If neurons are the transistors of the brain.....

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

If neurons are the transistors of the brain.....

Postby ashley72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:47 am

If neurons are the transistors of the brain => http://www.gizmag.com/harvard-synaptic-transistor-artificail-intelligence/29668/

Where is the software or mind code reside?

By the way, "synaptic" transistors are not binary "0" or "1". They are analog, thus have unlimited states... Think it of more a percentage of connection.

The question is where does the software programmer come from?

A software programmer writes the code which tells the transistor what state to be... In a normal transistor that would be either "0" or "1". These transistor obviously dynamically change based on variable "inputs".

A little thought experience. Imagine an infant that was immediately place inside a seal box, no sound or light from the outside world. The infant was feed intravenously and oxygen was provided. What sort of Mind would develop?

Would self consciousness develop if there was no opportunity for the senses to make contact with a rich outside experience.

The box would have no temperature change, no sound, no light, no taste, no smell etc.

In other words little to no experience would be sensed.

My gut feeling is the mind "code" which dictates the settings or calibration of the synaptic transistors, which has the trait of plasticity (adaptative to changing environment), writes itself based on the environment (experience).

As of 2012, the highest transistor count in a commercially available CPU is over 2.5 billion transistors, in Intel's 10-core Xeon Westmere-EX.

A human brain has approx 100 billion neurons (Synaptic Transistors). According to Moore's Law, the transistor count of the integrated circuits doubles every two years, this means that the world's largest computer will reach 100 billion transistors within about 10 - 11 years.
ashley72

Re: If neurons are the transistors of the brain.....

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:28 am

Ash said:
A little thought experience. Imagine an infant that was immediately place inside a seal box, no sound or light from the outside world. The infant was feed intravenously and oxygen was provided. What sort of Mind would develop?

Would self consciousness develop if there was no opportunity for the senses to make contact with a rich outside experience.

The box would have no temperature change, no sound, no light, no taste, no smell etc.

In other words little to no experience would be sensed.

My gut feeling is the mind "code" which dictates the settings or calibration of the synaptic transistors, which has the trait of plasticity (adaptative to changing environment), writes itself based on the environment (experience).

Interesting musing Ash, for those musing it, it would come down to awareness, capacity and willingness to look at all possibilities, and whether one is willing to explore evidence outside of the 'birth - death' frame of reference.

My gut feeling is that the baby in the box would have severely limited, but not totally absent personal (individual) opportunity to distinguish the experiences of separation and contrasts in physical form.

If they are otherwise physically able, they would feel their bodies in contrast to their environment. They would feel the 'introduction', processing and the 'expelling' of nutrients, albeit that may be similar to their experience in the womb, it would be a distinguishable sensation that might lead to thoughts, even to beliefs about it even prior to birth; as would their movements of limbs and torso and head - as a sensation itself.

In many ways you are describing the uterus as an environment, although babies are known to recognise familiar sounds and movement from within the uterus - it's not 'sound proof' or totally absorbent of motion. So the sudden absence of sound and movements would also be an 'environmental' distinction that might prompt them to wonder 'where am I? where did the noises go? (albeit they wouldn't know them as 'noise' just 'is') until they got used to that new frame of environmental stimuli.

In reality the intravenous methods would require 'changing', and that would provide stimuli that the brain could 'monitor' and unpack, unless one is just going to have them have that experience with the one insertion and let them die from the complications as they arose. Even so, as those complications arose, they would notice the contrasts, and logically - within their awareness and capacity make 'sense' of that through thinking.

If they still had beyond the physically stimulated empathic range they could have all sorts of experiences, right there in the box. :D

If you'd be openly interested, I could share about the experiences and capacities of a child that was early stage aborted. Her 'knowledge' and experiences didn't rely on the development of the 'brain', obviously.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Re: If neurons are the transistors of the brain.....

Postby ashley72 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:57 am

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I think I found the answer to my question quite unexpectedly... which was "Where is the software or mind code reside?"

http://www.stanford.edu/group/brainsinsilicon/learning.html

The genome, the genetic code or "genetic order" that is passed on to the "offspring" contains about a billion (10^9) bits.

But "All" the connections (brain wiring diagram) between the synapse - are a hundred million times more bits - which is a quadrillion (10^15) connections among the brain's trillion (10^12) neurons!!!!

Having exhausted all information available in the genome, neural circuits customize themselves through internal and external interaction, a learning process known as epigenesis.

So the answer was partly in the genome, and partly obtained by internal & external interactions. :wink:
ashley72

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion