The Now

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The Now

Postby Trev » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Though I can see that there is only ever the now the draw of the 'future' is very real as the content of the now can and often is undesirable -- eg) the experience of physical pain or depression or anxiety or just being in a situation that you find difficult -say a long period at work without a day off in your rota. So the draw of the 'future' is the thought that in 2 weeks time i will be on holiday in the Maldives not going to work a 12 hour shift on a cold rainy day. So that future moment is also a reality because you WILL :) experience the maldives -- yes in the now when it arrives but that doesnt stop the urge to 'get there' when things are not so good. Thus arises the desire to be somewhere other than where you are and non acceptance. How do we get around that??
Trev

Re: The Now

Postby karmarider » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Trev wrote:... So that future moment is also a reality because you WILL :) experience the maldives -- yes in the now when it arrives but that doesnt stop the urge to 'get there' when things are not so good. Thus arises the desire to be somewhere other than where you are and non acceptance. How do we get around that??

The thought of the future Maldives experience happens in the now. It is thought, emotion, and anticipation. It can simply be noticed, without resistance.

If you want to get deeper into it, I've found it helpful to ask who the thought/imagination/anticipation happens to. The you that you think the thought is happening to does not refer to anything real. The thought/imagination/anticipation is just happening in the mind/body, and that can be noticed.
karmarider

Re: The Now

Postby rideforever » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 pm

the experience of physical pain or depression or anxiety or just being in a situation that you find difficult -say a long period at work without a day off in your rota.

Although this may be hard to understand, or hard to believe, this is not the present. These are your thoughts of the present.

What your mind is doing is fetching memories from the past, mixing them with fears, and telling you that the next time you try to be present (which will be in the future) that this going to happen. Your mind is just acting like a machine, and you are stuck in it.

Being present is quite different.

It can take time to understand. Practice regularly, gently, but persistently. And you will see. Talk is cheap.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion