Who Am I? Inquiry

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Who Am I? Inquiry

Postby rachMiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Been doin' a lot of Who Am I? inquiring, as part of my Vedanta studies.

Woah: very powerful.

It's like an endless nesting of Russian dolls, with that elusive Prime Doll always just out of reach ... :-)

And it's down the rabbit hole we go, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: Who Am I? Inquiry

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:42 pm

'What' am I adds an interesting context to such inquiry as well. It takes the identification out in favor of essence.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Yes! I found the same thing, WW. Who Am I? doesn't go very far for me, because "who" doesn't compute anymore (after so many years of dismantling the self). "What" works much better. Best is something like:

What is the ultimate essence of ... this body, mind, thought, feeling, emotion, etc.?

Then all sorts of juicy questions come up: Is there an ultimate, is there an essence, can an ultimate essence change, and so on, Russian dolls unfolding. :-)
rachMiel

Postby karmarider » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi rachmiel,

My experience with this is it's much clearer and easier to look at you, what it feels like to be you. To move attention so that you get a direct experience of you.

The word "inquiry" may be a little misleading. I think the word Ramana used was "Vichara" which means many different things. In the Indian languages I am familiar with, it can mean various things, including thinking, worrying, looking, investigating, inquiring, cogitating and so forth. So I think the word "looking" may be more appropriate than "inquiry", as there is no need to analyze, inquire, discriminate, or concentrate.

Perhaps Nisargadatta was closer by saying "hold on to the sense of I am", but I found that it is not about holding on. It's an easy sort of looking. And the "sense of I AM" may be a little more abstract than to say to get the "direct experience of you."

Also, in my experience, nothing much happens during the looking itself. Perhaps it can bring about a sense of calm. It can also evoke memories of times in the past when you have intuitively looked before, and you realize that the direct experience of you is the same now as it was five minutes ago and decades ago. It's always the same.

I did the looking for about three months, and then the urge to look went away, and it was then that I begin to have some confirmation that something was happening. Things in the mind unravel, and for a while, it was not at all pleasant. So you may not see any confirmation or results of the looking during the looking.
karmarider

Postby rob_cork_ireland » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:40 pm

rachMiel wrote:Been doin' a lot of Who Am I? inquiring, as part of my Vedanta studies.

Woah: very powerful.

It's like an endless nesting of Russian dolls, with that elusive Prime Doll always just out of reach ... :-)

And it's down the rabbit hole we go, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!

I am what I am but nothing on the level of form can define me. A person said to me once that it was their job and achievements that made them who they are. This person was a Software Developer. I replied to him does that mean that someone that got the same grade as you in college and now is a software developer is also the same person that you are? Does that make you one in the same person? Even if this person is in a different company to you and you both by chance swap companies and positions, are you now the person that they were? Life situations don't define who you are. You are the same person you were the day you were born which is also the same person you will be the day you die and every day in between. Everything else is temporary.
rob_cork_ireland

Postby psirotta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Who was I before my parents gave me a name? That's who I am now.
psirotta

Postby rideforever » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 pm

There is something beyond the endless Russian dolls.

It is not that at the end you find the Last Doll - that doesn't happen. Realise that this endless chain in endless. Look differently.

You must try to look in a different way ... find something within your consciousness that does not refer to past and future. It is there ... but you must try to RECOGNISE it.

In the Mahamudra tradition they advise to wait until all phenomena (thoughts emotions ...) die down ... and then look again ... don't keep going down the rabbit hole .... it's not like that ... just re-understand what is happening.

It is very close, it is just here but it is so subtle that you must recognise it. It is like the slightest shimmer ... look very closely in your inner state.

What is happening as I sit ? What is this occurrence ?

Anadi has a guided meditation to put you right into the "I Am" so that you can abide, he calls it the "State of Presence" here :

http://www.anaditeaching.com/rec/0808/The%20Essence%20of%20Consciousness.mp3
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby jimmyrich » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:26 am

this man might help you or anyone get to the REALITY behind that question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_iJTt6TR0

:)
jimmyrich

Postby rachMiel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Enjoyed this. Thanks for the link. :-) The crux of it for me:

Making the self into an object and studying it ... doesn't bring you closer to an understanding/being of self, because self is pure subjectivity.
rachMiel

Postby rideforever » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Catching each Russian doll is a game ... and it does train the mind somewhat.

But you must realise that this is not a game. There is something very specific that you are meant to find. Now. Don't play, find.

If you are gentle and patient, calm and alert, and you pull back your energy of awareness, you can find the presence that is consciousness itself. Rest within it. BE it. You will know when you are there because the lights go on.

Once you find it surrender into it, abide into it, until it is permanent and you never leave it.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby rachMiel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Nice, ride. :-) Thanks.
rachMiel

Postby karmarider » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:46 am

Wow, well, my experience is very different.

It's not russian dolls, there are no levels, it's not about finding, it's not elusive, it's not awareness, it's not consciousness.

It's just you. It can't possibly be more ordinary.

Look at you, the feel of you, the everyday experience of you.
karmarider

Postby rachMiel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:44 am

Ten Thousand Paths. :-)
rachMiel

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 am

rachMiel wrote:Ten Thousand Paths. :-)

Maybe 7 billion - and counting.

WW
Webwanderer