Awareness

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: Awareness

Postby rachMiel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:12 am

runstrails wrote:
And my "everyday awareness" sure as c'hell isn't that!

Actually it is :wink:. It's ordinary and its limitless/eternal. It's who you are :D.

Well it sure doesn't *feel* like that. It feels by turns ... dull and manic. Like a child who swings between torpor and ADHD. ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Donna » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm

rachMiel wrote:On the other hand I kind of hate it, because it's difficult for me to do, disrupts the normal ways my mind works (which I find pleasurable), and has (thus far) yielded no deeply satisfying payoff. (The one exception is that, sometimes, being aware seems to heighten and expand "what is" in a beautiful way. But this is generally very short lived.)

I think we can take bits from the many people, like Krishnamurti, experiment, try to practice what they are describing, but in the end, if you are suffering more than enjoying, I'd say this may not be your method of practicing a state of awareness, whatever that may be.

What you got out of this is exercising a motivation, a curiosity to try something...don't give up on this, but don't get stuck either on thinking just because others "say" this is "the way", make sure you are honoring yourself, leave it, and do something different.

I have found also that at times I just wasn't in the right place, but later in life, having a different perspective, I was able to accept what was being offered and understand it better. One example is Eckhart Tolle's books. Many years ago, a friend introduced The Power of Now to me. At the time I started reading it and thought it rubbish. A couple of years ago, Tolle's name came up again. At that point, it dawned on me what he was saying and I was able to use Tolle's information to benefit me.
~*~*~*~* I love to live and live to love. *~*~*~*~
Donna

Postby rachMiel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks, Donna. :-)

I use the same approach you do: Give something a try, observe the results, and either go deeper (if the results are promising) or put it aside (if not).

I started experimenting with Krishnamurtian awareness in my mid-20s. That's a long time ago! Off and on it's clicked to some extent, but never The Big Click. I keep coming back to it, with a kind of naive innocence (beginner's mind ish), because there's something about it that keeps ... beckoning. As if it has treasures to reveal if approached and practiced correctly. (I realize this might be yet another fairy tale I believe in. I also realize it might not.)
rachMiel

Postby karmarider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

rachMiel wrote:Well it sure doesn't *feel* like that. It feels by turns ... dull and manic. Like a child who swings between torpor and ADHD. ;-)

rachMiel, it does not feel limitless or eternal--those are unexamined assumptions put on it by spirituality. It also does not feel not-eternal or not-limitless. The qualities of time or space cannot be applied. It has no qualities whatsoever.

The feeling of torpor or ADHD or lifelessness or connectedness--these are all mental states.

Awareness is just you. The very oridinary you. Bring your attention to you, whatever that means to you. It's self-correcting. You can't do it wrong.

When you do this, nothing mystical will happen. Nothing spiritual will happen. You will not be blown away by the eternal or limitless nature of it because it has no nature. It has no qualities whatsoever.

You may or may not feel a small bit of agitation in the beginning. As you do this, you will remember other times in your life, even from when you were a child, when you had withdrawn into yourself with awareness.

I think John Sherman is very good at this particular thing. He brings non-spiritual clarity to something which is already simple. Here's an example:

http://www.johnsherman.org/john_sherman ... n+Texts%29
karmarider

Postby rachMiel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 pm

karmarider wrote:
rachMiel wrote:Well it sure doesn't *feel* like that. It feels by turns ... dull and manic. Like a child who swings between torpor and ADHD. ;-)

rachMiel, it does not feel limitless or eternal--those are unexamined assumptions put on it by spirituality. It also does not feel not-eternal or not-limitless. The qualities of time or space cannot be applied. It has no qualities whatsoever.

I get that awareness/consciousness/emptiness (The Ground) is beyond qualities: good, bad, soft, hard, beautiful, ugly. That it just is.

But'cha know ... almost without exception, people who have (allegedly) realized this emptiness describe the result as blissful. Bliss sounds good to me. I want it. ;-)
rachMiel

Postby karmarider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:14 pm

rachMiel wrote:But'cha know ... almost without exception, people who have (allegedly) realized this emptiness describe the result as blissful. Bliss sounds good to me. I want it. ;-)

Hehe, well, bliss I suppose is enticing.

I don't know about bliss. My goal was to be a natural human being--free of inner resistance. I don't know if I'm completely there, but I do know life is very satisfying. I don't know what the next thing is, but this right now is pretty good. If I want bliss, I'll smoke some good weed.
karmarider

Postby rachMiel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

karmarider wrote:
rachMiel wrote:But'cha know ... almost without exception, people who have (allegedly) realized this emptiness describe the result as blissful. Bliss sounds good to me. I want it. ;-)

Hehe, well, bliss I suppose is enticing.

I don't know about bliss. My goal was to be a natural human being--free of inner resistance. I don't know if I'm completely there, but I do know life is very satisfying. I don't know what the next thing is, but this right now is pretty good. If I want bliss, I'll smoke some good weed.

Drug-lightenment! ;-)

My goal is more like ecstasy, in the original Greek sense of ekstasis: standing outside of, beyond. Rapture.
rachMiel

Previous

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion