Life is to be lived.....

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Life is to be lived.....

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Life is to be lived, not controlled; Similarly..... Life is to be experienced, not controlled;

I think this an idea worth spreading. What do others think?
ashley72

Re: Life is to be lived.....

Postby Onceler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 pm

ashley72 wrote:Life is to be lived, not controlled; Similarly..... Life is to be experienced, not controlled;

I think this an idea worth spreading. What do others think?

Absolutely! Just hang on for the ride and give it our full attention.....especially the positive aspects!

Just read this article this morning and while it is not directly related, it is how I want to live my life.....more often.

http://nyti.ms/14DN0yv
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm

ashley72 wrote:Life is to be lived, not controlled; Similarly..... Life is to be experienced, not controlled;

Nice.

With one caveat. This can quite easily turn into passivity: Watch, don't perturb! Which imo reinforces a sense of self as a separate entity, not of the whole.

Life is a participatory experience. We are in it, not on the sidelines, passively observing. We ARE it. So I say: Dance with life, rather than just watching the dance.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby treasuretheday » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Yes! Life is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery unfolding. (And invites our participation and creativity!).

Onceler, I've never seen a commencement address that even mentioned kindness, much less emphasized its beauty and impact! Err on the side of kindess. Love that! Thanks for the link.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby Onceler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm

rachMiel wrote:

Nice.

With one caveat. This can quite easily turn into passivity: Watch, don't perturb! Which imo reinforces a sense of self as a separate entity, not of the whole.

Life is a participatory experience. We are in it, not on the sidelines, passively observing. We ARE it. So I say: Dance with life, rather than just watching the dance.

I believe what you are saying is 'awakening'. Living so fluidly, seamlessly that acceptance and action are intuitive and second nature.

Non action is action, no?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Onceler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:42 pm

treasuretheday wrote:Yes! Life is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery unfolding. (And invites our participation and creativity!).

Onceler, I've never seen a commencement address that even mentioned kindness, much less emphasized its beauty and impact! Err on the side of kindess. Love that! Thanks for the link.

I know, you're welcome! I was quite touched when I read this and felt it distilled much of our spiritual mutterings into a pithy, doable goal....be kind!

I realized that I really need to be kinder!
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Onceler wrote:
rachMiel wrote:

Nice.

I believe what you are saying is 'awakening'. Living so fluidly, seamlessly that acceptance and action are intuitive and second nature.

Non action is action, no?

Yes! :-)

Personally I stay away from saying/thinking "awakening" ... on account of how easily it can become a seductive fairy tale: I am (a separate spiritually advanced entity that is) awakening.
rachMiel

Postby Fore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:54 pm

rachMiel wrote:Personally I stay away from saying/thinking "awakening" ... on account of how easily it can become a seductive fairy tale: I am (a separate spiritually advanced entity that is) awakening.

Beautifully put. :)

rachMiel,

Could you go into detail a bit more about non-action being action?

Onceler wrote: Absolutely! Just hang on for the ride and give it our full attention.....especially the positive aspects!

I get where you are coming from with this, but if the "positive aspects" of life are not seen as ultimately impermanent and unsatisfactory and not self, when they pass away and are replaced with neutral or unpleasant aspects will we have the ability to simply be with them or would we go looking(craving) for more positivity(pleasantness). Ultimately playing games with sense pleasures?
Fore

Postby rachMiel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Fore wrote:
rachMiel wrote:Personally I stay away from saying/thinking "awakening" ... on account of how easily it can become a seductive fairy tale: I am (a separate spiritually advanced entity that is) awakening.

rachMiel,

Thanks for the kind words, Fore. :-)

Onceler mentioned non-action being action, so I'll defer to his/her response on that.

I agree with your reservations about giving more energy to the "positive aspects" of life. This creates division into positive/negative ... and there you are, back on the merry go 'round!
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:11 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Fore wrote:

rachMiel,

Thanks for the kind words, Fore. :-)

Onceler mentioned non-action being action, so I'll defer to his/her response on that.

I agree with your reservations about giving more energy to the "positive aspects" of life. This creates division into positive/negative ... and there you are, back on the merry go 'round!

Honestly, and no criticism intended, the time spent responding to this is not in the spirit of the thread. The answer is all around us.....
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Fore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Fair enough :)
Fore

Postby runstrails » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:53 pm

What a great thread! Thanks for starting, Ash and thanks for contributing everyone.

rachMiel wrote:
Dance with life, rather than just watching the dance.

Here's my take: Ultimately, one steps out of witness mode. Then there is only the dance. And any 'you' (small self) that might surface from time to time, is being danced! As you say, its just a matter of perspective.

Onceler--I loved the NYT post. What a terrific speech. Thanks for sharing.

IN the spirit of sharing--I found this little story in my email. It's hokey--but hit the spot for me!
The Mayonnaise Jar

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day is not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and two cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.
When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and fills it with golf balls.

He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured it into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous “YES”.

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

“Now,” said the professor, as the laughter subsided, “I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things - God, family,
children, health, friends, and favorite passions. Things, that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house, and car. The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.” he said.

“If you put the sand into the jar first,” he continued, “There is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are
important to you...” he told them.

“So... pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Worship with your family. Play with your children. Take your partner out to dinner. Spend time with good friends. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap. Take care of the golf balls first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.

The professor smiled and said, “I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.”

Please share this with other "Golf Balls"
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Very cute story, rt. :-) And timely, seeing as how the PGA Championship is being played here this week just around the corner from where I live. (I've got a ticket for the final day!)

Love the coffee punchline. ;-)
rachMiel

Postby Fore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Here is another hokey poem in spirit, you can take your own moral from it.
For me its don't get to attached to your balls! :)

In my hand I hold a ball,
White and dimpled and rather small
Oh, how bland it does appear.
This harmless looking little sphere.

By its size I could not guess
The awesome strength it does possess;
but since I fell beneath its spell
I've wandered through the fires of hell.

My life has not been quite the same
Since I chose to play this game.
It rules my mind for hours on end.
A fortune it has made me spend.

It has made me curse and cry.
I hate myself I want to die.
It promises a thing called "par"
If I can hit it straight and far.

To master such a tiny ball
Should not be very hard at all
But my desires the ball refuses
And does exactly as it chooses

It hooks and slices, dribbles, dies,
Or disappears before my eyes.
Often it will have a whim
To hit a tree or take a swim.

With miles of grass on which to land
It finds a tiny patch of sand,
Then has me offering up my soul
If it will just drop in the hole.

It's made me whimper like a pup,
And swear that I will give it up
And take a drink to ease my sorrow.
But "The Ball" knows

I'll be back tomorrow!

Just saw your post rachmeil, I'm totally jealous. :mrgreen:
Fore

Postby treasuretheday » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Wow! Have fun, RachMiel!

I used to live in Webster! Loved it there, (except for all that snow!). Desperately miss Wegmans! (Sorry this is So OT!) I currently live on a golf course...the 18th hole! Well, okay, not ON it, but my yard backs up to it. No championships here, but lots of golfers... every day!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion