How often do you go back to Eckharts books

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

How often do you go back to Eckharts books

Postby Salmoriaty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

I have just recently got into Eckhart.
However, it seems that if I don't listen to the audiobooks on a daily basis, my mind can take over.
I was just wondering about people who have used his teachings for years.
Do you still refer back to the books.
How often do you still use them?
Salmoriaty

Re: How often do you go back to Eckharts books

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:21 pm

After 6 or 7 years I don't much use the books anymore, but I have incorporated my sense of them into my current world view. Tolle's teachings have been key in recognizing the nature of thought and how it can become identified with through assumptive conditioning. The teachings have also been key in recognizing the internal nature of experience, that we are consciousness being in human form and that all thought, emotions and experience are content within our true nature as conscious awareness.

Use the books, audios, videos of Tolle, or anyone else who can help bring you greater clarity of being. While I don't read Tolle so much these days I consistently read, watch or listen to inspiring material to help further my clarity and conscious expansion. I love the feeling of Alignment. It puts all else into perspective. It makes the turmoils of life manageable. It puts a smile in my heart.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby karmarider » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I will always be grateful to Tolle for it was his simple words in the PON which first broke through my hardened shell about six years ago. But after about a year I moved on to other teachings. And then the realization hit that self-reliance was doing its work very well on its own and at that point teachings and teachers and beliefs actually became obstacles.

It's a bit of cliche to say that whatever you need at this point will show up. Still, there is truth in it. Use your intuition.
karmarider

Postby Salmoriaty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Ok. Thanks.
Also after purchasing a new earth and power of no and practicing the power of now, what books of Eckhart would you suggest next.
I really want to free myself of my mind and want to move further with Eckhart.
Thanks
Salmoriaty

Postby kiki » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I agree with Webwanderer and karmarider. At some point you realize that You are your own best teacher. As the saying goes, the true guru is the inner guru. Dependence upon an outer teacher delays the discovery of the inner guru. That being said, my favorite ET book is the audio version of Stillness Speaks. I like it because its format leads you directly into presence - just listen to it without trying to rely on the mind to figure out what he's saying. It's been my experience that "just listening" to ET's words leads you spontaneously to where those words arise from, the inner guru - the silent stillness of conscious presence.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby DavidB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 am

I'll occasional listen to a tape now and again but not very often these days.

Eckhart's words are a wonderful help getting to the point of being, but there comes a time when you need to let go of the teachings and just be.

Don't worry if you feel you are not quite ready yet though, it doesn't matter, just enjoy the books and the audio until you feel that you don't need them anymore, and then let go.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Hendrik » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Since I got the Power of Now from a friend 6 years ago I did never read the book from A to Z, only pieces. Almost every day I read a piece, opening the book at a random page or at a certain chapter. Sometimes for only 1 or 2 minutes, other times for an hour. In aggregate I guess that I read the book about 100 times. Some passages I know by heart. It's not exhausted yet, rereading makes me getting things fuller, so I continue...
Hendrik

Postby lakeswimr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:42 am

I re-read TPON and Stillness Speaks multiple times. I had a harder time with A New Earth. ET has a picture book of flowers with quotes by him and Byron Katie that I really loved. I haven't been re-reading his books for some time now but that picture book's quotes were like some of the best of both Eckhart tolle and byron Katie.

I find that I have times of going completely unconscious or nearly so and then come out of it and this has happened a bunch of times since I first read ET. It seems to happen less and less than before with more space between. I have enjoyed Byron Katie's 'A Thousand Names for Joy' and her other books as well but that's my favorite. I also liked Adyashanti's 'Emptiness Dancing' and other works.

What I like as well are ET's CDs. I like many of them and get different things out of them when I listen to them.

I do listen less with time than I did in the past but it goes up and down.

I haven't found anything I like as much as the above.

I think it is nice you are aware of the mind taking over happening. :) Good you have found something that helps focus your attention. If it aint' broke why fix it?

I think when I'm more unconscious things like these seem 'boring' and when I'm more conscious I'm more into things like his CDs or reading a quote by him or being in nature or just being quiet and enjoying presence, etc.
lakeswimr

Postby boogeyman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:37 pm

First time heard about Tolle was about 6 years ago. Since then I've been revisiting he's audio tapes regularly. Sometimes on a daily basis, sometime once 1-3 months.
I get easily lost and hes words bring me back. Their like meditation for me. Although lately I've noticed that the resistance inside me has grown stronger, because when he talks about impermanence I sometimes get a slight panic attack.
boogeyman

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:35 pm

boogeyman wrote: Although lately I've noticed that the resistance inside me has grown stronger, because when he talks about impermanence I sometimes get a slight panic attack.

Impermanence is only an issue to the extent you perceive yourself to be part of what's impermanent. Appearances are impermanent. What perceives the appearances, what you are, continues whether appearances change, or disappear altogether. Life is a never ending adventure, and is limited only by One's imagination.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion