how to watch the thinker?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

how to watch the thinker?

Postby ZenOfchaos » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:24 am

Seems like its more of "review the thinker".

In other words I get a few thoughts and THEN i'll realise what I've just thought rather than witness thinking AS IT HAPPENS.

So am I falling at the first hurdle? Is there a way to tap into the witnesser ability?
ZenOfchaos

Re: how to watch the thinker?

Postby rideforever » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Go slower. Much slower.

Sit quietly allowing your body to become more still. Exciting foods will make it hard for this to happen ...

Watch your breathing.

Watch your thoughts.

Struggling to hold on to your awareness - before you start dreaming about Beyonce again - may be necessary in the beginning ... but all effort must be let go of eventually.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Jayakanth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Ive got a question. Tolle says tot watch the obeserver in TPON. But if we are the observer of our thoughts, isnt that being present? But if we are aware of the observer, is that a deeper awareness?
Jayakanth

Postby rideforever » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 am

Just happen to be listening to this where Anadi deals with transcending the observer :

http://www.anaditeaching.com/rec/1106/Meditation%20on%20Conscious%20Me%20Part%202.mp3
rideforever

Postby TruthWithin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Ok, don't be disheartened that you can't witness your thoughts as they happen. Some days I can't do this, but other days I can. I will tell you how I learnt how to do it.

Start when you realize you have been completely lost in a thought or thought pattern. This point, when you realise you were in it, is the beginning of awareness. You would not have come across this knowledge if you hadn't been aware, if there hadn't been some presence in you. So be thankful, not frustrated!

The next thing to be aware of is how you might beat yourself up that you were caught up. If you punish yourself you will only be spinning up the momentum of the mind. Simply put, you can be aware of your feelings of failure or frustration, or, you can be aware of the thing that just took you over.

If you don't have this hurdle, the next thing to do is to really look back on your consciousness. Look back in the last few seconds, and try to notice how it felt. The key here is to notice, and really familiarise yourself with the feeling of being sucked into, and completely lost in a thought. Really take a close look, a closer inspection of what exactly just happened. Have a look at how you got sucked in. Its not so much the content of the thought that is important, its more the action of getting sucked into it.

Pay VERY close attention, look back at how it happened, feel how it happened, run it through your mind. You'll find there is a trace energy left by a thought - and by simply witnessing that, your awareness will absorb it.

When you realise you've been in a thought, you don't condemn what just happened. In fact, you are almost really happy that it did just happen. Its actually really great it did happen, and heres why: by being lost in thought, you were given the opportunity to look closer at how you did it. You were given an opportunity to transcend it, even if by the tinniest of bits. Its actually quite funny - the ego is showing itself up, giving itself away. You can smile at it!

Once you've done this a fair bit, you'll find you are not so easily drawn into thought. Thats because your awareness has been growing with every time you awaken and inspect. If you keep doing this, you'll soon be able to encapsulate (become the space around) the full compulsive-thought-energy-field. It takes time and forgiveness. So always be prepared to forgive yourself if you need to fail, or if you are a ways back along the path. Its perfectly ok! Its a great opportunity.

Hope this helps :)
TruthWithin

Postby ZenOfchaos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It will be difficult not to get frustrated when you can't 'get the hang of it'. Forgiveness and patience will help.

Any other tips welcome :)
ZenOfchaos

Postby rideforever » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 pm

When you get frustrated ... watch the frustration very closely. It will try to carry you along with its energy so that you can't get any distance from it ... but keep trying .. watch ... watch ... watch. Remain alert, aware, inside.

Sit in meditation. Remember that you are doing it because you love yourself. Then watch with all mighty force for 20 minutes ... do not release your attention ... watch ... watch ... watch. The thoughts will pull you this way and that ... anger ... fear ... boredom ... sleepiness.

Hold fast !!

After time it gets easier.

You see there is a tremendous trick I am trying to show you. It is a good one. So you try to watch your thoughts. And your minds says "Oh I am frustrated" ... your mind is just trying to give you the "slip". It's a bit like "These aren't the droids you are looking for" ... from Star Wars.

You are searching, and your mind is hiding, giving you the slip.

But then ... you just watch the mind giving you the slip ... and you've got him ! You watch your mind generating the thought "I am frustrated" ... and you hold fast to that. Do you see ?

Use the power of C H A O S !!!
rideforever

Postby jimmyrich » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:34 am

All I can tell you is what I do - for now. My method may change so this is what I do these days.

I sit in meditation or in just about any situation, active or inactive. I focus in on what I am thinking by asking my self "what am I thinking about right now?" Sometimes just asking causes my mind to stop or go blank since it's not used to being watched or questioned. Pretty soon I notice some little old thoughts coming up or in and I steadfastly watch or observe them while trying NOT to get sucked into the drama my mind is beginning to spin once more. I try to see my mind as a little, self operating wind-up toy that is putting on a show for me and hoping I will fall into it's game. I try to see that my mind is "over there" while I am over here, as my self, witnessing or observing the mind's stunts and shows - which often come with intense feelings as well as pictures and sound, etc. I keep on watching my little mind doing it's funny little thing while simultaneously FEELING my self as the watcher or witness of this funny little mind and thought stream. If I am successful at this, I quickly or slowly detach from my mind and enter or become ME - the Real Me who hovers in the background and watches the mind and my environment. I say "background" but, at that moment, I (as the Real Me) am in the foreground and everywhere or nowhere since I then experience my self as NOTHING and NOWHERE but really SOMETHING and EVERYWHERE with no boundaries or dimension. When I become completely aware of and AS my (Real) self, my mind usually stops and there is no longer a sense of an ego or mind yet I am still thinking, feeling, doing and LOVING the whole experience and freedom of just being ME - without a mind or ego. From that "divine" or aware place/state, I can see that I am in total control of my mind, ego, body and just about everything I need to or want to be in charge of yet there is often a sense that I need do NOTHING once I am my Real Self again!
It is my current experience that this exalted or divine state doesn't last very long and I soon find myself back into the little, egoic me and it's monkey mind BUT now, I am beginning to retain the memory of being my Real Self and losing the attachment to my mind/ego self since I now know that there really is a Real Me right here along side of this egoic/mind self and it's supposed to be in charge - not the little mind/instrument. Somehow my little mind is not as powerful and seductive as it has always been and it's getting easier to FEEL my Realness beyond my personal egoic condition.
This is my process for now. Good luck on your trip to your Real Self. Jim :)
jimmyrich

Postby jcarruth » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Watching the Thinker - distilled from TPON, pages 14-17
Put this on a 3x5 card and carry it with you.

Start listening to the voice in your head.
When you listen to that voice, do not judge.
The thoughts lose their power.
You no longer identify with them.
You experience a gap of “no-mind.”
These gaps gradually become longer.
When they occur, you feel stillness and peace.
Measure your success by the degree of peace
you feel within.
jcarruth

Postby jcarruth » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:59 pm

A watched mind never thinks.
jcarruth

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion