Ego attack

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Ego attack

Postby ashley72 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:30 am

Recently I've been delving into the role the Amygdala plays in processing our emotional responses to threats.

You can break threatening situations into two main categories, physical threats & ego threats.

1. A physical threat would be someone holding a gun to your head and saying "If you move I'm going to blow your brains out".

2. An ego threat is a threat to your self image or self esteem. Someone calling you a moron is an example.

The 1st threat needs the Amygdala to quickly get you to do either a fight/flight/freeze response. In the case of the example, fighting back or fleeing greatly increases your change of losing your life. Whereas freezing greatly increases your chance of survival. So your best option here is to freeze. :wink:

In the case of the 2nd threat the Amygdala can also kick in with fight/flight/freeze response. But in this case you're not in any physical danger so all of those responses are inappropriate or redundant. Some kids are taught the saying "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

Interestingly, this saying is an extremely rational and helpful bit of conscious processing. If you have the "presence" to remember this during an ego attack, your neo-cortex is probably not going to get easily hijacked inappropriately by your Amygdala. This is because, a saying like "sticks & stones...", helps you re-interpret ego-insults as being non-threatening and merely discomfort.... this prevents your Amygdala hijacking the situation and elevating the Amygdala response into a physical fight with someone unconsciously hurling verbal insults.

ashley72

Re: Ego attack

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 am

So basically Ash are you saying the stuff like 'turn the other cheek'. 'if a man would steal your coat give him also your shirt' - 'in this moment this is what is required of me and so I accept that', 'it is what it is'

those 'switches' that no real harm is occurring has a positive physical / mental energetic response in stress situations?

The thing is, I also think that they work brilliantly in 'physical' threat situations as well as ego threat situations, mostly because there is a different clarity to thought and response in love - which is the opposite to fear, which is the step beyond natural fright into fight or flight. One can 'recognise' the 'fright' and not fall to fear, if one chooses to fall to love in a situation be it ego or physical. I'm not saying 'fright' will not happen, of course it will - but if one recognises Choice after fright stimuli one need not go into fight or flight at all, one can be with what is.

It's also interesting that you used 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but names / words will never hurt me'...

we learned it as having a second line, 'when they're dead and in their grave, they'll think the names they called ye.'

(maybe from my Granny) and I always thought that's how it went, but I can't find the additions when I googled it.
Even weirder is that I never 'thought' about folks thinking when they're dead and in their grave... but after my nde it actually made incredible sense in terms of clarity of choices made in love or in fear and all perspective awareness.

There's still room to widen your viewing Ash, as you are comfortable to of course.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby ashley72 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 am

You're not thinking of the version....

'while sticks and stones may break my bones....whips and chains excite me"?

Only joking!
ashley72

Postby starting » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Why sometimes it is easy to respond to physical threats. You can see people who can deal very well with physical threats for example, however need an extreme effort to respond to an ego threat or answer to it very unconsciously ?

As you wrote Ashley, amygdala will "quickly get you to do either a fight/flight/freeze response", some people can be "present" to deal with these physical threats during and after the situation. But during an "ego Attack" it can change completely... "words will probably hurt me"

Smilleyjen wrote "One can 'recognise' the 'fright' and not fall to fear, if one chooses to fall to love in a situation be it ego or physical."
For these people I described, they are not choosing love in response to an ego threat? And they can choose it, independently of the amygdala functions...
“Your life is in transition from a caterpillar to a butterfly. Something may be saying: `Where is my leaf?’ Don't fear. Trust. All is well. How auspicious that Grace has picked you up like this. Hold this gratitude inside your heart” ~ Mooji
starting

Postby ashley72 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 pm

starting wrote:For these people I described, they are not choosing love in response to an ego threat? And they can choose it, independently of the amygdala functions...

There are sometimes medical reasons why our neocortex (presence of mind) is inhibited.....& the hypothalamus & Amygdala are implicated in those medical reasons. Watch this short documentary on a case study.

http://youtu.be/MkmlDcLQ-r4

I do agree with you however in normal brain functioning individuals, that cognitive behavior training coupled with exposure therapy can certainly help prevent hijack of the neocortex by sufferers who seem to be predisposed to strong emotional reactive (rage, panic).
ashley72

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion