Spiritual Advice Is Just That - Spiritual Advice

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Spiritual Advice Is Just That - Spiritual Advice

Postby David92506 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:28 pm

I was wondering if people would agree with me on this concept:

Many people have been abused as children, which they bury deep into their subconscious. However, as adults we often have negative thoughts about the opposite sex, or same sex, or about relationships, or life in general. For example, a woman may sincerely believe, "All men are scum." Just go onto dating sites and you can see this attitude. The thoughts she has is generated from the events that happened in her childhood. Now, if you tell her to "let go" of those thoughts and embrace silence, they will always come back.

My therapist used to say, "You can't change the past but you can heal the past." I had to spend years revisiting my childhood, writing things out, and then talking to my Mom about those events. Once I processed all those hurtful events, the feelings of hate and anger went away. Before I did all this, I did try "letting go" but it just never fully worked.

So if you catch yourself thinking negatively, such as, "All men are scum" it's best to see where these thoughts are coming from. Are they just meandering thoughts? Or are they being produced because what happened in your childhood? It seems to me that a lot of spiritual advice is a short-cut for growth. Another example is forgiveness. Forgiveness takes a lot of work. You have to write down the wrong that has been done to you. Process it on paper. Write about it. And then let go of those hurtful thoughts and feelings. However, with spiritual advice, just initially let go and you don't have to do all that other stuff. It seems to me that why spiritual advice is so attractive is because it offers a short-cut.

Don't you believe that many of our thoughts and feelings are organically produced because of childhood events? They will never go away until we revisit the cause and process those events. The trouble with spiritual advice is that, although it may be truth, it's not always the best route to take until you get others things taken care of.
David92506

Re: Spiritual Advice Is Just That - Spiritual Advice

Postby Ralph » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 am

David92506 wrote:Don't you believe that many of our thoughts and feelings are organically produced because of childhood events? They will never go away until we revisit the cause and process those events.

Yes, I agree ..... this reminds me of a quote I read a while back and that stuck with me since.

" memories buried alive never die, ..they will show up . "

The trouble with spiritual advice is that, although it may be truth, it's not always the best route to take until you get others things taken care of.

I would say that ... all is included and nothing is excluded when it comes to spiritual advice.
Ralph

Re: Spiritual Advice Is Just That - Spiritual Advice

Postby peas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 am

It's not that Eckhart says don't ever consider the past and discover where the pain body formed itself. It's just that the past is gone and as such serves no purpose in understanding the real you. It can only point to the false mind-made you.

Best to start in the pure consciousness that is hidden in this moment. Any insight from your his-story will show itself soon enough without forcing it.
peas

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion