Dealing with the pain body

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Dealing with the pain body

Postby magicbutterfly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I've been wondering how often people deal with their pain body by dulling their senses through the use of anti-depressants, tranquilizers, alcohol or other drugs rather than going through the pain. In my limited experience, I see quite a few people on some sort of drug when life hits them in the gut. Obviously, this doesn't help with transmutation of pain into consciousness.
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Re: Dealing with the pain body

Postby psirotta » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Most people don't recognize emotions and Pain Body as a source of personal suffering, and even if they do, they don't know about transmutation of pain and suffering through Presence. They just want the pain to go away as quickly as possible. That's perfectly natural. Who want's to feel pain? Drugs and other cover-ups provide that instant relief, but they lower consciousness and delay the awakening process, as you say.

Of course, you can try to explain all this to someone in the throes of pain body, but I recommend you do so only if heavily armed!

I lived that way for decades myself. Eventually I reached a point of suffering where nothing relieved it, and suicide seemed the only out. That's when I was presented with this teaching by a friend. I can't speak for everyone, but for me I had to reach that point of total despair before I became open to the radical ideas of Eckhart's teaching. Those of us who have found this teaching and put it into practice are indeed blessed to have found another way.
psirotta

Postby magicbutterfly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I also tried nearly everything to deal with pain. I even moved half way around the world to get away from the source, but it was within me and I attracted the same kind of situation. Many years passed before I found ET and the Power of Now, so when the pain body hit me again in a big way (it was the same kind of a situation just 12,000 miles away), I decided that I would try observing the pain instead of running away or dulling it. It worked immediately. I was so amazed. And I also got a huge rush of energy as a result. So now I know that when I feel tired and depressed, it means there is a fear somewhere that I am not acknowledging and facing.
The strange thing is that I knew another way of observing the pain body already years ago (by imagining it as a ball of fire) but never applied it to myself. Sometimes the student is not ready for the lesson... So yes, it took a lot of pain before I said, "I will not make any more pain for myself". And now, whenever I feel it coming on, I just notice it and say to myself, "oh, here it is again, the pain body," and it disappears.
And rather than try to teach others about the Power of Now, (most people resist advice when they're in pain), I try to remember to give them space to be.
I now need to watch out for the ego coming through the back door telling me that I have it all figured out!
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby azooo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:32 pm

I think its quite rare to meet people that are actually aware they are in pain. Avoidance/denial of pain is so automatic and "normal" that the underlying pain is quickly overseen by the reaction brought up to cover it.
azooo

Postby rideforever » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes, and everybody around you is encouraging you to hide the pain as well. Totally reinforcement of untruth.

I was at a friend's place the other day telling him about some difficulties I am having, and he began saying : "Oh well, there is always [this] to look forward to"

You see, that seems so kind of him to say, but actually it is moving away from this moment ... this pain, this experience. I don't want to - moving away creates more pain.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby magicbutterfly » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:52 pm

azooo wrote:I think its quite rare to meet people that are actually aware they are in pain. Avoidance/denial of pain is so automatic and "normal" that the underlying pain is quickly overseen by the reaction brought up to cover it.

How true. More likely they'll admit to anger, frustration, or sadness and blame the other for it. If only they would change! And out comes the chocolate cake or the vodka. Or the sudden desire to get away, to move! I still think that I need to travel, or to move to feel happy. Perhaps that's when I'm more often in the now - everything is new and I pay attention to here and now.
magicbutterfly

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion