The Ego wants to be the Mountain

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The Ego wants to be the Mountain

Postby ashley72 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:19 am

A good analogy that Eckhart Tolle uses, in describing the Ego, is of wanting to be a mountain.... as opposed to not wanting to be a valley.

Tolle then suggests next time you're in a situation, where you might feel an urge to assert your knowledge or opinion about something. Try and be present (attend) to the momentum behind that urge to assert that knowledge.... it can take a lot of presence to hold back from asserting.... because the moment you let it go....and stop asserting the I.... there is an instant of feeling diminished like a valley. However, if you do let it go and descend to the valley....there is a deeping where you begin to sense your essence identity and the outer form identity drops away.

ashley72

Re: The Ego wants to be the Mountain

Postby treasuretheday » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Love it! Haven't seen that quote from ET about the mountain/valley, but it's so wonderful. Love the plaque's message too!
Ha, I'm asserting my opinion...my affinity for the mountain dimension of my nature persists. :lol: I believe my inner mountain will always be. But there is awareness of it....& appreciation of the humble beauty & true power that lies in the valley.
ashley72 wrote:descend to the valley....there is a deeping where you begin to sense your essence
Indeed.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Re: The Ego wants to be the Mountain

Postby ashley72 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 am

treasuretheday wrote:Love it! Haven't seen that quote from ET about the mountain/valley, but it's so wonderful. Love the plaque's message too!
Ha, I'm asserting my opinion...my affinity for the mountain dimension of my nature persists. :lol: I believe my inner mountain will always be. But there is awareness of it....& appreciation of the humble beauty & true power that lies in the valley.
ashley72 wrote:descend to the valley....there is a deeping where you begin to sense your essence
Indeed.

Treasureday,

I'm happy that people are enjoying the posts. I'm enjoying the replies. :D
ashley72

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion