Painbody Q&A

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Painbody Q&A

Postby Luka » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello, I'm new here and english is not my native language so I suck at it :/. I could not find a thread about the things that interest me about the painbody so I open a new one. Sorry if i'm trashing the forum and one allready exsists. Let's get to the point.

I think i have a quiet strong painbody which activates itself each week or so. I don't know what feelings I feel but it's like a mix of fear and sadnes, sometimes anger.

So I observe this feelings and try to stay present and i think i'm quiet succseding at it but the pain duration is so loooooong :( it can last for the whole day and the intesenty is different each time to. Sometimes is it verry strong sometimes it is weak. Is this a normal thing that it last so long? It is verry unpleasant to feel this. I had a experienc where once I observet the emotional pain and started to shake and the pain was verry intense but afther that I feelt verry still and peacfull. Is this normal to be so? I'm doing this practice for month or so. Before that I was identified with the painbody for whole my life :/
Luka

Re: Painbody Q&A

Postby rideforever » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm

My experience is that if you are able to observe the painbody with intensity and directly, then the duration is much shorter and that you have this emotional shaking which is the discharge of energy within the painbody and a good sign.

But because there are other responsibilities you can't always do this.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Luka » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 pm

yeah when i'm alone and at home I can do that but at school or somewhere it's not quiet possible :/ I cry a lot latley and it's strange it's not a cry beacuse im sad. When i start to feel this negativ feelings and observe them i just start to cry and it feels verry good...
Luka

Postby rideforever » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm

that's good, you are coming home
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby theslymoose » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 pm

The experience of feeling the pain body fully and then feeling very peaceful afterwards happened to me once, Only I had a huge headache. I was a little dissapointed that it didn't stay that way (without the headache), but have really started to see that following this stuff is a process that takes time.
theslymoose

Postby humphrey » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm looking for a basic definition of the painbody. I've read and listened to some of ET's books. The painbody concept is not something I've run across in other literature.

On the one hand it seems like he's actually describing an entity. But on the other hand, it doesn't seem like this sort of entity is any more 'real' than the body typing these keys right now.

The way I'm making sense of it right now is that it is an image for describing how one aspect of the mind works. If there is sufficient traumatic conditioning, it's like a rut is formed, and experiences will 'fall into' that rut if experienced unconsciously, thereby reinforcing the ruttiness of the rut. If experiences are experienced consciously, the 'falling into' can be noticed -- the way nuances and particularities of that experience are forced into the rut or discarded.

In A New Earth he describes an experience where someone he was helping came to terms with their own pain body. Their pain body then went with him to a cafe and latched on to someone else (or vice versa). Am I reading that wrong? That's pretty exotic stuff. To me, I would explain this as some sort of projection. Maybe ET was scowling or something at the cafe, unconsciously processing what happened and this contributed to an environment at the cafe whereby another patron could blow their lid. IOW, it seems like tying that patrons actions to a previous pain body may be a stretch.

But I am finding the concept useful in a more general sense. Like how my wife and I relate sometimes. Our past traumas get triggered by an unconscious opportunism to see what the other says as being threatening or diminishing in some way. Often these 'opportunities' are based on misunderstandings and/or distortions.
humphrey

Postby kiki » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 pm

humphrey, I think you have a pretty good take on what the painbody is, including your conclusion about how someone's painbody can attach to another's as ET suggests in A New Earth. I thought it was a bit of stretch as well. Take what's useful for you and disregard what isn't. The basic thing to remember is that conflicts arise between people when their mentally created painbodies are trying to protect themselves from perceived threats. It could be that people unconsciously tune into another's painbody and feel threatened somehow.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Luka » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 pm

The strangest thing happened to me. I'm getting better and better with practining presence, i'm able to watch my thoughts and feelings and the fear is getting weaker and weaker. My emotions of fear, despeair don't last for days as they used to. Today after being present while driving car i set in front of my computer and i felt this strange peace and it was all quiet in my head it was strange...i felt it for the verry first time. I't was so unformiliar for me that my mind startet immidiatly make problems out of it. What if i'm going mad, what if i will have a nervous brake down and so on and on and on did the thinker say. I had a panic atack after that and the peace was gone. My mind didn't want to feel this peace it wanted to have problems and insecuritys and so on. Is this ego detechmant or something like this? I'm confused. Am i on the right track?
Luka

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:15 am

Today after being present while driving car i set in front of my computer and i felt this strange peace and it was all quiet in my head it was strange...i felt it for the verry first time. I't was so unformiliar for me that my mind startet immidiatly make problems out of it. What if i'm going mad, what if i will have a nervous brake down and so on and on and on did the thinker say. I had a panic atack after that and the peace was gone. My mind didn't want to feel this peace it wanted to have problems and insecuritys and so on. Is this ego detechmant or something like this? I'm confused. Am i on the right track?

Luka, trust the peace. If fact look for that silence and the clarity of being that exists within it. That clarity is the conduit, and field of awareness, from where you true nature flows. Cultivate it. Allow it to become more and more familiar. It is more representative of who you are than all the thought you've ever thought in your entire life. Thoughts will come and go, but this clarity of awareness is forever available. It is always with you. It is you. Rely on it. Trust it. Have confidence that it will guide you in understanding whatever thoughts flow through your mind.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:23 am

Humphrey said: If there is sufficient traumatic conditioning, it's like a rut is formed, and experiences will 'fall into' that rut if experienced unconsciously, thereby reinforcing the ruttiness of the rut. If experiences are experienced consciously, the 'falling into' can be noticed -- the way nuances and particularities of that experience are forced into the rut or discarded.

In A New Earth he describes an experience where someone he was helping came to terms with their own pain body. Their pain body then went with him to a cafe and latched on to someone else (or vice versa). Am I reading that wrong? That's pretty exotic stuff. To me, I would explain this as some sort of projection. Maybe ET was scowling or something at the cafe, unconsciously processing what happened and this contributed to an environment at the cafe whereby another patron could blow their lid. IOW, it seems like tying that patrons actions to a previous pain body may be a stretch.

Kiki said: humphrey, I think you have a pretty good take on what the painbody is, including your conclusion about how someone's painbody can attach to another's as ET suggests in A New Earth. I thought it was a bit of stretch as well. Take what's useful for you and disregard what isn't.

I agree with 'take what's useful for you', and I'm a little curious that you found it a 'stretch' Kiki.

For me, the energies in motion, in play, kind of atmospherically are palpable, and are with awareness somewhat translatable (we only recognise what we recognise and interpretations may be flawed).

In degrees of empathy, if one is unaware that the 'energy' is not of one's own creation or experience, one can misinterpret the energy and take it into oneself and conclude a 'personal' reasoning for it, and reaction to it - along the lines of the 'rut', which resonates at the familiar level of energy. A typical illustration of this is one person comes into a group with active emotive energies and it bleeds into the crevices of others at like resonance. One person can walk into a group feeling fine/crap and in a few moments feel crap/fine. In a way we are sponge-like.

Emotive energies are infectious by their resonance 'frequency'.

Understanding empathy maturely, is both
The ability to understand and share the feelings of another
+
The recognition that the feelings / energies are not 'ours'.

Similarly as discussed by ET pain body responses can be reacting to what is not NOW in recognition of the energies unfolding and being re-cognised as if some experience of the past. (I know that came out jumbled, sorry folks.)
Our past traumas get triggered by an unconscious opportunism to see what the other says as being threatening or diminishing in some way. Often these 'opportunities' are based on misunderstandings and/or distortions.

Unconscious receptive empathy can mean that we share the feelings / energy of an other/s and instead of recognising that they are not 'ours' falling into the learned pattern of reaction to them... the 'rut', so to speak. For me this is the ET speak of pain body meeting pain body, a double unconsciousness if you like.

There are 'positives' in recognising these things though, spoken about in topics like The Energy of Geographic Locations viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11612
and
(a tome of sharing perspectives) in Being Human viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10594

that's good, you are coming home

:D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion