The seducive ego

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The seducive ego

Postby Aramir » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Hello everyone.

I have just begun to pratcise the power of now and find it both difficult and easy. Easy because its not hard for me to be in the now allthough it only lasts for a minute or so. The difficult part is that my ego has changed its strategies. I have been dominated be a tormentious mind for decades. It has made my life situation hard and at times insufferable. After I started to practise, my mind has started to be very positiv and happy. My body is twitching when I think about surrendering to the present moment. It feels like I'm possesed by an entity that says : "look at me! You and I can have a great time together. You don't need the present moment, it's boring and not for you. Everything will change now. Just you wait and see."

What's going on? Is the ego really that afraid of dying?
Aramir

Re: The seducive ego

Postby kiki » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 am

The ego will do most anything to remain "in charge". It doesn't quite believe that your life will go on without its guiding influence so it can be quite clever in what it comes up with. So pay attention to the changing strategies it resorts to; once you can recognize them for what they are you can allow them to drop away by no longer engaging with them.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby rideforever » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 am

The ego is not in charge ... I AM in charge !!!

... oh sorry wrong thread :lol:
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Mariposa » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 am

I can't help but post this, I've noticed this for a long time, don't you guys think that the typical stereotype of "The Devil" and "The Angel" that speak to people, standing one on each side of the head, is exactly the ego?? Mostly, the evil one, that is exactly how the ego is described by Eckhart. The funny thing, and sad at the same time, is that religious people, at least the christians I know, strongly believe in The Devil as this scary entity that wants to take your soul and what not, but if you translate it to the Tolle teachings, it's really just funny and harmless, well, only once you are aware of it and it doesn't take you over. It probably IS just as horrible both in the christian religion and the teachings of Eckhart, but the awareness of what it really is, how it behaves, and who we really are, make all the difference. I was not afraid of the Devil even when I was a christian, but beliefs like that made me feel less and less invested in religion, until I finally let it go, but after reading different teachings I couldn't help but start to see the connections, fill in the gaps, and see the Devil as exactly what the ego really is. I mean, the way you put it...

"look at me! You and I can have a great time together. You don't need the present moment, it's boring and not for you. Everything will change now. Just you wait and see."

Haha, it really sounds like a fictional character from a movie, a little demon standing on your shoulder.

:)
Mariposa

Postby tod » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Mariposa wrote:
"look at me! You and I can have a great time together. You don't need the present moment, it's boring and not for you. Everything will change now. Just you wait and see."

Haha, it really sounds like a fictional character from a movie, a little demon standing on your shoulder.

And it's even claiming to have a shoulder.

tod

Postby jimmyrich » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am

I have pretty much given up blaming and accusing SCAPE GOATS, like the Devil and the Ego for my own behavior and thinking/beliefs, etc. In therapy, I was taught to take responsibility for my own actions and thoughts and believe that applies to ET's teachings as well. There are times when I BECOME an ego and times when I BECOME my real self but it's always me - and not some menacing, mischievous entity that is called the Devil or the Ego! These days, I see myself behaving as either my Real Self or my little egoic self (mostly the later) but IT'S ALL ME! I believe turning to SCAPE GOATS to explain or excuse our behavior is extremely destructive and WRONG! It's the epitome of DENIAL & DELUSION, IMO. :D
jimmyrich

Postby RCharles » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 am

Having been a fundamentalist and now an "enlightened" Christian, I share your belief, Mariposa, that the Devil is just a mythical projection of our own darkness onto an external entity. Even the ego, when it's made to be a personification of evil control, is just a projection. I don't look to blame anything anymore. If my behavior is unpleasant and makes me or others suffer, I just let the behavior go and return to practicing presence, which for me is the attempt to constantly commune with God through breath and mantra. No blaming, pointing, analyzing. Just change thoughts and move on. :-)

Chuck
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion