Spiritual tattoos, are they really spiritual?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Spiritual tattoos, are they really spiritual?

Postby EckhartMastery » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:16 am

I've lately been considering getting some tattoos that represent the key's to spiritual dimension. They are as following

- Eckharts 'Pause symbol' on my right calf muscle
- An excerpt from PON/ANE going down my right rib cage
- Flower of life on my left rib cage
- Om symbol on my right pectoral

Because I am 20 years old my dad said, "Tattoos are permanent, personalities and beliefs aren't", I said "yes correct, but the true nature of reality is".

Are tattoos some kind of identification?
I feel like I want them as they are constant reminders on my true nature, If they are starring at me, I can never forget. I feel as though I am doing this because each tattoo is an anchor for certain information, plus I think it would look great. And why not decorate the physical body that I inhabit?
Notice they are all in places that a simple shirt and pants can cover, I'm not getting them so I can flaunt them, It's purely for my own benefit.

Let me know what you think beloveds.

Namaste, Scott
EckhartMastery

Re: Spiritual tattoos, are they really spiritual?

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:15 pm

EckhartMastery wrote:Are tattoos some kind of identification?

They can be. I have adopted symbols of awakening throughout my life to remind me of what matters. With each one I thought it would be a lasting symbol of life. Somehow each one got replaced by another symbol in another time as my conscious perspective continued to evolve. I have one such tattoo from early on. I virtually never think about it anymore and it means next to nothing to me. I am always glad I did not get more.

Give yourself a year or two and see if your interest in a specific symbol lasts. You can always get a tat. Changing it is not so easy.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Onceler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 pm

From a coolness factor.....go for it! Will it aid or hinder your spiritual devopment? Probably not. Find the essence of yourself and ask if it wants/needs a tattoo.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby EckhartMastery » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 am

Yes, thank you both.

I think identification can occur, when you are trying to change your self image for example. From a place of non acceptance of what is (physcial body) getting a tattoo can only create more identification.

You mentioned how our beliefs always change. When we're present we can see the life energy within everything, and we know that when we are experiencing our true self that is made up of 100% of that life energy.
I feel as though that every spiritual/philosophical/self help teaching is simply a less dense version of Eckharts teachings, they fill all the holes with just randomly confusing half truths and whole delusions. I believe that all teachings are trying to get as close as they can to the pure truth, but the ego wishes to hide certain facts, so dis identification does not occur.

I'm sure many have experienced this have you not?... Been reading PON, and you think, 'ooohhh that's what he/she was trying to teach!'

P.S I drew my tattoo on with a marker this morning. The pause symbol, on my left arm (the pale side 10 cm down from my wrist) It looks very nice and I would see it all the time which is what I want.

Namaste
EckhartMastery

Postby powerbowler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 am

You are truly blessed to be so spiritualy aware at such a young age , look for the answers within yourself , the small quiet voice within . Webwanderer is right , i had a medalion with my own reminders that i wore round my neck , it seemed so important when i had it engraved , now i forget to put it on in the morning , BUT it did help at the time.
powerbowler

Postby EckhartMastery » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 pm

powerbowler wrote:You are truly blessed to be so spiritualy aware at such a young age , look for the answers within yourself , the small quiet voice within . Webwanderer is right , i had a medalion with my own reminders that i wore round my neck , it seemed so important when i had it engraved , now i forget to put it on in the morning , BUT it did help at the time.

Thank you, I appreciate that, I sometimes forget to give myself credit for how far I've come so quickly.
Could I invite you to have a read of my other post? (The one about mastery). I'm writing a book that I know the world needs.

P.S. I'm might be getting my tattoo tomorrow, I might post up some photos.

Namaste
EckhartMastery

Postby magicbutterfly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Why not keep the ones you drew with the pen for a specified period of time (let's say 6 months) and then reassess. What's the rush? Meanwhile, talk to other people who are older that you respect and who have tattoos. In my opinion tattoos are the product of the ego. Of wanting to keep the present moment forever. Life is change and letting go. Perhaps we need to let go of even gurus, spiritual teachers, idols and symbols.
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby rideforever » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:18 am

EckhartMastery wrote:plus I think it would look great. And why not decorate the physical body that I inhabit?

Ah, buried in the small print is the real reason : vanity.

Why is it hidden at the bottom : dishonesty and lack of self-understanding.

In this era having a tattoo is just a mark of disconnection from your body.

It's a lot like that fashion where kids have their jeans half way down their legs with their butt hanging out. It is the first disabled fashion. You can't even walk properly like that. But that's not a problem for someone who doesn't know what his legs are for. And why should he, you can't see your legs from behind your mobile phone. If you had them amputated it wouldn't make a difference; you can still download an app.

Yes this is the era where young people spend hours cutting each others heads off on their video games. And the 'adults' call it progress and technology.

It's all a disaster and an intelligent person would be correct in distancing himself from any of it.

[ of course people who have begun destroying themselves will only encourage you to destroy yourself ... it's just the same with alcoholics ]
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion