Introspect on retrospective thinking

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Introspect on retrospective thinking

Postby ashley72 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Has anyone here also pondered that we have the extraordinary cognitive ability to "introspect" on both retrospective & prospective thoughts?

In other words, whenever 'you' become conscious of 'your' attentional focus has wandered off into a past memory or anticipated event.

There is an important hierarchy in our cognitive function tree... & introspection is of a high order than both retrospection & prospection.

Last edited by ashley72 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley72

Re: Introspect on retrospective thinking

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 pm

good morning Ash :)
Can you give us a working example of those things... in scenario form.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby ashley72 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:good morning Ash :)
Can you give us a working example of those things... in scenario form.

I gave some examples in the left & right hemisphere thread in respect to Tolle.

But to summarise:

1. Retrospection is attending to past events
2. Prospection is attending to anticipated events
3. Introspection is attending to both retrospection & prospection.
4. Extrospection is attending to our external senses.

Furthermore: introspection can also attend to the emotions & feelings that arise whilst retrospection or prospection is takening place. But these "feelings" that arise are of a lower order than the feelings (senses) that arise from extrospection.
ashley72

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm

I read this one first.. it was at the top when I came in :wink:

Furthermore: introspection can also attend to the emotions & feelings that arise whilst retrospection or prospection is takening place. But these "feelings" that arise are of a lower order than the feelings (senses) that arise from extrospection.

It's abundantly clear that you know all these theories and perspectives Ash, I was wondering what you do with them, how they present in your life, how you move in the world relating to others and life with this knowledge, how does it look, feel, sound, taste, for you. What joys does it bring? (apart from typing it here :wink: )
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby ashley72 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:20 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:I read this one first.. it was at the top when I came in :wink:

It's abundantly clear that you know all these theories and perspectives Ash, I was wondering what you do with them, how they present in your life, how you move in the world relating to others and life with this knowledge, how does it look, feel, sound, taste, for you. What joys does it bring? (apart from typing it here :wink: )

I'm very, very attentive.... like my signature says...."The only true and full Attention is attending of attention. Till attention is attentive of itself, it knows no peace at all."

Did you notice the little mouse in the reflection of the pupil? That attentive! :lol:
ashley72

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 am

:wink: Must be my eyesight, I thought it was a kitten. :lol:
smiileyjen101

Postby ZenOfchaos » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 am

Different thoughts same function
ZenOfchaos

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion