Pain Body Specifics

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Pain Body Specifics

Postby rideforever » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:26 am

I am looking specific technical information about working with the pain body. Specifically, I am asking what kind of attention to bring to the pain body. These are the techniques that I am aware of :

1. Bringing your awareness to the pb in order so that you physiologically process it - also known as "Focussing" or "Waking the Tiger". Here you see the pb as uncompleted physiological actions blocked by the mind. Bringing your awareness to the pb you allow /encourage physiological completion, which can involve the completion of the fight/flight/freeze responses. I suppose the goal here is to live in the world more easily.

2. Psychological processing / EMDR ... this is where you re-trigger/re-experience pb with a view to completing the uncompleted overwhelming experiences ... through either (a) having a greater capacity to deal with them now, or (b) using EMDR you connect them to other areas of your mind to allow them to flow more freely and discharge. Similar to 1. but using your mind/emotions rather than your body perhaps.

2. Bringing the pb to the awareness of the Heart. This is like Atisha's Heart Meditation, or Tonglen ... a Buddhist practice. Here you breathe in your pain to your heart, and breathe out love. I don't know what the goal is here, perhaps to ask your soul to resolve the issue ... your soul living in your heart.

3. TPON talks generally about bringing awareness to your pb. Is it specific about which type of awareness ?? There is awareness in your consciousness, heart, and hara ... which one ? And what is the goal ? Is it to lobotomise yourself ? Or to die a spiritual death - i.e. walk away from the world ? ... it seems to me to be a lot like Vipassana focussing on specifically on your emotions ... however there is little talk in TPON of processing your emotions - the message seems to be more like bring your awareness to them and they disappear. Where do they disappear to ? And how ? How can such a large body of negativity vanish ? Are they processed ?

If anybody has specific technical information about these or other techniques, or the relative objectives of these techniques, I would be interested.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Re: Pain Body Specifics

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Specifically, I am asking what kind of attention to bring to the pain body.

Attention of love and compassion and awareness of what is real.

In A New Earth ET Chapter six is entitled 'Breaking Free' (of the pain body)
He says in part
"It's not the pain body but identification with it that causes the suffering that you inflict on yourself and others. It's not the pain body but identification with the pain body that forces you to relive the past again and again and keeps you in a state of unconsciousness.

So a more important question is how long does it take to become free of identification with the pain body? And the answer to that question is: It takes no time at all.

When the pain body is activated, know that what you are feeling is the pain body in you. This knowing is all that is needed to break your identification with it.

And when identification with it ceases, the transmutation begins. The knowing prevents the old emotion from rising up into your head and taking over not only the internal dialogue, but also your actions as well as interactions with other people. This means the pain body cannot use you any more and renew itself through you. The old emotion may still live in you for awhile and come up periodically. It may also still occasionally trick you into identifying with it again and thus obscure the knowing, but not for long.

I only know of EMDR in your list, but what it does is give you some space in physical and time reality from things that haven't been processed back into transmuting (subsiding back into what is). It helps you to recognise that you are here, now, you are safe - that what you haven't processed is 'back there', 'over there' at some other place and time now at a distance.

By becoming aware of the distance you are able to maintain a sense of physical and psychological safety - which is the reality, rather than the panic and flight or fight response of some other moment of intense sensory stimulation, that hasn't been processed.

ET goes on to say -
When you feel the pain body don't fall into the error of thinking there is something wrong with you. Making yourself into a problem - the ego loves that.
The knowing needs to be followed by accepting. Anything else will obscure it again. Accepting means you allow yourself to feel whatever it is that you are feeling at that moment. It is part of the is-ness of the Now. You can't argue with what is. Well, you can but if you do, you suffer.
Through allowing, you become what you are: vast, spacious, you become whole. You are not a fragment anymore, which is how the ego perceives itself. Your true nature emerges, which is one with the nature of God.

So the attention he is suggesting is the same attention you would give anything in consciousness - acceptance, enjoyment, enthusiasm being the three conscious states. If you are making enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a thing, situation or person this is not consciousness.

Hence, the attention you bring to the pain body is the same attention you bring to anything - love and compassion for self and others.

Any time you are making an enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a thing, situation or person you are feeding the pain body reinforcing that it is separate and in need of protection from... anything, everything. This is living in fear and separation. Awareness lives in love and compassion.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby ashley72 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:18 am

smileyjen wrote:...And when identification with it ceases, the transmutation begins. The knowing prevents the old emotion from rising up into your head and taking over not only the internal dialogue, but also your actions as well as interactions with other people- Eckhart Tolle

This is exactly what Barry Long says in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrxRgpsrpGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Basically by attending to the tension (painbody) you stop it transmuting into thought.

You keep getting tricked because the moment you take attention away from the tension it goes straight to the head as worrisome thinking. You need to stay deeply rooted in the inner body... And be attentive without thought... Just attend to the tension. No analysis is required, the intelligence is in the attentive looking. You don't need to be clever and try and figure anything out.

But I would encourage you to watch the whole of Barry Long's video, as Andy recently pointed out in another thread, he was one of Eckhart Tolles early mentors in London.
ashley72

Postby Donna » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:30 pm

rideforever wrote:I am looking specific technical information about working with the pain body. Specifically, I am asking what kind of attention to bring to the pain body. These are the techniques that I am aware of :

1. Bringing your awareness to the pb in order so that you physiologically process it - also known as "Focussing" or "Waking the Tiger". Here you see the pb as uncompleted physiological actions blocked by the mind. Bringing your awareness to the pb you allow /encourage physiological completion, which can involve the completion of the fight/flight/freeze responses. I suppose the goal here is to live in the world more easily.

Hey rideforever...I am reading a good book right now and have tried some exercises, particularly around some pain body experiences and for me...they are working! It does take practice and it is a process.

The book is entitled Focusing by Eugene Gendlin. As I've mentioned to you before elsewhere, it's worthy for me to note that this focusing process is described in different ways by other spiritual concepts (yet this is totally from a psychological standpoint), but pointing at the same thing...observing our triggers, our reactions and getting to the heart of them.
~*~*~*~* I love to live and live to love. *~*~*~*~
Donna

Postby Jayakanth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 am

Hi, I would just like to ask if laughing during the pain body awareness is a form of release/acceptacnce?

I would like to also ask what do u guys here do everyday to improve ur presence? I do inner body awareness daily.

Thanks
Jayakanth

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi J, laughing, lovingly, kindly, on realising previously 'programmed' response in fear may be a nervous reaction, like when you get a fright from a loud noise or a practical joke and then you 'get it', it's not threatening. Sometimes the built up energy inside comes out as laughter / relief rather than using the energy to power the protective fight or flight response.

It's a kind of 'oh that's right, that's not real, phew, chuckle' sort of response of relief and relaxing. In breathing out that great big gulp of air we take in 'in fright', the excess breath comes out when we let it go. We might 'squeal' or 'squeak' or laugh. So it's an automatic physical response, unhindered, let free. That is acceptance, a willingness to let it come, let it go moment by moment unhindered.

If the laughing is delayed and unkind, a laughing at rather than a loving, laughing with or in the moment
.. 'a ha ha you can't scare me, you're not real' sort of a response, that's likely to be forced rather than natural and making the pain body reaction into a separate entity and an enemy over which you've triumphed, and that's not really acceptance, that's one upping a previous unconscious response.

The pain body isn't real or physical, it's a stimulus-learned reaction to particular stimuli that we've made up a story about. It's unconscious energy in action that ET then 'personified' so we could get a sense of it being an additional layer over/of us.

So we might say, by all means be loving with yourself, hug yourself, laugh kindly with yourself, soothe yourself with the knowledge that the stimuli does not need to produce the reaction it previously did and that everything's okay, but also don't make a bigger deal or cement the notion of the 'pain body' as an entity or an enemy.

What does your 'inner body awareness daily' involve? I tend (mostly) just to be here and love it and be in awe of love and life creating, be joy with it as much as possible.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby Jayakanth » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:52 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:Hi J, laughing, lovingly, kindly, on realising previously 'programmed' response in fear may be a nervous reaction, like when you get a fright from a loud noise or a practical joke and then you 'get it', it's not threatening. Sometimes the built up energy inside comes out as laughter / relief rather than using the energy to power the protective fight or flight response.

It's a kind of 'oh that's right, that's not real, phew, chuckle' sort of response of relief and relaxing. In breathing out that great big gulp of air we take in 'in fright', the excess breath comes out when we let it go. We might 'squeal' or 'squeak' or laugh. So it's an automatic physical response, unhindered, let free. That is acceptance, a willingness to let it come, let it go moment by moment unhindered.

If the laughing is delayed and unkind, a laughing at rather than a loving, laughing with or in the moment
.. 'a ha ha you can't scare me, you're not real' sort of a response, that's likely to be forced rather than natural and making the pain body reaction into a separate entity and an enemy over which you've triumphed, and that's not really acceptance, that's one upping a previous unconscious response.

The pain body isn't real or physical, it's a stimulus-learned reaction to particular stimuli that we've made up a story about. It's unconscious energy in action that ET then 'personified' so we could get a sense of it being an additional layer over/of us.

So we might say, by all means be loving with yourself, hug yourself, laugh kindly with yourself, soothe yourself with the knowledge that the stimuli does not need to produce the reaction it previously did and that everything's okay, but also don't make a bigger deal or cement the notion of the 'pain body' as an entity or an enemy.

What does your 'inner body awareness daily' involve? I tend (mostly) just to be here and love it and be in awe of love and life creating, be joy with it as much as possible.

Someimes, when im paying attention to my body and the emotions that I am experiencing, I start laughing. Not a forced laughter, but a laughter that just arises.
As for my daily practice, I set aside 20 mins daily for inner body awareness. Throughout the day, I try to be present to negative/complsive thought patterns. Thats about it. Are there any other things you can recommend to do?

Thanks.
Jayakanth

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 pm

I set aside 20 mins daily for inner body awareness. Throughout the day, I try to be present to negative/compulsive thought patterns. Thats about it. Are there any other things you can recommend to do?

Heck yes :D Meet every moment anew from the moment you open your eyes from sleep, in as many moments as you're not concentrating on something else just BE and embrace all around you. It's a really amazing world we live in.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'I try to be present to negative/compulsive thought patterns' do you mean notice them and let them go, or do you mean focus on them?

Someimes, when im paying attention to my body and the emotions that I am experiencing, I start laughing. Not a forced laughter, but a laughter that just arises.

Sounds nice, I do that playing with life.
smiileyjen101

Postby Jayakanth » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:12 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:
I set aside 20 mins daily for inner body awareness. Throughout the day, I try to be present to negative/compulsive thought patterns. Thats about it. Are there any other things you can recommend to do?

Heck yes :D Meet every moment anew from the moment you open your eyes from sleep, in as many moments as you're not concentrating on something else just BE and embrace all around you. It's a really amazing world we live in.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'I try to be present to negative/compulsive thought patterns' do you mean notice them and let them go, or do you mean focus on them?

Sounds nice, I do that playing with life.

I notice them, accept them and let them go. But there have been times when the feelings have intensified. Im not sure if that is supposed to happen.
Jayakanth

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:05 am

If that's what happens that's what happens. There is no 'supposed to'. It just is.

Attention in depth and resonance (focus) adds energy to a thought or emotion and so it grows by that energy.

It's why I asked - do you mean notice them and let them go, or do you mean focus on them?

These are two different levels of 'attention' energy.

You've described the different 'outcome' of each of them.

Learning how to use this energy constructively is the interaction of life.
smiileyjen101

Postby Jayakanth » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:If that's what happens that's what happens. There is no 'supposed to'. It just is.

Attention in depth and resonance (focus) adds energy to a thought or emotion and so it grows by that energy.

It's why I asked - do you mean notice them and let them go, or do you mean focus on them?

These are two different levels of 'attention' energy.

You've described the different 'outcome' of each of them.

Learning how to use this energy constructively is the interaction of life.

So what is the difference between focusing and noticing and letting them go? Tolle said that u need to give ur full attention. So i guess that means looking and not doing anything. Not identifying with it or trying to dissolve it. I have had cases where i do feel the lightness after practicing presence but sometimes the feelings intensify and then subside and what i feel is some discomfort in my body energy.

Thanks.
Jayakanth

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion