Who am I?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Who am I?

Postby zhddz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:34 am

I just read ET's the power of now.
If I am not my mind, and I am not my phycial body (form), then who am I?
zhddz

Re: Who am I?

Postby kiki » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 am

This is the essential question, isn't it? It's the question each person must answer for themselves through direct investigation. So that's your task. What remains when all thoughts and ideas about "me" drop away must necessarily be what you are. Getting a pat answer from someone else doesn't do much to answer your question because every answer is just more concepts, so start finding out for yourself and become your own authority. This is what self inquiry is all about, and it's what Ramana Maharshi advocates.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby rachMiel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 am

zhddz wrote:If I am not my mind, and I am not my phycial body (form), then who am I?

Welcome to The Grand Inquiry! :-)

Plenty of people will offer answers to your question. Some will be breathtakingly beautiful; some might even be "right." ;-) But I agree with kiki: Ultimately, you've got to answer it for yourself, by learning first-hand what makes "you" tick.

One tip, something that helps me in my inquiry: Along with asking "Who am I?" ask "What am I?" In other words, what is this *thing* you are thinking of as I?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby zhddz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 am

Maybe the concept of "I" is also an illusion. Sometimes my identity is useful for solving practical problems, and most time, it just makes me lose the consciousness of Being.
Last edited by zhddz on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhddz

Postby rideforever » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 am

There is an answer !

But the answer lies outside of concepts - and so you need to transcend this mind to become the mind that can understand what is non conceptual.

That is why meditation is a change of being - you go deeper into yourself to find the mind that can understand profound things. The normal human mind can understand only superficial things.

When you observe the mind functioning ... where do you sense yourself to be ? Where are you ?

Wherever that is ... abide in it, settle in it, surrender to it ... and go deeper.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby arel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:32 pm

The answer to this question is simple though I guess is subtle to sense in experience. It is subtle because it points to what is so familiar. And I'm not talking about ego. Awareness that you are, is familiar to you, and me, more then anything else. It pervades all experience. It's that, that never changes. Find that, which never changes....

So maybe when it is mentioned, you go looking for an object of some sort. That's what language usually points to, objects. You are the subject however, awareness. As you pay attention to that fact, and realize that that's what you really are, there is no fireworks or anything. It's simple, though easily missed. It might surprise you that you always mistook your sense of self for something else, which, no denying it, is very familiar as well - the ego. But still, there are occasions where there is no ego, no body, but you are, you exist, when nothing else is there/here. The realization of this true identity is an important shift. It does not stop there, but it is a point that most teachings point to continuously.
What I say is only my viewpoint.
arel

Postby karmarider » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:25 pm

zhddz wrote:If I am not my mind, and I am not my phycial body (form), then who am I?

Bring your attention to the feeling of you, just the ordinary you, plain and simple.

Spriituality complicates it by making us believe that you are looking for some special thing in you, something spiritual or mystical or eternal.

Check out John Sherman. He's very good at explaining this.
karmarider

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 pm

zhddz wrote:I just read ET's the power of now.

I have found that 'who am I' is not the best question to ask of ourselves. An easier path to clarity is to ask 'what am I?" Identification with thought is a major issue that must be addressed. It's the basis of the ego perspective on life as separateness. Asking 'who?' only reinforces a misperception. 'What am I?' however, stands a better chance of revealing one's true nature without the obstacle of identification misleading our inquiry.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby HermitLoon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:50 pm

All that "exists" is the Infinite Potential for Being.
When expressed through the hypothetical lense of the Illusion of Separation, that Potential could seem to become experienced as a Physical Universe with time, space, matter and energy - even an individual mind/body/person. There could also be an infinite number of "Universes" existing in an infinite number of "Dimensions" with slightly to massively different outcomes based on differing events that happen .
Rather than clinging to "being" as "this life - the way I am", it is much more peaceful to think of the essence of our being as Infinite Potential - where anything could happen - and then to simply watch the way "this show" plays out
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby rideforever » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:28 pm

HermitLoon wrote:Rather than clinging to "being" as "this life - the way I am", it is much more peaceful to think of the essence of our being as Infinite Potential - where anything could happen - and then to simply watch the way "this show" plays out

If you are still thinking and watching, then you still are, and not free.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Marcel Franke » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Aaaahhhhhhhh, such a lovely question.........
---ooOoo---
Marcel Franke

Postby Testigo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:40 am

HermitLoon wrote: There could also be an infinite number of "Universes" existing in an infinite number of "Dimensions" with slightly to massively different outcomes based on differing events that happen .
Rather than clinging to "being" as "this life - the way I am", it is much more peaceful to think of the essence of our being as Infinite Potential - where anything could happen - and then to simply watch the way "this show" plays out

In 1957 the quantic physicist Everett described how; "...there is only one physical system representing the observer, yet there is no single unique state of the observer...Thus with each succeeding observation (or interaction), the observer state 'branches' into a number of different states," and "each branch represents a different outcome of the measurement" Everett referred to his approach as the "relative state formulation" because it shows that everything we experience exists in relational terms... Neither branch is more real than the other... Everett argued that "it is completely unnecessary to suppose that after an observation somehow one element of the final superposition is selected to be awarded with a mysterious quality called 'reality' and the others condemned to oblivion".
With the equations of Everett, as far as our mind can follow them, there is a ramification in every taken decision, and two concrete alternatives are open and in both of them one different reality is lived... until the next discjunctive, where the process is repeated.
In this way, the subramifications turn up to be of a complexity and colosal extensions, of a universal infinitude that give realization to The Absolute. All this is part of Being, The Absolute, The Inmanifested to experience trhough the dance of form, in a way that its presence embraces everything in all dimmensions or universes.
In this context, Conscience, being so universal and absolute, and perceiving and experiencing all the forms that have been, that are and that will be in the infinite scenarios of the cosmos, puts the concept of individuality, of identity as soemething that doesn’t have reality. When we identify ourselves with form, through the intellect, we generate the ego, to in this way obtain the vane notion of existence. The ambulant field of conscience that we are doesn’t need a name, a nationality, sex, religions or any other identification. Our mision, in every situations we have to deal with, is to bring conscience to the material world, without giving much importance to what we do, but at how we do it. In our human plane the confluence of all the individual consciencess gradually feeds the field of the manifested, and is also be gradually penetrated and saturated by the Inmanifested, Conscience, Being.
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now
Testigo

Postby EckhartMastery » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:44 am

Simple, your everything that ever has been and ever will be, and your expressing yourself through you physical body, through me, through your laptop, your pen, your chair, that plant you see, everything you can perceive and sooooo much more!

You cannot think this, you can only allow this truth to BE, It always IS, we just don't allow it to. That Truth is what you KNOW when your still or present.
EckhartMastery

Postby psirotta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm

I always found the question "Who am I?" a bit nebulous to contemplate, so I ask myself a slightly different version of it that takes me directly to my essence identity: "Who was I before my parents gave me a name?"

I have asked others this question and almost always get the same answer: "I don't know."

Good answer!
psirotta

Postby jimmyrich » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:22 am

zhddz wrote:I just read ET's the power of now.

In 12 step sharing meetings, I learned to speak for and about my self and not offer lectures or 3rd party commentaries so......
When I explore the question "who am I?", I often find that I am my "other" self but a much different, better, simpler, lighter, bigger, and generally difficult to describe SELF or ME. I have recently experienced (felt) my SELF as an awareness or consciousness that is empty or is NOTHING yet quite full and very different from the "nothing" that I usually experience. I can only say what I have felt, seen, heard or actually experience or experienced and it's very unique and varied over the years but much more focused and significant in recent times. I was taught to explore the question "What am I?" with the expectation of finding a self that is not a person or ego, but more like a "thing". I have had that experience but the "Who am I?" question takes me closer to a FEELING of my Real Self than most other inquiries, for now.
I'd be glad to share all of the different experiences of my "awakening" and "realizing" over the years but I think you should pursue your own methods and experiences with this to arrive at a Felt/Realization that works for you. I have noticed that many of my "Realizations" do not match anybody else's while some do/did so it may be counter productive not to match someone's experience and could lead you to believe you are either wrong or made a mistake. I am confident that when you find and FEEL your Real Self, you will have no doubt that it's REAL and not a mistake even if your experience never matches mine or anybody else's. Good luck and happy sailing back to the FEELING OF THE REAL.

try this man's methods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_iJTt6TR0
:) jim
jimmyrich

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion