When watching the mind

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

When watching the mind

Postby alethea » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Does "knowing" it is ego help with the dissolving of ego.. as I tend to watch my mind and get lost in the stream of crazy thoughts.

So to be on the safe side, when you "know" "knowing" it is the ego will help to dissolve it much more efficiently?

Also, I've been practising forgiveness and does the same principle apply as thoughts and emotions and reactions (like a car alarm, you let it just pass through you) - so the body becomes like a vessel really

I'd also like to say that last night I was pondering the "i cannot live with my self" thought and realised the physical world is an illusion of sorts, when this happened my mind temporerily stopped dead and I heard the words "let yourself get sucked in" as though from "another side" I'm pretty sure it was the unmanifested itself because I felt like this vibrating peace in my chest and in various parts of my body and it felt like a plug hole though I probably made the mistake of trying to hard to fall in and it was lost eventually through frustration.. but I am getting there and am baffled because before now I've always been an aetheist! :shock:
alethea

Re: When watching the mind

Postby magicbutterfly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 pm

:idea:
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby RCharles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:55 am

Hi Alethea,

Yes, of course, being aware of the ego makes it easier to be released from its grip. You can watch the ego with all its thoughts and emotions without getting caught up in the drama. Learning to relax and not get sucked in is a lifetime effort. Others will dispute this, but I don't think anyone ever gets perfectly free of the ego. I have never met an egoless person, even among spiritual teachers. However, one can learn to come much less under the control of the ego's thoughts and emotions and live a largely peaceful life. Candice O'Denver says, "Short moments of clarity repeated many times become continuous." In other words, as you practice watching thoughts and emotions over and over again, moment by moment, without reacting, eventually you develop the more or less continuous habit of remaining in clarity.

Please note that the ego is not the enemy. It is a power tool of the mind that allows us to act and interact in our world to accomplish tasks. The challenge is to learn to turn off the tool when it's not needed.

Regarding "spiritual" states, voices, and experiences, they can be interesting indicators that something is happening in your spiritual life. Just don't pay them too much attention. Experiences are not the point; they are just more thoughts. Eventually, as you gain more clarity, you will learn to recognize thoughts that come from spirit vs those that come from ego. When you have that discernment, you won't need anybody to confirm it for you. You will know that you know.
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Postby jimmyrich » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:12 am

alethea wrote:Does "knowing" it is ego help with the dissolving of ego.. as I tend to watch my mind and get lost in the stream of crazy thoughts.

I can only share with you what I do or know, so far. This morning, I sat and invited my little mind to go ahead and run amuck or do whatever it does while I watched it like a wind-up toy. I watched it as my self, the Observer, without trying to stop, control or guide my little mind as it did all of it's silly little tricks and each time I found myself SEDUCED into my little mind's activities, I tried to remember that I AM NOT MY MIND - I am my self watching my monkey mind like a little self motivated wind-up toy. This process of Watching or Witnessing is getting stronger in me now and I am beginning to FEEL my Real Self beyond or outside of my "monkey" mind and it's the greatest feeling I've ever known after a life time of being lost in my little, hysterical mind! I currently believe that struggling with and dissolving the "ego" is a big mistake because, I am not an ego and there is no ego once I become my Real Self - even if for only an instant! Being told to fight with our mind and kill our ego might be an unwitting way to keep us focused on those things and never realize that we have to REMEMBER & BECOME our Real Self or there will never be any peace or freedom for us.

re: Also, I've been practising forgiveness and does the same principle apply as thoughts and emotions and reactions (like a car alarm, you let it just pass through you) - so the body becomes like a vessel really
>> Pass through Who? When you realize that you are not a: mind, ego, body, person, feeling, etc., there won't be anyone for anything to "pass through"!

re: I'd also like to say that last night I was pondering the "i cannot live with my self" thought and realised the physical world is an illusion of sorts, when this happened my mind temporerily stopped dead and I heard the words "let yourself get sucked in" as though from "another side" I'm pretty sure it was the unmanifested itself because I felt like this vibrating peace in my chest and in various parts of my body and it felt like a plug hole though I probably made the mistake of trying to hard to fall in and it was lost eventually through frustration.. but I am getting there and am baffled because before now I've always been an aetheist! :shock:
>> The voice telling you to "let yourself get sucked in" was probably (the real) YOU telling your egoic self to "let go" so it looks like you are getting pretty close to being strong enough or courageous enough to let go and WAKE UP to who/what you really are beyond a limited, anxious little person. good luck, jim :)
jimmyrich

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion