Please tell me why this forum exists

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Please tell me why this forum exists

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:53 am

Yes..

Why does this forum exist?

Because you want to improve yourself / the world?
You want to do the RIGHT THING?
You want to improve as a being, and make the world "a better place"?
You want other people to understand "the truth", which is YOUR PERSONAL TRUTH?
Where does that enthusiasm come from?
Ask yourself
Eggs uses hens to become more eggs
AnonyMouse

Re: Please tell me why this forum exists

Postby manonfyre » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:35 am

I don't know but I would like to hear why you think the forum exists.
manonfyre

Postby ashley72 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:43 am

AnonyMouse wrote:Yes..

Why does this forum exist?

I have created this website because Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now has been a great source of peace and wisdom in my life. It is my desire and intent to make an online resource that would be helpful at promoting Eckhart Tolle's teachings.

If you are unfamiliar with Tolle's teachings I strongly recommend that you read the first chapter from The Power of Now. I was totally captivated by it and immediately knew that I must read this book. Reading The Power of Now impacted me more deeply than I am able to express, and now I wish to share this beautiful book of wisdom and peace with as many people as I can. This website is my attempt to do so.

If you enjoy the pages of this site and find them useful, please consider recommending it to your friends. If you own a website, no matter how small, placing a link to the site would be of great help in making it more available to people who may benefit from its content. Each incoming link counts. ~ Eric (founder of the forum)
ashley72

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:59 am

ashley72 wrote:It is my desire and intent to make an online resource that would be helpful at promoting Eckhart Tolle's teachings.

And I ask you.. Where does this desire come from? Have you checked that it's not rooted in the ego?

My questions was more existential/egoic inquiries than practical questions

Yes I have read The Power Of Now. 5 times actually
Changed my life too
But I don't just take Tolle's truths as absolute or my own, not without digging, testing and challenging it
Last edited by AnonyMouse on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnonyMouse

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 am

ashley72 wrote:If you enjoy the pages of this site and find them useful, please consider recommending it to your friends. If you own a website, no matter how small, placing a link to the site would be of great help in making it more available to people who may benefit from its content. Each incoming link counts

:roll:
AnonyMouse

Postby ashley72 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 am

AnonyMouse wrote:My questions was more existential/egoic inquiries than practical questions

Stupid questions... Get stupid answers. :wink:
ashley72

Postby karmarider » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:56 pm

AnonyMouse wrote:But I don't just take Tolle's truths as absolute or my own, not without digging, testing and challenging it

Dig deeper, Anonymouse.

Your question is obviously trying to make an ironical point about some understanding you have achieved about ego and desire. Dig deeper, and see if your motivation to ask a trip-up question on a forum about a forum also comes from the ego/desire mechanism you are trying to point out. Dig even deeper than that, and see if there is anything inherently wrong with the ego-desire mechanism.

Check it. This does not require your actual response as it is "more existential/egoic inquiries than practical questions."

The irony is sweet but if you want to actually discuss what's on your mind, just say what's on your mind honestly and openly, and you will get responses in kind.
karmarider

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:21 pm

karmarider wrote:
AnonyMouse wrote:But I don't just take Tolle's truths as absolute or my own, not without digging, testing and challenging it

Dig deeper, Anonymouse.

Your question is obviously trying to make an ironical point about some understanding you have achieved about ego and desire. Dig deeper, and see if your motivation to ask a trip-up question on a forum about a forum also comes from the ego/desire mechanism you are trying to point out. Dig even deeper than that, and see if there is anything inherently wrong with the ego-desire mechanism.

Check it. This does not require your actual response as it is "more existential/egoic inquiries than practical questions."

The irony is sweet but if you want to actually discuss what's on your mind, just say what's on your mind honestly and openly, and you will get responses in kind.

Karmarider, thank you for seeing me and taking my post/issue "seriously" ;)
I was actually half drunk when I posted it.. I needed to let off some steam/frustrations/anger/confusion. I did it in a provocative way, I know. And now I can see a lot of ego in my post..
But there is still some truth to it, I think.
And I'm so tired to the bones of behaving calm and nicely..
But I will keep digging :)
AnonyMouse

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymouse said:
And I'm so tired to the bones of behaving calm and nicely..

Sounds more like 'acting' than being, mouse.

Enthusiasm is playing in the mud if that's where you fall, not worrying about how you might look.

It's far from tiring, its energising.
Yes there is much ego discussion and evidence in all expressions of life, those can be tiring, it's an energy level of stodge and slog.
Enjoyment is letting go, uplifting and Enthusiasm a hoot falling into life.

What are you holding on to/for?
Last edited by smiileyjen101 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby ashley72 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 am

AnonyMouse wrote:And I'm so tired to the "bone" of behaving calm and nicely..
But I will keep digging :)

ashley72

Postby karmarider » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:44 am

AnonyMouse wrote:I was actually half drunk when I posted it.. I needed to let off some steam/frustrations/anger/confusion. I did it in a provocative way, I know. And now I can see a lot of ego in my post..
But there is still some truth to it, I think....

Been there. I appreciate the honesty. Yes, it's sometimes very frustrating. And in those times we want to shake everything up. Which is not a bad thing.
karmarider

Postby Sighclone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 am

Anon -

Absolutely nothing wrong with the question. Thanks, ashley for the clarifying comments from Eric, and kr for your usual kind, wise and incisive comments.

Maybe a better question is "why does it still exist after eight years?" I would say that less than 30% of the actual topic conversations stay rooted in specific ET teachings. And, Anon, I think part of the answer to the last question has to do with two things: 1) He changed your life, and also the lives of many of the other members. 2) (and if this sounds egoic, I apologize -- I personally think that ET is a little too rough on the ego) It still exist because people can come here and know that it is well-moderated...that they will not be repeatedly attacked...that there is enforcement to "behaving calm and nicely," that there are rules, and in spite of this general policy, please recall that the "approval process" disappears after five posts from a new member.

And there is nothing wrong with not behaving calm and nicely. The Zen movement in China progressed well after masters started whacking the monks with a stick! And sometimes you need to stand up and scream! And maybe keep screaming until that little fixation of the painbody or ego gets seen, gets to ventilate, gets some exposure on the big screen. All good there.

It's just that here, you can't do that very much. Because then you run into the individual Moderator's subjective decisions. Those we don't discuss specifically. I do not think it is violation of policy, however, to mention that an individual Moderator can ban any member, outright, without consulting with anyone. Pow. Gone. Bye-bye. Yes, there might be a discussion after the fact. But not necessarily.

But asking questions like this one, with all its irony and sardonic tone...just fine.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby rachMiel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 am

Sighclone wrote:It's just that here, you can't do that very much. Because then you run into the individual Moderator's subjective decisions. Those we don't discuss specifically. I do not think it is violation of policy, however, to mention that an individual Moderator can ban any member, outright, without consulting with anyone. Pow. Gone. Bye-bye. Yes, there might be a discussion after the fact. But not necessarily.

That sounds a bit ominous.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Sighclone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 am

Shoudn't, if you play by the Rules...here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2051

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby rachMiel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:37 am

This rule seems to paint a different picture than what you said about any moderator being able to ban any member quasi-arbitrarily:

10. Banning - 3 Warnings and You're Out!

Three warnings is very fair, I think.

As much as I dislike rules in general, I realize they are necessary to maintain order in an online forum like this. I've always appreciated the etiquette in this forum.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion