Self-love - yes or no?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Self-love - yes or no?

Postby EckerTolle » Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi Ecker Tolle fans,

I've been reading a lot of books in recent years that recommend self-love as the most important way to your bliss.

But Eckhart Tolle say's you should just _be_ yourself. I have had a lot more success with the former: loving myself. Filling myself up until I become a magnet.

So how do you go about this split?
EckerTolle

Re: Self-love - yes or no?

Postby Webwanderer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Love yourself.

Be yourself.

Love what you're being.

No real split.
Webwanderer

Postby EckerTolle » Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Ok, good answer.

It just confuses me that he says you should give up the relationship with yourself and every other relationship will be a loving one.
EckerTolle

Postby rideforever » Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Interesting question.

My sense of it is ... which "you" are you loving ? Which "you" are you filling ?

If you love the "image-of-you", then you are loving a structure made from the outside, made by society, culture, your expectations, fears etc...

If you love the "deep-inside-you", then you are in the real. And then this question disappears because self-love becomes self-being, becomes being.

It might not be clear how to separate "image-of-you" with "deep-inside-you". And you can try to sift one from the other through a more surrendered feeling, or a more heart feeling.

If your excitement comes from the heart, then follow it back down to the real inner you.

When you fill yourself up, make sure you are not filling up the "image-of-you" ... because then you reinforce the image of you.

Check from time to time that you are not in the "image-of-you" made by other people's expectations.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby treasuretheday » Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm using different language here, but, at some point in our lives, we must all come to the experience of that Presence which Jesus called the Father within. All the Father has is embodied within us. Tolle is (I believe) speaking of living from this Source of love within. In such a state of consciousness, we needn't look for love outside ourselves. Why grasp or seek? There is nothing to be gained or won. All that God is, we are. All that the Father has, is ours. Love is pouring through us from our Source, (whatever one chooses to call it!).

Yes, I believe that Tolle suggests we "give up" the relationship with the "little me" which can only know lack and grasping, in favor of this realization, this conviction, that a never-failing, never-ending Source of love springs from within. So cherish, love and honor this spiritual center that is within you and every person. This is such Grace. We can do nothing, think nothing, be nothing, of ourselves! But no one is ever lost who practices the spiritual way of life.

A teaching on such a high level of consiousness can never be understood by the reasoning mind. How many of us understand the mystery of such teachings, fully embrace such revelations as: "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee, " or "I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." How many of us know that the I is literally in the midst of us?

You can't get to truth through the reasoning process. Which is another way of saying you can't perceive truth as an object. You can be the truth, but you can't know the truth. Truth and love are the same. You can't know love. You can only be love.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby Webwanderer » Wed May 22, 2013 8:37 pm

EckerTolle wrote:Ok, good answer.

It just confuses me that he says you should give up the relationship with yourself and every other relationship will be a loving one.

Tolle is likely making a point about an egoic, me first, relationship with yourself. If you are having a relationship with self, who is it that is relating to what? The point is to live consciously in the present moment without such imaginary self interaction. You are consciousness being. Relating to thought constructs or thought identity only distracts you from real clarity of presence, from a clear unfettered experience of what is at hand.

Use Tolle, or any other source, to the degree that it inspires you to greater clarity and understanding. In the end it's all about what works for you. Explore how pointers feel. Feeling is a kind of logic that transcends the intellect. If a teaching 'feels' right then live it. If it doesn't, or it's unclear, set it aside. Some truths make better 'sense' as you build a foundation of understanding. Others feel right in the moment but later are superseded as consciousness expands and grows.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby heidi » Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 am

Accept everything that arrises without judgment, like Byron Katie says, Love What Is. So, of course you'll love what is happening with you, hence You. :-)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby ashley72 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:08 am

heidi wrote:Accept everything that arrises without judgment, like Byron Katie says, Love What Is. So, of course you'll love what is happening with you, hence You. :-)

Ditto. Utter acceptance is the key to inner peace. :wink:
ashley72

Postby SandyJoy » Thu May 23, 2013 3:15 am

A great question!

And what a glorious bounty of beautiful answers!! :D That is lovely!

Applause, clapping, yays ; Take a bow! Everyone of you !
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby treasuretheday » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Awww...SandyJoy! Your affirmation and warm embrace of diversity is lovely...& a joy to behold. You never fail to see and delight in the divine common thread that runs through the vast range of experiences.

The mystery of Grace meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us. You in a word, SandyJoy, are a grace!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion