Does Eckhart constantly feels his inner body?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Does Eckhart constantly feels his inner body?

Postby Pako Chubi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am

Is he feeling at every minute his inner body as something completely natural, or does he feel it sometimes throughout the day... What about you? :mrgreen:
The period of more intense consciousness in my life was the period I dedicated myself "stronger" to feel the inner body... I want to know if it is a requirement to being really conscious all day long :wink:
Pako Chubi

Re: Does Eckhart constantly feels his inner body?

Postby kiki » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:29 pm

I want to know if it is a requirement to being really conscious all day long

No. Feeling the inner body is just one strategy to direct attention away from the thinking mind, where people have been conditioned to have their attention. It's that conditioned mind where the ego makes its appearance, so by interrupting its lifeblood of attention it can be seen/realized that what you really are is not found in the mind.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Blenderhead » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't believe he practices all day long and thinks about the inner body, but I believe he feels it all day long.

According to Eckhart feeling the inner body is always a part of being present.

When you sense oneness with the external world it's also through the inner body and not through the mind.

So keep on practicing. I do.

:D
Blenderhead

Postby Blenderhead » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Pako Chubi wrote:The period of more intense consciousness in my life was the period I dedicated myself "stronger" to feel the inner body

Yes! :D 8) :D
Blenderhead

Postby Jayakanth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 am

Where did tolle based this inner body meditation from? Who did he learn it from?

Thanks
Jayakanth

Postby ashley72 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 am

I've heard him say that it's important to leave some attention on the inner body at all times.

In my own situation, inner body awareness has gradually increased over about 24 months. It's not something you need to practice it becomes part of your natural tendencies.

Douglas Harding was teaching it back in the 1950's. He taught people to turn attention 180 degrees back to where the head resides and notice your formless & Headless nature.

http://www.headless.org
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:43 am

Jayakanth wrote:Where did tolle based this inner body meditation from? Who did he learn it from?

Thanks

Barry Long no doubt... he was one of Eckhart Tolle's early spiritual teachers. This link makes reference to Barry talking about placing attention onto the inner body.

http://www.barrylong.org/statements/momentofstillness.shtml
ashley72

Postby Blenderhead » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Interesting :)
Blenderhead

Postby Jayakanth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:26 pm

ashley72 wrote:
Jayakanth wrote:Where did tolle based this inner body meditation from? Who did he learn it from?

Thanks

Barry Long no doubt... he was one of Eckhart Tolle's early spiritual teachers. This link makes reference to Barry talking about placing attention onto the inner body.

http://www.barrylong.org/statements/momentofstillness.shtml

Hmm ok. But it seemed it was more of an ancient thing. He said that physical aging can be reduced because of this meditation. What are your thoughts on that?
Jayakanth

Postby DavidB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:18 am

Hmm ok. But it seemed it was more of an ancient thing. He said that physical aging can be reduced because of this meditation. What are your thoughts on that?

I'd agree, yes. Being in touch with the inner body allows the body to be heard when it is in distress and therefore enables us to become active in the healing process when needed. Also, being in touch with the inner body allows the dissipation of trapped negative energies which if ignored may lead to the manifestation of physical illness.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby querencia » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm

The inner body meditation is a term coined by ET.

The practice is common to other "traditions" This practice is also referred to as embodied presence, embodied awareness or just embodiment. The practice of Vipassana also concentrates on sensations within the body.

The "first foundation of mindfulness" as taught by the Buddha is mindfulness of the body. I heard a talk by ET where he mentioned it as one of the first things the Buddha taught.

In writings attributed to the Buddha, this practice seems to be highly recommended by him. Here is a quote from the Buddha.

“There is one thing that when cultivated and regularly practiced, leads to deep spiritual intention, to peace, to mindfulness and clear comprehension, to vision and knowledge, to a happy life here and now and to the culmination of wisdom and awakening. And what is that one thing? It is mindfulness centered on the body.”

Elsewhere, Buddha said, “If the body is not cultivated, the mind cannot be cultivated. If the body is cultivated then the mind can be cultivated.”

Powerful words.

For me, the practice has changed my life. It has helped me in so many ways. The hardest part is remembering to do it. But I go through periods where it is always with me, so much so, that when I awake in the morning it is the first thing I am conscious of without my intending to be (maybe because I do to sleep practicing it)

Anyway, I'm presuming that he picked it up from other traditions and found it to be trans formative and simple and is why he talks about it so much. Rightfully so.

Last point, I once read a book called Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Dr. Rick Hanson, where he mentions this practice (calls something else) and says that it has the effect of quieting the chatty part of the brain and strengthens the part responsible for calmness and concentration.
querencia

Postby Jayakanth » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:16 am

querencia wrote:

The inner body meditation is a term coined by ET.

The practice is common to other "traditions" This practice is also referred to as embodied presence, embodied awareness or just embodiment. The practice of Vipassana also concentrates on sensations within the body.

The "first foundation of mindfulness" as taught by the Buddha is mindfulness of the body. I heard a talk by ET where he mentioned it as one of the first things the Buddha taught.

In writings attributed to the Buddha, this practice seems to be highly recommended by him. Here is a quote from the Buddha.

“There is one thing that when cultivated and regularly practiced, leads to deep spiritual intention, to peace, to mindfulness and clear comprehension, to vision and knowledge, to a happy life here and now and to the culmination of wisdom and awakening. And what is that one thing? It is mindfulness centered on the body.”

Elsewhere, Buddha said, “If the body is not cultivated, the mind cannot be cultivated. If the body is cultivated then the mind can be cultivated.”

Powerful words.

For me, the practice has changed my life. It has helped me in so many ways. The hardest part is remembering to do it. But I go through periods where it is always with me, so much so, that when I awake in the morning it is the first thing I am conscious of without my intending to be (maybe because I do to sleep practicing it)

Anyway, I'm presuming that he picked it up from other traditions and found it to be trans formative and simple and is why he talks about it so much. Rightfully so.

Last point, I once read a book called Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Dr. Rick Hanson, where he mentions this practice (calls something else) and says that it has the effect of quieting the chatty part of the brain and strengthens the part responsible for calmness and concentration.

I find this practice so effective. I practice it almost everyday. Where can i get more info on that? Does it take a lot of practice to increase ur sensitivity? 'm curious though, what are the other things the buddha taught that is espoused by ET? Pardon my ignorance in this.

Rgds
Jayakanth

Postby querencia » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Jayakanth wrote:
I find this practice so effective. I practice it almost everyday. Where can i get more info on that? Does it take a lot of practice to increase ur sensitivity? 'm curious though, what are the other things the buddha taught that is espoused by ET? Pardon my ignorance in this.

Rgds

The Buddha also spoke of living in the present moment and about the ego. It was through ET that I looked into Buddhism. I don't consider Buddhism to be a religion, since there is no god or anything to worship. The Buddha was a man, and nothing more. I think of him as one of the world's first psychotherapists or something along that lines. He didn't teach a religion but a path to internal peace and happiness. I don't consider myself a "Buddhist", but do read and listen to teachings about Buddhism. I think ET was influenced by these teachings.

I'm attaching a link to a Dharma talk by Tara Brach that dovetails nicely into this discussion. She teaches about Buddhist teachings, but not so much on information, but on practical experiences. This talk is about embodied presence and you will see by the talk that it is a significant practice. I would recommend to listen to her podcasts (there are hundreds) and maybe even read her book "Radical Acceptance".
querencia

Postby querencia » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Sorry, I forgot to include the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7_rAHpNURg

This talk explores how coming home to our bodies awakens us to living love, creativity and the deepest realization of who we are.
querencia

Postby Jayakanth » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 pm

querencia wrote:
Jayakanth wrote:

Rgds

The Buddha also spoke of living in the present moment and about the ego. It was through ET that I looked into Buddhism. I don't consider Buddhism to be a religion, since there is no god or anything to worship. The Buddha was a man, and nothing more. I think of him as one of the world's first psychotherapists or something along that lines. He didn't teach a religion but a path to internal peace and happiness. I don't consider myself a "Buddhist", but do read and listen to teachings about Buddhism. I think ET was influenced by these teachings.

I'm attaching a link to a Dharma talk by Tara Brach that dovetails nicely into this discussion. She teaches about Buddhist teachings, but not so much on information, but on practical experiences. This talk is about embodied presence and you will see by the talk that it is a significant practice. I would recommend to listen to her podcasts (there are hundreds) and maybe even read her book "Radical Acceptance".

Any Buddhist sources on the inner body awareness?
Jayakanth

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion