairy hand pointing. Silly me. :lol:
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion