Doubting and Believing at the same time

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Doubting and Believing at the same time

Postby Berabouman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:26 am

Hello everyone. I've just recently started reading The Power of Now and it's been quite a mind-blowing (perhaps literally) experience for me! So many things I've felt and thought in the past make more sense now. While I don't agree 100% with everything Tolle says, I do resonant a lot with what he's talking about in the book.

Though while one part of me is running around in joy and feels that it doesn't need to worry about anything any more, another part of me is skeptical and wondering if this is for "real" (whatever "real" actually is) Is that just my mind? The last gasp of the ego? I am doubting and confused...but at the same time, I somehow feel very grounded and centred in my doubt and confusion, whereas generally I would be more anxious and insecure.

Just to provide a little background here, I'm coming to a book from about 20+ years of abuse and mental illnesses (among them depression, PTSD and OCD) I feel that if I could somehow connect more deeply to the ideas in the book all that "illness" would vanish. I don't suffer from any of them very acutely anymore, but I have this sense that "the last piece of the puzzle" is spiritual instead of to be found in medication or conventional forms of therapy (not that there is anything wrong with those, they've saved my life more than once)

Or maybe all that is just the conceit of the mind? Still doubting the truth, and still believing the truth.

It's been (and is continuing to be) a powerful experience for me, and I would welcome any insights or thoughts you might have on it.
Berabouman

Re: Doubting and Believing at the same time

Postby randomguy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Berabouman. That's great. I focused on what resonated with me from Tolle as well, and left what didn't alone. I think skepticism is good. Mind tries to protect what it thinks is the self. That's just what happens. Mind hangs on until it doesn't. There is still the peaceful observation of the movements of mind and the thoughts of self. Like you said it can be grounding to notice the peacefulness that is always there within but in my experience it can be also feel like a growing familiarity with groundlessness or a comfortable free floating. It can be scary to think there might be messing with the mind or accepting of what is false. What's more letting go of some defenses can be downright terrifying. What is nice about this kind of investigation is that it is on one's own authority. You get to feel what resonates as true in your heart. You are the one seeing life unfold.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Re: Doubting and Believing at the same time

Postby rachMiel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Imo doubting and believing are flip sides of the same coin. When you do the doubt/believe dance, you divide experience into opposites: wrong/right, bad/good, black/white, false/true. And that's what got you into this mess to begin with!

Far more valuable: To see, moment to moment, the danger of such divisive thinking.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion