One

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

One

Postby Someone » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am

Hi all,

Few things I am trying to figure out. Maybe a bit silly to try to figure out with the mid but its all I got at the moment.
There is a lot of talk of One conciousness, but why is my conciousness stuck in my body and experiencing only this body ?
Someone

Re: One

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 pm

This question gets asked occasionally. I've even asked it myself. Here's my take on it as written to another questioner:

...., it's a matter of perspective and individuality. What defines this perspective of individuality is vibration. It's like color - all the colors of the rainbow vibrate at their own unique frequencies. They are in a sense, individualized in and by those frequencies. Yet all of them have their origin and are combined, or one, in white.

As a conscious perspective within Awareness, everyone is unique in their own vibration of being. It is an unique perspective of awareness, made so by the uniqueness of the vibrations. So long as you perceive solely through your own unique vibration, you will only experience the conditions of human life from the unique point of view of your conscious vibration. Everyone is different/unique in their own vibration.

That being said, as anyone awakens and expands in consciousness, they begin to sense with ever more clarity the perspective of others - call it empathy in its early stages. In order to experience what others experience more completely and in detail, one's conscious vibrations must be raised to a level that can harmonize directly and be inclusive of those vibrations. Due to the focus through the human brain, this generally only happens at the death of the body and the transition of consciousness back to its Essential state where a greater range of vibratory perspective is available.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rideforever » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:07 pm

My understanding is as follows :

Yes it is a good question, why do I not experience your mind. Let's not discard this question easily. There are many around who will say "we are all one" ... and try to roll you into believing it. But the basic fact is nobody seems to experience anybody else's mind ... yes, tremendous empathy is possible - but even the great mystics seem not to experience other's minds.

As I said : do not dismiss this question easily. We are a species that loves to conform to other peoples views - very few really stood up for what they actually see.

Because of the scale of unconsciousness here, the teachings have mostly concentrated on breaking through that barrier. 99% of teachings concentrate on that basic rigidity.

Few seekers actually go beyond that. It is a great relief, a great change ... an perhaps afterwards there is not much momentum anymore.

Padmasambhava for instance seemed to go far beyond this basic breakthrough, into an existence of God's.

Anadi is also one who has kept travelling beyond the breakthrough. His description of a 'human' is of a multi-dimensional 'being' that has both absolute (we are all one) and non-absolute dimensions.

Of course, it is easier for everyone to say and to hear 'we are all one'.

If you look at the ancient pictures of Krishna for instance you get a sense of a godlike man who travels between dimensions and manifests on many planes. This is so far beyond imagination for a 'person' who just longs to be free from pain.

What is really pointed to by teachings is not a peaceful person; but a reality of incredible scope.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby kiki » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 pm

One consciousness, many minds. It's through the many minds that one consciousness gets a diversity of perspectives. Out of the many minds arises a seemingly separate "me", which says "this is my perspective". The "me" that claims the perspective is a mentally created one. That is the illusion, that there is "my perspective". No, there is a perspective that is unique, but there is no separate "me" that has it.

Think of it this way: visualize consciousness has one gigantic mirror, but that mirror isn't flat. It has countless small flat areas that are angled slightly differently than all the others. As a consequence, what gets reflected in that mirror will not be exactly the same as all the others, yet all the while it is still just one mirror. Since it is angled differently than all others it doesn't "know" what is reflected in any other part of the mirror.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby karmarider » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:32 pm

I wouldn't worry about Oneness (or enlightenment or any other spiritual concept). If it's part of your experience, well then good, and if it's not, the reaching for concepts and terminology and theories is a serious obstacle.
karmarider

Postby rideforever » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Can anyone here describe my identified experience ?
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:23 am

Can anyone here describe my identified experience ?

Not with any accuracy.

Empathy has two features, one of feeling/emoting/sensing a thing that is not the experience of your own body, the other the knowledge that it is not 'yours'. So the features of the original experience are a bit like a photocopy of a painting depending on the senses involved and the meaning your brain makes of those sensory experiences.

Anadi is also one who has kept travelling beyond the breakthrough. His description of a 'human' is of a multi-dimensional 'being' that has both absolute (we are all one) and non-absolute dimensions.

Nice!

There is a lot of talk of One conciousness, but why is my conciousness stuck in my body and experiencing only this body ?

It's not your consciousness that's stuck in your body, your perspective of consciousness is your mind evaluating and noticing a variety of stimuli of energy in motion flowing through and against your senses. You are for the most part experiencing elements of energy interacting with your body filtered by your mind noticing and interpreting them into meaning that you make conscious.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion