The Law Of Sensation

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The Law Of Sensation

Postby ashley72 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:58 pm

We have all heard of the Law of Attraction or Secret... which states by merely thinking positively about things we desire... we can make them manifest.

This law fails for one very important reason, we don't always tolerate or accept the sensation that corresponds to every thought we desire. For example I want to be a public speaker. I think positively that I can speak at the next public forum, but in the lead up to the meeting the sensations of stomach churn and nervousness overcome me and I decide not to speak because I am not willing to except the sensations that correspond to that desirable thought. Negative thoughts then arise as a counter thought, such as "I'm not cut out to be a public speaker", these negative thoughts seem to relate more truthfully to the intolerable sensation which comes with public speaker. This then becomes a new truth or belief.

The desirable thought + the external event + the corresponding sensation + the new dominant thought = belief or truth

It other words, having the thoughts alone is not enough for something to manifest... you have to be willing to tolerate the sensation that goes with that desirable thought to manifest a positive outcome.

If in the example about the public speaking.... we now cope with the stomach churn, telling yourself " i can do this". You go to the forum & end up speaking and getting applause. New dominate thoughts will arise as beliefs or truths for overcoming sensations corresponding to public speaking.

The Law:

The thought of what we want may come with uncomfortable sensations

What do others think?
ashley72

Re: The Law Of Sensation

Postby runstrails » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Ashley wrote:

It other words, having the thoughts alone is not enough for something to manifest... you have to be willing to tolerate the sensation that goes with that desirable thought to manifest a positive outcome.

And, most importantly, put in the hard work needed for your particular outcome to manifest :D . There are no free lunches in life, .....illusion or not!
runstrails

Postby ashley72 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Yes of course.

But seriously sensations can hold us back. I've just watched a documentary called Thought Exchange which explains these important insights. It wasn't until I watched the documentary tonight that all these ideas I'd been collecting over the past six years started to crystallise more clearly.

If your have ever been on a diet, you may remember that you reach a point when hunger pains start producing thoughts to make you eat. It's only when you push thru the sensations that those thoughts stop. It is the same with staying up late... If you haven't done it for a while you wont be used to the new sensations of sleep deprivation, and so new thoughts will arise telling you to sleep. If you ignore those thoughts you can push thru a threshold of sensations. Same with running a marathon, you hit the wall at different points and new sensations arise that are unfamiliar, thoughts arise corresponding to the new sensations. Same when you run up hills, some people find it hard to conquer a hill, because they first have a difficult sensation they are not used to... A thought arises saying stop you going to have a heart attack... so you stop and walk the rest of the way.

I can think of endless examples that all relate to overcoming & moving thru new sensations at some new stage of a task.

Sitting home alone by yourself..you start to get new sensations, corresponding thoughts of loneliness also arise... so you decide to meet up with friends to avoid those sensations of sitting home alone.
Last edited by ashley72 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley72

Postby runstrails » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Makes sense, Ashley. But I've found the converse to be true as well.
Since you bring up the example of runnng :D. Sometimes when you are feeling fatigued in a very hard race, then conjuring up mental visions of the finish line or something else that is positive can push you through all those sensations. Mental visualization (i.e., thoughts) can be very useful in hard circumstances. I know that professional (and weekend) athletes use visualization routinely to help them overcome difficult times (and sensations).
runstrails

Postby ashley72 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Yes, but visualisation can throw up both negative or positive visualisation. Which is the mind trying to interpret the new unfamiliar or familar sensations. In fact, that's the point I'm trying to make our mind tries to validate sensations. If it validates them negatively we may find ourselves giving in. If we validate them positively we may find ourselves breaking the course record. It's our response to each sensation which creates our new belief in how we cope with that new task.
ashley72

Postby runstrails » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Yes, I agree.

As an aside: I've never understood the law of attraction. But Ashley's post has allowed me to understand it at least within the framework of a sports analogy. That is, if you put in the hard work (training), then 'positive' mental visualization (when confronted by sensations like fatigue, exhaustion) can really impact performance in sports like running (perhaps cycling, triathalons, swimming etc..). You need to actively practice visualization beforehand and know your goals, but it can work. Not sure if the same is true for team sports (perhaps the whole team practices LoA together :lol:).

But thanks, at least I can understand LOA within one framework. And since I believe that the sports analogy applies to the whole of life, perhaps I'll cogitate on how the LOA analogy might extend to other facets of life too.
runstrails

Re: The Law Of Labelling Sensations

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:49 am

But what I'm talking about isn't the same as the Law of Attraction. However, I need to explain the difference.

The Law of Attraction says all possibilities are out there in the external world, we just need to use positive affirmations to attract the ones we desire into our own life. But if you are like me and have said the positive affirmations you quickly realise it doesn't work.

The reason is the world we see & experience out there, actually arises from our inner philosophy first. It's the inner philosophy of our sensations, thoughts, feelings about our experiences...that dictate how we encounter the external world. If we think and feel we are a failure in the external world, that's because that is what is arising in our inner world. So to make a change in the world out there we need to first change our inner philosophy first.

There are infinite possibilities of seeing & experiencing the external world, we access those infinite possibilies by doing inner work on our inner philosophy. However, there is an bridge between our inner & outer world. That bridge is the physical SENSATIONS we experience. These sensations can prevent us from reaching certain possibilities we might desire, losing weight, finishing the marathon, speaking in public etc. If you're not willing to experience certain sensations fully you won't experience the possibilities they offer.

I'm a recovering agoraphobic, I know first hand how physical sensations can prevent me from experiencing life fully. Agoraphobics avoid public places because of the physical sensations that arise are now perceived as unwanted or undesirable even though the thought corresponding to those unwanted sensations may be desirable. A conflict arises between the unwanted sensation & desirable thought. A new thought called a belief is then adopted for that unwanted sensation which prevents you from experiencing that possibility... Avoidance of that sensation becomes our new external reality... As many external things we encounter correspond to that unwanted sensation. Our external world than appears much narrower, with far less viable possibilities. This happens because the sufferer has a limited spectrum of sensations they are willing to tolerate or accept.

To work with these ideas you need to break down "experiences" into 4 main categories:

1. Thoughts

2. Sensations

3. Beliefs

4. Manifestations

An important aspect of these insights is not to confuse sensations with feelings. A "feeling" is an interpretation of a sensation. The feeling of nervousness is an interpretation of sensation that may arise when you do a particular task like public speaking. However, similar sensations may also arise when you haven't eaten for a few hours, but you might now label this sensation hunger which turns it into the feeling of hunger. In other words, the sensation alone is not enough to create a feeling, a new adopted explanation for that sensation needs to be chosen which becomes the inner truth or belief.

Therefore, its the sensation coupled with (explanation) or most believable thought, lets call it a label for this sensation which dictates how we are feeling.

The MC2 method another practice for overcoming phobias, taught sufferers to re-interpret their sensations with less emotive descriptions or labels. This is because there is a critical step where labelling a sensation creates a feeling or belief... This new belief or truth than dictates our future conditioning and how we experience the external world.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 am

In retrospect, I should have titled this thread... The Law of Labelling Sensations. Because it is this process of labelling our sensations that we crystallise our feelings and create our core beliefs about the external world.

Therefore, its the thoughts which act as the "labels" for sensations which are so critical to our external experience. Inner desires like I want to be able to run faster...is not limiting in anyway. As it is merely a positive affirmation about achieving or experiencing something in life. It's when we a doing the act of running faster, that we encounter sensations that correspond to that desire, as part of the experience we label the sensation as something we like or dislike. If we dislike the sensation we tend to avoid those sensations in the future. Because we adopt a set of truths or explanations for those sensations and call them our feelings.

Someone who doesn't like running, will usually say I don't feel like going for a run. But really what is happening is we've adopted labels called feelings we now associate with sensations that arose during past experiences of running. Sometimes we may even initially start running, but as the unwanted sensations arise during the course of our run, the old labels arise again... with self defeating thoughts like, "I'm not cut out to be a runner." We then stop running and merely re-enforce that core belief that running must not be for me.

However, if we allow ourselves to pass thru the unwanted sensations, new thoughts will arise replacing our old limiting beliefs. In other words, we change our feelings about running! We feel ok about running, and adopt new labels to reinforce those altered core beliefs.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:54 am

The transformation of "sensation" into a "feeling" is govern by a positive feedback loop. Please examine the loop below.

It has the four main elements I've been discussing in this thread. The loop starts out on the right as a "MANIFESTATION" with corresponding "PHYSICAL SENSATIONS" which at the early stage is benign. Its only when we interpret the corresponding sensation, label it, do the Sensations cross over into a "FEELING".... I feel "awful" or I feel "excitement" etc.

As we move around the loop from right to left... we see that our thinking continues to reinforce the feelings we have adopted towards the sensations that correspond to a Manifestation.

MANIFESTATION (NON THREAT) => SENSATIONS => NEGATIVE THOUGHTS => UNDESIRABLE FEELINGS => BELIEF => AVOIDANCE STRATEGY ADOPTED => SENSATIONS => POSITIVE THOUGHTS => DESIRABLE FEELINGS => MANIFESTATION (NOW THREAT) => SENSATIONS => NEGATIVE THOUGHTS => UNDESIRABLE FEELINGS RETURN => AVOIDANCE STRATEGIES ADOPTED AGAIN

ashley72

Postby runstrails » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks, Ashely for your insight. I applaud your desire to understand the workings of the mind.

As far as I am concerned, however, I get lost whenever 'Laws' appear whether its LoA or LoS. Must be the renegade in me :wink:.
It's like the discussion of vasanas and gunas in Advaita. It's all very interesting, but ultimately, only self-realization can neutralize those vasanas.

Again, I appreciate your wanting to understand the substrate of (unconscious and conscious) behavior. I do hope you'll get more useful feedback from others :D.
runstrails

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 pm

runstrails wrote:Thanks, Ashely for your insight. I applaud your desire to understand the workings of the mind.

As far as I am concerned, however, I get lost whenever 'Laws' appear whether its LoA or LoS. Must be the renegade in me :wink:.
It's like the discussion of vasanas and gunas in Advaita. It's all very interesting, but ultimately, only self-realization can neutralize those vasanas.

Again, I appreciate your wanting to understand the substrate of (unconscious and conscious) behavior. I do hope you'll get more useful feedback from others :D.

Thanks Runstrails for your response and support.

As an agoraphobic I've already gained valuable insights as a consequence of my disorder. However, I'm searching for a missing piece of the puzzle. It has something to do with the way we process sensations into feelings. The MC2 Method is on the right track.

When a sensation turns into a feeling... It happens when we categorise or label the sensation as positive or negative.

When you explore sensations you realise the sensations that arise during an orgasm don't seem very different from the sensations of a panic attack. Or the sensations of anxiety don't seem different from those of excitement. If this is true what is going on here?

As an agoraphobic I know we do not like experiencing certain sensations in certain scenarios (usually around people), so we tend to try and hold onto ourselves (resist) the sensation occurring when with people . This doesn't work very well.. It's near impossible to resist sensations. So we usually avoid people so we don't have to do the impossible.

Why are people with agoraphobia resisting sensations? Maybe they label or categorise them as bad! If so, what happens when we irrationally label our sensations as bad?

Most anxiety sufferers usually use a technique called exposure therapy to confront their fears gradually. They try and stay with the fear until the symptoms of anxiety disappear... They are not allowed to avoid the threat until they cope with their sensations.

Can you see coping or accepting our physical sensations may play some crucial role in forming our beliefs?
ashley72

Postby ZenOfchaos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am

Don't think I agree. The way I understand it the LOA isn't really to do with thoughts at all. When you are confident about something you don't have to think about it. It's not really about will. I don't know if there is an accurate way to describe it but the closest is having your whole body in a vibrational alignment. Like when you know you're going to win at something, or even when you're really sure you're going to avoid something nasty happening. You just feel it in your core.

I think too that LOA sets up what you want, what you REALLY want, even if what you consciously say isn't the same. Then you gotta take those chances.

In your desire to be a public speaker what about trying to attract the acceptance of sensations, thoughts, or anything else that you need to be a public speaker? Maybe the LOA is saying "hey I'm giving you the power to be a good public speaker. You never specified how you wanted to feel before hand!"

Not that I am an expert on this whatsover, its just my understanding.

Google the 'be-do-have paradigm' excerpt from CWG. It's relevant and an interesting read :)
ZenOfchaos

Postby ZenOfchaos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 am

Should also say that I'm not disagreeing with the psychology perspective per se. Just the way the LOA works in my understanding.

To merge what we both say together Bob Proctor has a recent video up on YouTube. I'm on the mobile right now so can't access it but it talks about overcoming that fear barrier.

I'll link it a bit later.
ZenOfchaos

Postby ashley72 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 am

ZenOfchaos wrote:Don't think I agree. The way I understand it the LOA isn't really to do with thoughts at all. When you are confident about something you don't have to think about it. It's not really about will. I don't know if there is an accurate way to describe it but the closest is having your whole body in a vibrational alignment. Like when you know you're going to win at something, or even when you're really sure you're going to avoid something nasty happening. You just feel it in your core.

I did read the SECRET some 15 years ago... so its a little hazy these days. However, if I quote the first four lines of Wikipedia on the Law of Attraction entry... its fairly clear its about positive or negative affirmations (thoughts) attracting positive or negative results (outcomes).

The law of attraction is the name given to the belief that "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results.This belief is based upon the idea that people and their thoughts are both made from pure energy, and the belief that like energy attracts like energy. One example used by a proponent of the law of attraction is that if a person opened an envelope expecting to see a bill, then the law of attraction would "confirm" those thoughts and contain a bill when opened. A person who decided to instead expect a cheque might, under the same law, find a cheque instead of a bill.~ Wikipedia

ZenOfchaos wrote:In your desire to be a public speaker what about trying to attract the acceptance of sensations, thoughts, or anything else that you need to be a public speaker? Maybe the LOA is saying "hey I'm giving you the power to be a good public speaker. You never specified how you wanted to feel before hand!"

I do not follow what you mean by "attract the acceptance of sensations, thoughts"?

If you're implying it is possible to attract "acceptable" sensations or thoughts. I would argue that can't be done.

What I'm saying is that protective thoughts arise to protect us from unpleasant sensations like having to speak in public. These unpleasant sensations are very typical for 75% of the population. However, the people who use avoidance strategies are seeking to escape the unpleasant sensations.

These protective thoughts are limiting the life experiences of the sufferer. The way for a sufferer to counter these protective thoughts, is to exchange those protective thoughts for positive affirmations like "I can do this". However, you then have to be willing to fully experience the unpleasant sensations that go with "doing the public speaking". It is my view, that the new positive thoughts, plus facing the unwanted sensations forms the new belief... "I can handle public speaking".
ashley72

Postby ZenOfchaos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 am

Forget what Wikipedia says. That is just positive thinking which is grossly inadequate. Mind tends to go with what experience tells it (or rather its interpretation of experience). Using thoughts is an aid to LOA, not the means. The main mode of operation is belief which makes your body and mind work congruently. It's believing something deeply rather then superficially or even artificially.
What I meant was attract the ability to 'accept' sensations rather than wishing them away.

Also "i would argue that it can't.be done". Maybe that belief is attracting that set of circumstances. Maybe you can't feel 'acceptable' emotions because you have a set of beliefs that don't attract those acceptable emotions. In the words of adya, is it true? Do you know absolutely without reservation that its not possible to have acceptable emotions prior to public speaking? What if changing that belief deeply allowed you to attract positive emotions?
ZenOfchaos

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion