We Don't Live Life, Life Lives Us

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

We Don't Live Life, Life Lives Us

Postby David92506 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:18 am

I'm a Zen student and I've been meditating 30 minutes every morning and then I walk 6 miles practicing "no thought" or just experiencing and noting. For example, I can feel the cold wind blow against my face and my fingers, I notice the cloud formation, the beautiful flowers, the stunning tree, with no thought. I don't decide what to notice next, I don't decide what to feel next, I just let it happen. I may just experience the wind for a long period and then notice how my feet feel while walking. It's not an easy task because during the walk I may be feeling the wind but then I think, "I should look at the clouds, or I should look at the flowers. I'm wasting my time if I don't notice them." However, all in all, I don't direct but let nature direct what I experience. I'm trying to put this experience in my own words so I hope I'm making sense.

I've read several Eckhart Tolle's books and I feel a renewed inspiration.

Today I bought a brand new pair of hiking shoes and an annual forest pass. I want to start walking in the forest instead of in the city streets. I just did it without much thought into it. This I believe is my first awareness of "We Don't Live Life, Life Lives Us" experience.

I was wondering what others experience is?
Last edited by David92506 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
David92506

Re: We Don't Live Life, Life Lives Us

Postby Sighclone » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome David -

Are there any seams between you and the universe?

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby David92506 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 am

Hi Andy,

Thank you for responding to my post. From my understanding, you are asking if there are any other examples? If this is what you are asking I'm not consciously aware of any. I would very much hear your experiences.
David92506

Postby Sighclone » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:09 am

Many nondual teachers have expressed the essential passivity of living without conscious will. Certainly much of my life is just a flow. Gary Weber is particularly clear on this: http://happiness-beyond-thought.com/ . Being aware of many conditioned forces at work, which lead to activity (like eating when hungry) is normal. Would you say that you are a "Witness" to all of it? Are you a Witness to all of David?

Is that a duality (Witness and David?)

What you are expressing, however, and particularly in nature, is a common experience. My question in an earlier post had to do with the separation between David and the wind...is there a barrier between them?

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby David92506 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 am

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting on my thread and taking an interest. During the 6 mile walk it is not totally silence. I often say to myself, "Wow, that was a beautiful tree!" "The sun feels so warm on my face." I often have a short commentary on what I just experienced. I did read in Eckhart Tolle book that what to look for is the non-thought gap between the commentary. And as we keep up the practice the non-thought gap grows. So I guess there is still a barrier between me and the wind.

That's wonderful your living your life in non-thought and the Universe flows through you. When did you become this way?
David92506

Postby Onceler » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm

I have lately had the experience that nature is 'true'. There is no artifice to it. Every other human made thing had its origins in thought, but nothing in nature originates in thought.

So essentially, in the human world, we are surrounded by thought or the residue of thought, while in nature the essence is no thought.....just what we bring to it.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby treasuretheday » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi David! I love the title of your thread! What a sweet embrace of mystery it is. I love hearing about how you bought the pass to walk through the forest, and noticed how good that felt... took in how nice and lovely this new endeavor seemed. And yet, I sense there was a bit of surprise there. As if this idea was not quite an idea of your "own!" Yet, you knew it was right for you, all at the same time!

Yes! Life living you, and you being receptive. Life wants to co-create with us, to bring us experiences that will help us grow and evolve toward love. You are allowing Life to propose a dance, and gracefully accepting the invitation. How smoothly then, the dance flows!
David92506 wrote:I often say to myself, "Wow, that was a beautiful tree!" "The sun feels so warm on my face." I often have a short commentary on what I just experienced.
Our True Nature is to love and feel delight and wonder. Your awareness and reflections are healing, life-affirming, and life-enhancing. Trust that.

If you were walking through the woods obsessed with worry, doubt, internal debate, fantasies, discontent over your stock portfolio, then yes ... obstacles are being erected between you and the wind or whatever is in front of you. We all know, we feel how such thoughts deny the soul nourishment, restrict our vision, even totally obscure our ability to see and to be.

Notice how you can feel this widsom that nature evokes. You can feel it in your body. As you take in the beauty around you in the forest there is a connection with the splendor around you that is a knowing, an intuition. This realization echoes from your heart. This wisdom can be received by the mind, but it really doesn't begin there.

You sound like you are on a "prayerful" path of attention, appreciation and gratitude to me!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby Sighclone » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:03 pm

That's wonderful your living your life in non-thought and the Universe flows through you. When did you become this way?

I do not live my life in non-thought. Gary Weber, however, does for 95% of the time, but not me. My life is full of thoughts. But I still experience the flow of it. I seem to sense, spontaneously, what to do and it happens. It is not as though I sit and ruminate about the "next thing that I really really should do after great deliberation." However, I do sit with my "Master List of Things to Do This Year" regularly. This is a simple sheet of paper with a vertical line down the middle. On the right side is the "Big List of Stuff To Do." On the left is "What To Do Today." At the beginning of the next day, I revise the left side -- sometimes stuff is left over. When the left side is full, I re-write the whole page on a new sheet -- this reminds me of the Important but Not Urgent (Covey - quadrant two) stuff on the Master List. After that morning process, I start out on my day and if something appears in the day which will move me off my list, I usually go with it.

Regarding the seamlessness of experience (wind vs. face) I was intentionally pushing you a little further. The source for that is a recent pair of books by Rupert Spira titled "Presence - The Art of Peace and Happiness and The Intimacy of All Experience" These are "advanced" texts for most people. Wonderful but challenging. If you wish to get some additional commentary on your experiences, I encourage you to read them. His website is here:

http://non-duality.rupertspira.com/stor ... experience

Andy
Sighclone

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion