I feel like I'm flying away.

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

I feel like I'm flying away.

Postby EckerTolle » Fri May 24, 2013 2:38 am

Hi Eckhart Tolle fans,

for the last 2-3 years I have had a problem that I call take-off-syndrome. It happens almost whenever I go outside. I feel like something is launching me in the air with great momentum. It feels like a slingshot. It seems to pull me into the sky. Really weird.

It's hard to describe and it scares me to death, because I don't know where or what body part it comes from. When I am in a house or in a car it's diminished, but it is also there some times. Especially in a car.

It leads to me always having to carry a backpack with me, as an extra weight to keep me on the ground.

The reason I post it in this forum is, that I was practicing inner body awareness heavily at that time in my life, 2-3 years ago. So I might have overdone some of the exercises and messed up my body in the meantime.

It greatly impaires my functioning in this world, I can't go shopping or working. Most people simply tell me that I'm not gonna fly away. But this belief doesn't serve me anymore. I fear the fear and the sensation itself and the unknown. Have I done something bad to someone?

Btw, I also take psych meds for schizophrenia.

Can anybody help me to overcome this?
EckerTolle

Re: I feel like I'm flying away.

Postby randomguy » Fri May 24, 2013 5:56 am

I wouldn't like that extra weight of the backpack either. If it were me, I might want to find out for sure if this sensation is worthy of holding me hostage by fear. I don't know the sensation myself, but I imagine I might try using some of the climbing gear I have in the house. What I might consider is putting on my climbing harness, anchor a rope to my stairway banister and clip in. Then I might just go stand outside. If I flew up into the sky, then I know I could pull myself back with the rope. If I got the sensation and didn't fly up into the sky then I'd look down at my feet to see if they are still on the ground. I'd probably do this quite a bit, as often as I needed to feel confident that the sensation is just a sensation in the body and not something that would actually take me away. Then I might try it maybe with just holding the rope in my hand, then maybe with no rope. That's how I might make friends with the sensation so to speak and make friends with the fear of it, to see that they don't really do any real harm, to see if first hand and know for sure. Like you said, believing what people say that you won't fly away only goes so far. Just an idea how I might approach it.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby rideforever » Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am

Why don't you just lie down on the lawn ... and then if you start flying, enjoy the trip.

You fears and backpack are distractions that prevent you from experiencing whatever the flying feeling is. And therefore it will continue.

If you want it to stop you have to accept it as part of yourself.

Just lie down and then let it fly you ... and see what happens. See what it means.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby karmarider » Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 am

I would really like to experience the feeling of flying away!

Dude, this is not from any awareness exercises you have done. The spiritual advice you're getting may be good--yeah, sure, try to be with the feeling if you're comfortable with that.

But, really, talk this over with a competent psychiatrist or therapist.
karmarider

Postby EckerTolle » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:42 pm

karmarider wrote:I would really like to experience the feeling of flying away!

Dude, this is not from any awareness exercises you have done. The spiritual advice you're getting may be good--yeah, sure, try to be with the feeling if you're comfortable with that.

But, really, talk this over with a competent psychiatrist or therapist.

The reason i linked it to body awareness practices was that at that time I was trying to flood my body with conciousness up and down, and this movement is kind of like the feeling that I get when I'm flying away.

I talked to therapists and most of them don't know what it is. It got better though from the time I wrote this topic. I am definitely a fan of the idea of becoming friendly with the feeling. Good approach.
EckerTolle

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion