Why does time pass so fast when we are older?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Why does time pass so fast when we are older?

Postby Jayakanth » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled across a book which was about time.Basically, it asked the question , " Why does time pass faster when we age"? So, it got me thinking and I would like to ask your views on the subject.

Is it because we are not present enough?
Jayakanth

Re: Why does time pass so fast when we are older?

Postby karmarider » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Jayakanth wrote:Hi guys,

I recently stumbled across a book which was about time.Basically, it asked the question , " Why does time pass faster when we age"? So, it got me thinking and I would like to ask your views on the subject.

Is it because we are not present enough?

Interesting question.

But it doesn't feel to me as if time passes faster. It's both faster and slower. I heard someone describe it as "the days get longer and the years get shorter."

When clarity ensues, it feels like the past is one big sphere of events and the future is another sphere of possible events and the many individual stories which had captivated us before are no longer important. We no longer mark time with regret or worries or hope.

Also, it seems the physiology of sensation changes with age. There can be some deterioration of hearing, seeing, tactile sense and so on. The body slows down, metabolism slows down, so perhaps all these are felt in totality as a slower passage of time.

Also, it's plausible that when we're younger there many significant changes in our bodies and minds, and we use these to mark time. Ask a fifteen year old who's waiting for his driver's license--it takes forever!
karmarider

Postby rideforever » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 pm

The reason is very simple; when you are young a single day is a total adventure into the unknown.

When you are old you have accumulated so much in your mind that you can't experience things directly - you can't see the sun 'as it is' because your mind has thousands of 'recordings' of the sun, and projects them onto your experience.

If you have done the spiritual work on yourself you can return to how it was when you where young.

In essence being young is a mystical experience. Everything is unknown and there is a fearless joy of exploration of it.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Jayakanth » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:40 am

rideforever wrote:The reason is very simple; when you are young a single day is a total adventure into the unknown.

When you are old you have accumulated so much in your mind that you can't experience things directly - you can't see the sun 'as it is' because your mind has thousands of 'recordings' of the sun, and projects them onto your experience.

If you have done the spiritual work on yourself you can return to how it was when you where young.

In essence being young is a mystical experience. Everything is unknown and there is a fearless joy of exploration of it.

Hmm.. How would one remove all his accumulated memories then? Tolle says not to dig up the past. Instead, we should deal with it as it manifests in the present.

Rgds
Jayakanth

Postby rideforever » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:26 am

Well it's very interesting being a child, and interesting to think about.

It does seem to me that it is a mystical state. And that it is integrated with worldly activities without any problem. Often people ask about how both sides can work together. Well they work together when you are a child.

Perhaps the love that your parents give you is enough for you to trust the whole thing. To trust exploring your existence, as children do. And the love of your parents is a preparation for the love of the divine.

As for getting rid of your memories. That wouldn't necessarily help. As you grow in this society you are encouraged to identify yourself with thought and concepts. You are encouraged to think. To see yourself through the lens of thinking. Through the lens of time.

And although you have access to many items in your experience and non-experience; you are encouraged put energy only into a small area : thought - which includes memories.

What is required is to realise that this thought-stuff is only a small part of you. And say "ah" there's lots of other stuff I have access to on the inside, and abide there. ET says over time the memories/emotional drives have less and less hold over you.

You can also do work to resolve your emotional memories, which are very strong in most people. Each one represents something that you didn't accept. So you can merge with them, you can accept them. Which is work and you need technique, but this also increases your freedom from the past.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby tikey » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 pm

i dont think it has anything to do with presence. i think its natural and everybody will tell you that.
Im just a cloudless sky :)
tikey

Postby Ralph » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Jayakanth wrote:Hmm.. How would one remove all his accumulated memories then? Tolle says not to dig up the past. Instead, we should deal with it as it manifests in the present

Remember ... memories buried alive never die, they will show up.

So the chances of them showing up in the present are most likely to occur.
Ralph

Postby Jayakanth » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Ralph wrote:
Jayakanth wrote:Hmm.. How would one remove all his accumulated memories then? Tolle says not to dig up the past. Instead, we should deal with it as it manifests in the present

So the only way to remove these memories is to be present to them?
Jayakanth

Postby Ralph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Jayakanth wrote:
Ralph wrote:

So the only way to remove these memories is to be present to them?

Well, if they keep showing up then I would say yes but it is not a matter of removing them but instead of facing them and see why they have such a hold over you. In other words, find out why these particular uncomfortable memories which keep showing up time and time again , carry so much weight .
Ralph

Postby swjugnu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 am

I think because we would like to pass more slowly in this period of life.
swjugnu

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:04 am

Maybe because you live on a mountain? Time passes a little faster when you are further away from the center of Earth.
Blenderhead

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 am

Blenderhead wrote:Maybe because you live on a mountain? Time passes a little faster when you are further away from the center of Earth.

I've noticed that, but I always thought it was just the wind blowing harder farther up.... :mrgreen:

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Blenderhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I had not thought about that, theoretically that must make the wind blow harder :D

It is proven scientifically that time is relative, but its only a few milliseconds in a hundred years or so. A very small difference.
Blenderhead

Postby Lola76 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:47 am

I remember learning somewhere that as children there is a physiological reason time seems to take forever. Like when you are a kid waiting for summer vacation, or even just the end of the school day, it took FOREVER. Well, this is supposed to be due to a chemical in the brain which is present in the brain as children and diminishes as we age. So if time seems to go by faster as you age, it may be due to that lack of this chemical.
Lola76

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion