Eckhart was/is social anxious?

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Eckhart was/is social anxious?

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:55 pm

I read in an interview, Eckhart says:
"I've always enjoyed being in the background, sitting in a cafe, watching people.
But now, when I sit in a cafe, sometimes people watch me. It's a challenge."

What part of him finds this a challenge?
His old socially anxious ego?
Eggs uses hens to become more eggs
AnonyMouse

Re: Eckhart was/is social anxious?

Postby Onceler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Perhaps he feels they know him and want something from him....or are projecting their own view of who he is on to him.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm

AnonyMouse wrote:I read in an interview, Eckhart says:
"I've always enjoyed being in the background, sitting in a cafe, watching people.

Since he doesn't define what he means by "challenge" this is all in the realm of speculation.

That said, it might very well be his ego. It's not like he doesn't have one (isn't one), right?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Makes sense, both

I also read somewhere that Eckhart was very very socially anxious in his younger life
Perhaps his big/anxious ego combined with extreme suffering and great curiosity was the key to his awakening
I can relate to that
AnonyMouse

Postby rachMiel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:32 pm

AnonyMouse wrote:Perhaps his big/anxious ego combined with extreme suffering and great curiosity was the key to his awakening

It's a potent and unstable combination.
rachMiel

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:40 pm

rachMiel wrote:It's a potent and unstable combination.

How do you mean..
In a bad or good way, or can be both?
AnonyMouse

Postby rachMiel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:07 pm

I meant in a good way: a combo that could lead to personal transformation.

But you're right, it could go either way, good or bad, or anywhere in-between. How's that for covering all the bases? ;-)

I truly believe that vast energy comes from feeling whatever happens to present itself in your mind-body: ego, social anxiety, suffering, curiosity. That in the suppression of emotions, negative and positive, energy is also suppressed. And energy is imo necessary for transformation; it's what gets us out of the armchair.
rachMiel

Postby AnonyMouse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 pm

rachMiel wrote:I meant in a good way: a combo that could lead to personal transformation.

But you're right, it could go either way, good or bad, or anywhere in-between. How's that for covering all the bases? ;-)

I truly believe that vast energy comes from feeling whatever happens to present itself in your mind-body: ego, social anxiety, suffering, curiosity. That in the suppression of emotions, negative and positive, energy is also suppressed. And energy is imo necessary for transformation; it's what gets us out of the armchair.

Thank you, I was just thinking about making a thread about how I suppress my ego (and energy), because I hate it. I hate my ego so deeply and I want it to die and go away. But I'm afraid that the "I" that hates the ego is a split of the ego itself (like Gollum), not my true self.. So part of my ego hates my ego. My true self does'nt hate anything. hm? I'm not sure how it is

Was'nt Eckharts "I can't live with myself anymore" the same as "I hate myself"?
How can pure love and awareness hate something?
AnonyMouse

Postby ashley72 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm

In certain social settings Eckhart may still feel he doesn't belong to other social groups. This subtle shame or inadequacy leads him to want to avoid standing out in the crowd (a desire to be secretive). If he treats people looking at him in a cafe, as a kind of threat, his Amygdala would trigger a "freeze" response. Sitting in the background was Eckhart's way of keeping him safe.

More & more exposure will off course help him stop treating this kind of social situation as threatening. He needs to stop being secretive... and start to be loud and noticeable in the cafe, in order to expose his Amygdala fully to his greatest fear.... Standing out in the crowd! When he does this exposure he may feel unpleasant sensations, but with continued exposure he should eventually find it far less challenging.

What most people don't know, is that rational thinking cannot overcome our fears. "Unpleasant" Exposure is the only way to treat fear!

I did a social anxiety exposure yesterday. I had a mild panic attack for about 15 minutes at different intervals over an 8 hour exposure. The mild panic attacks didn't bother me, because I now fully understand the fear circuit and how it works. If I don't have these panic attacks, I'm not actually retraining my Amygdala to stop treating certain situation as non-threatening.

BTW, just because a person may do public speaking without fear (as is the case for Eckhart), doesn't mean their Amygdala cannot become conditioned to react to an empty room as threatening!

When you understand how our Amygdala works by association, a lot of contradictory behaviours make far greater sense again.

His Amygdala is what makes sitting in the cafe socially challenging.

Check out this >> http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12064
ashley72

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 am

AnonyMouse wrote:I hate my ego so deeply and I want it to die and go away. But I'm afraid that the "I" that hates the ego is a split of the ego itself (like Gollum), not my true self.. So part of my ego hates my ego. My true self does'nt hate anything. hm?

I think you nailed it! Your true self might understand the suffering that your ego causes you, but I don't think it would hate it or want it to die. So your ego has multiple personality syndrome and its various parts are fighting with each other, sometimes quite violently. It's kind of funny, right? Like a gang of imaginary friends battling it out in your head! ;-)
rachMiel

Postby AnonyMouse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:22 am

rachMiel wrote:I think you nailed it! Your true self might understand the suffering that your ego causes you, but I don't think it would hate it or want it to die. So your ego has multiple personality syndrome and its various parts are fighting with each other, sometimes quite violently. It's kind of funny, right? Like a gang of imaginary friends battling it out in your head! ;-)

Perhaps. It feels somewhat right, and gives me some relief.. I should stop hating, suppressing and torturing my ego
How can my ego be glued together again? That feels like the first important step towards healing

But.. Wasn't Eckharts "I can't live with myself anymore" the same as my "I loath/hate myself"?
How can pure love and awareness hate something?
Did'nt he split himself too? I guess obviously not, but still..
AnonyMouse

Postby AnonyMouse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 am

Reading about "the ID, ego and super-ego" (Freud) now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego
So many parts/layers/selfes. I guess we all have them.. but mine are in conflict

I think my "super-ego" is too strong. I don't know. So confused
Then I think.. WHO/WHAT in me sees that I have many "egos"?
AnonyMouse

Postby peas » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Video in question may be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNO3hlo7Yc
peas

Postby AnonyMouse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Look at that video at 5:40 to 6:00
Seems that Eckhart indirectly says he does not have an ego?
AnonyMouse

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:05 pm

AnonyMouse wrote:How can my ego be glued together again?

What happens if you ask yourself this question and patiently, quietly listen for a response?
rachMiel

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion