unhappiness

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

unhappiness

Postby mpat124 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:16 pm

“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is.”

― Eckhart Tolle

I'm a huge fan of Eckhart Tolle. Recently a friend of mine started a debate in relation to this quote.

Her thoughts are that the only way to do this, is to die and what about the opposite? If you separate yourself from unhappy thoughts you have to separate yourself from happy thoughts. And what reality isn't socially constructed in some manner? What can we as humans define as neutral without some element of bias? She thinks that this is impossible. Evaluate your thoughts for sure, but don't disown them, manage them.

What do everyone think of her argument?
mpat124

Re: unhappiness

Postby karmarider » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:21 pm

mpat124 wrote:“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is.”

― Eckhart Tolle

I'm a huge fan of Eckhart Tolle. Recently a friend of mine started a debate in relation to this quote.

Her thoughts are that the only way to do this, is to die and what about the opposite? If you separate yourself from unhappy thoughts you have to separate yourself from happy thoughts. And what reality isn't socially constructed in some manner? What can we as humans define as neutral without some element of bias? She thinks that this is impossible. Evaluate your thoughts for sure, but don't disown them, manage them.

What do everyone think of her argument?

I say to your friend when ET says to be aware of thoughts, he's saying to take a step back and notice thoughts, not to evaluate or manage or disown the content of the thoughts. You just observe, notice.

And I would also say ET is not clear enough. Situations are the problem; thoughts are not the problem. People who train themselves to notice and to be aware of thoughts and to be present and to quiet the mind and to disidentify from thoughts still find that the unhappiness in them hasn't gone away.

The discontent of life comes from the feeling of separation. We feel discontent because we are not at home in our own life because of the context of fear.
Last edited by karmarider on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karmarider

Postby rideforever » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm

mpat124 wrote:Her thoughts are that the only way to do this, is to die and what about the opposite? If you separate yourself from unhappy thoughts you have to separate yourself from happy thoughts. And what reality isn't socially constructed in some manner? What can we as humans define as neutral without some element of bias? She thinks that this is impossible. Evaluate your thoughts for sure, but don't disown them, manage them.

Although your friend is being very logical here, she is also trapped by her mind. All these responses come from the mind - who she clearly believes herself to be.

Watching your thoughts is an experiment, and if you do it correctly you will see for yourself that you are not your mind. By observing your thoughts you suddenly realise that you are the one who is watching your thoughts.

"Socially constructed" ... yes this is correct. Your thoughts are totally socially constructed. And this is why they have nothing to do with you. And this is why there is urgency to find yourself. Most people end up doing and being what their parents or teachers told them to be - rather than finding themselves.

"What can we as humans define as neutral ?" ... Spirituality is about becoming vastly more alive - otherwise there is no point. If you feel that you are becoming sleeping or trying to bury things - that is not the technique. You must remain very focussed, very sharp, very alive.

"Evaluate your thoughts" ... this is having more thoughts about your thoughts. This is not the technique. The idea is not that you have "more" thoughts.

Watching your thoughts very attentively is not severing them, is not killing them, is not thinking about them. It is watching them very alertly.

Just watch, become aware. Bring all your passion to a deep awareness. Stay here and don't move, just go deeper. Don't give energy to thinking, become aware of thoughts, of how they arrive, and how they leave. Over time you will get it.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:47 am

“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is.”

― Eckhart Tolle

If one applies ET's notions of ego will make enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a thing, situation or person this quote may make more sense.

If one applies acceptance, enjoyment or enthusiasm depending on the thing, situation or person we are not making judgements that create unhappiness by aligning with thoughts of disappointment or surprise based on the distance between reality and expectation.

The situation just is.

It is judging it that brings it into the mind by a perspective. There could be 7 billion (population of Earth) perspectives, all with differences through judgement, they only define the perspective, not the 'situation'.

Yet one "situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is.”
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion