Hanging up your books?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Hanging up your books?

Postby rachMiel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Poring over a new book about life is often more compelling than directly *experiencing* life.

The new book gets the endorphins flowing, starts up that delicious *becoming* process: The words/ideas in this book will transform me, bring me one step closer to full understanding, enlightenment.

Directly experiencing life, on the other hand, often feels disappointingly ordinary, unspectacular, even uncomfortable. At times you find yourself molding your direct experience to fit the shiny theories.

Something is wrong with this picture.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: Hanging up your books?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Interesting perspective rach.

Maybe one seeks to find confirmation in the views / experiences of others, an inclination to 'connect', and where it 'resonates' one feels as if one has been validated.

Imagining/projecting is always better or worse than the reality because the reality is everything collapsed 'into'.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:41 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:Maybe one seeks to find confirmation in the views / experiences of others, an inclination to 'connect', and where it 'resonates' one feels as if one has been validated.

This sounds more benign than seeking The Answer in a book. But it's a slippery slope, isn't it ... ?

Here's what I've learned about myself: That thrill of excitement at finding what looks to be "the right book" -- the book that's finally going to enable me to take the leap -- is at best a second-hand thrill, at worst a fairy tale that just delays the leap.

The real work is in the moment, yes? And no manual is needed for that.
rachMiel

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 am

Ah, now I see where you're coming from, sorry I 'missed' it.

Years ago I saw a movie I think it may have been called the Book of Life - about a guy who wandered into all sorts of adventures 'looking' for the meaning and keys to life. (spoiler - but I doubt it would still be around anyway) in his searching he encountered all manner of scary, loving, happy, sad, joyful, terrifying experiences and relationships and flawed 'gurus' and people advising him about finding this 'mythical' book, the holy grail of sorts. Eventually at the end of his life he climbs an arduous mountain and at the top finds THE BOOK OF LIFE sitting there, huge book, on a rock. He's in all sorts of emotional tears, deliciously opens the book and on the first page there is a mirror.... followed by empty pages, that 'fill' with depictions of his experiences, and the last is also a mirror.

It 'touched' me.
It penetrated.

The real work is in the moment, yes? And no manual is needed for that

Absolutely, you are writing it / living it.

You could always make a 'book' like the one he found on the mountain :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:08 am

Yep.

For me, experience often serves theory, life as proof of concept.

That's what's wrong with the picture.
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:04 pm

I have the opposite experience. I'm tired of reading books. The thought of reading a book sounds onerous! But, yeah, used to gobble them up.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Onceler wrote:I have the opposite experience. I'm tired of reading books. The thought of reading a book sounds onerous! But, yeah, used to gobble them up.

Nice. :-)

I'm in the process of graduating from book gobbling to being.

For me, when analytical thought goes up against being, being usually loses. And analytical thought is sooooooo enticing. Siren song.

It's a leap, to hang up the books.
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Woah, hold my horses there pardner!

Hanging up the books, "graduating" to being ... these are extreme actions, perpetuate the grasping/aversion schtick.

Better: I'll shelve the books, for now, and focus on being. When I need them -- for clarity, understanding, inspiration -- they'll be there. Heck, maybe I'll even alphabetize them ... by essence. ;-)

The middle way.
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:09 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Onceler wrote:I have the opposite experience. I'm tired of reading books. The thought of reading a book sounds onerous! But, yeah, used to gobble them up.

Nice. :-)

I'm in the process of graduating from book gobbling to being.

For me, when analytical thought goes up against being, being usually loses. And analytical thought is sooooooo enticing. Siren song.

It's a leap, to hang up the books.

I'm not sure I'm practicing being...... I simply find that I want to consume life. I want to experience everything..... sensory, emotional, cognitive experiences. In fact....life wants to be looked at, engaged, consumed, spat out, rolled in. I'm more and more convinced, that's our job. Reading, of course, is wonderful, but life pulls me out of books sooner or later. Is this being?

Maybe the way you're meant to consume life is by reading?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Onceler wrote:I'm not sure I'm practicing being...... I simply find that I want to consume life. I want to experience everything..... sensory, emotional, cognitive experiences. In fact....life wants to be looked at, engaged, consumed, spat out, rolled in. I'm more and more convinced, that's our job.

+1 I think of it as an opportunity, not a job. Maybe that's because I'm a lazy monkey. ;-)

Maybe the way you're meant to consume life is by reading?

I dunno about "meant to" ... but I'm definitely conditioned to engage in contemplation, by my culture, my DNA, my personal history. And I think that's what's happening these days: As my bondage to conditioning lessens my tendency to go analytical lessens, and the other "half" of the picture flows in: being, presence, awareness, subjective experience.
rachMiel

Postby karmarider » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Glad to see that you're considering this question, Rachmiel.

In my view, experience is the thing. There isn't much I need to know, only to remember, and I already remember. The only thing I know with an inexpressible certainty is that there is a sense of existence. I know who I am.

Everything else I know is malleable. Fequently, what we think we know really comes from other people. Knowledge serves me in my experiencing. When knowledge stops serving me, I change it easily and quickly.

And so I see this process of awakening, or becoming natural again, being natual, as experience. Experience is the aliveness of knowledge.
karmarider

Postby runstrails » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:24 pm

rachmiel wrote:
Better: I'll shelve the books, for now, and focus on being. When I need them -- for clarity, understanding, inspiration -- they'll be there. Heck, maybe I'll even alphabetize them ... by essence. ;-)

The middle way.

:lol:
I'm at the middle way. I enjoy reading non duality type things---but I'm not looking for any magic bullet (like I used to be). Reading non-dual type literature is more like having a conversation with like-minded people. However, I also find that reading this literature serves as a powerful reminder of who you are and that kind of everyday reminder in the midst of the chaos (that is my life) is useful indeed!
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:37 pm

karmarider wrote:In my view, experience is the thing. There isn't much I need to know, only to remember, and I already remember. The only thing I know with an inexpressible certainty is that there is a sense of existence. I know who I am.

Do you ever still reach for a book (online text, video, etc.) to research something, clarify a fine point, get inspired? Or is life/experience your guide, all you need?
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:39 pm

runstrails wrote:
rachmiel wrote:

The middle way.

:lol:
I'm at the middle way. I enjoy reading non duality type things---but I'm not looking for any magic bullet (like I used to be). Reading non-dual type literature is more like having a conversation with like-minded people. However, I also find that reading this literature serves as a powerful reminder of who you are and that kind of everyday reminder in the midst of the chaos (that is my life) is useful indeed!

You *are* a middle wayer, aren'tcha rt? One can see it in pretty much everything you post here.

Mebbe it's all those years of running trails? :-)
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks, rM. Trail running is humbling indeed.
I wanted to add, that I've lost interest in fiction altogether. All those stories!!! who needs 'em?!
runstrails

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion